Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I can remember the day I picked up my Motorhome,driving home grinning away like a Cheshire Cat,totally ignorant thinking of happy days.
Then things start to change! You buy Magazines,join websites and all the information you can handle and more starts running around your head.You find out you can't just live your dream because you didn't know about hook ups ,battery banks,solar pannels,regulators,12v,invertors and the like.
Anyway you get the van ££££££. Find out tyres with great tread are actually 8yrs old and been on van from new!( watch out for that one ) so new tyres needed ££££££. Tax and insurance ( to be expected and cheaper than thought) ££. Sort out solar pannels and regulator £££££££ .12v TV plus Leads for various things ££££££ .
All that's sorted,then off to Scotland wild camping for a fortnight feeling a lot lighter in he wallet ,however to have the best holiday of my life and wake up with views like that was priceless.
Anyway back home you look at your van,in this case a 2004 looking tired autotrail,so polish it up and it's looking good, Infact years younger!
So you think happy days and look ahead to your next trip.Then it hits you more info, I now find out about resealing!!! Apparently roof lights should be resealed every 5yrs or so,lockers skirts etc at some point!!! More bloody £££££££££££££
There's me trying to save for Xmas .
Aside from the above all is well in Vlads world ,I even let Mrs Vlad drive home today ,1st time,and we all survived.I was just wondering how many of you do this resealing or even knew it had to be done. And is it really necessary.
If so instead of a mini meet anyone up for a bank job.

VLAD.

Last edited:
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Had my Pilote which was 12 years old no problem as already said if no prob leave alone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I feel so sorry for you I have woken the pigeon and attached a fiver to his leg and sent him down to you, I will expect some change. On a serious note now.
Re-seal???, 11 motorhomes, never done it. Check the joints yourself for signs of cracking or sections missing. Most Funsters will probably give the same answer unless they re-seal motorhomes for a living.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Never been told it had to be done after a set time I just check them when cleaning roof

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
No Need for the pigeon.the post was ment to be tongue in cheek .I suppose the replys say what the thread was meant to indicate.You buy your van set it up but the more you read ,the more you seem to be told what you need or what you should be doing and when. Now I know it's only ADVICE: but choosing which of it to follow ain't that easy.
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
never resealed a motorhome but boy wished I did when I had that Coachman caravan many years ago.:ROFLMAO:

If and its a big If I was going to do it I would do it myself.

I find a monthly scoot round with a decent damp meter, understanding what one means and then if you have a leek ( ive had 3 motorhomes and a leek in every one :Blush: find out why and where and fix it before the damage gets too bad. :thumb:

all of mine involved locker door's, There's your first clue :winky:

A good look around and spotting any potential problems ie cracked sealant and jobs done.

So stop panicking, stop worrying and keep enjoying :thumb:

Ps I reckon within 2 years you will be in the shop for another Motorhome anyway :winky:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
No Need for the pigeon.the post was ment to be tongue in cheek .I suppose the replys say what the thread was meant to indicate.You buy your van set it up but the more you read ,the more you seem to be told what you need or what you should be doing and when. Now I know it's only ADVICE: but choosing which of it to follow ain't that easy.
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

As you know by now a lot of the advice is very dodgy but it all goes into our heads. Which advice we choose I suppose maps out our future in this expensive hobby.
Whatever you decide good luck and no offence was intended with the pigeon.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have even seen posts saying A frames are illegal:Eeek:

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I know who's doing the gassing in our van,it's always the dog

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And someone that knows someone that's been gassed :Eeek:

I know someone who knew someone who had a friend who lived in the same street ans someone was gassed by an A-Frame which was connected with reverse polarity.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
...... And, it was 23'9" long

and was for sale for [STRIKE]£29999[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£26999[/STRIKE][HI] £24999[/HI] [STRIKE]£31999[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £22999[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£18999[/STRIKE] [HI]£14999[/HI] [STRIKE]£21995 less toys and deposit[/STRIKE]

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I know someone who knew someone who had a friend who lived in the same street ans someone was gassed by an A-Frame which was connected with reverse polarity.

All well and good, but was the A-frame resealed at any time ?

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
All well and good, but was the A-frame resealed at any time ?

its good idea to re-seal the a frame keeps out any damp, give it good wax oil as well, it will help keeps its value, you know it makes sense:thumb:

ps dont forget to change the tyres every other trip, dont want a blow out:ROFLMAO:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Don't worry Vlad - Advice is advice, you can take it or leave it! Advice is given on the basis of it being a perfect world....and it isn't, so don't worry about being a perfect owner! Many get by without doing everything.

The reason people do this, is to look after their investment. If you are likely to trade in against another, rather than reselling yourself - then don't panic as they will mark it down whatever you do!

If you are going to keep it until it falls apart - then do the best you can as it will last longer.

You can be a perfect owner, in a perfect world where money isn't an issue and no one has bills to pay. It doesn't exist! Just enjoy!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well Vlad if you read Jims and my reply to Scouts post I think you will have the jist ::bigsmile::winky:
All they are doing to Scouts van is tidying it up :Smile:Not resealing, really simply cutting back over spill from sealent and sticking new on top :winky: If it makes him happy and tidy's it up then it's not a complete waste of money :winky:::bigsmile::Doh:Forgot they are also taking the internal window off and tidying up the board :Smile:
terry

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Well Vlad if you read Jims and my reply to Scouts post I think you will have the jist ::bigsmile::winky:
All they are doing to Scouts van is tidying it up :Smile:Not resealing, really simply cutting back over spill from sealent and sticking new on top :winky: If it makes him happy and tidy's it up then it's not a complete waste of money :winky:::bigsmile::Doh:Forgot they are also taking the internal window off and tidying up the board :Smile:
terry

Terry,

As a Joiner you probably have the skills to do the work I’m having done, presumably also a shed/workshop to do it in and quite possibly like all tradesmen you odd half day here and there between your work as a joiner to it. Unfortunately I don’t have a large shed or spare time (if I’ve got time away from my business then I’m away in the van). I’ve probably not got the perfect skills needed but I could make a good stab at it, but I’m too old/heavy to go climbing over the roof so I prefer to pay to have it done, the work in my opinion does need doing, if left over winter water could get behind where the current sealant is failing and freeze this will cause problems later. I’m not stupid, I would not pay to have work done that I did not deem needing doing long term, in fact I think it will make my van more sale-able and fetch a much better price when I come to sell it, which I will do private. I always buy and sell privately and that’s possibly one of the reasons the work needs doing, its seven years old and has not been traded back to a dealer at any time, this sort of work would normally be done when a van is taken in px, to tidy it up for the sale forecourt.

I can see why as a panel van conversion owner you can see why its pointless as on panel vans there is not the type of seal I’m referring too (except the roof lights/lockers) you do not have over trims (covering the main sealant) edged up with a bead of sealant as there are on coach builds, and heavily present on Auto trails.

It’s a pity we did not find each other before this seems like an ideal extra revenue source for you, you would not believe the amount of dealers/one man band service fitters I spoke to before I decided it would go to camper auk, one dealer even said they would seal it with SILICON even I know that’s not right.:Doh:

PS Am I on 10% now:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Case not already mentioned, dont use power wash or fierce hose on joints when washing. Unless of course you are removing old filler before resealing:Smile:

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry,

As a Joiner you probably have the skills to do the work I’m having done, presumably also a shed/workshop to do it in and quite possibly like all tradesmen you odd half day here and there between your work as a joiner to it. Unfortunately I don’t have a large shed or spare time (if I’ve got time away from my business then I’m away in the van). I’ve probably not got the perfect skills needed but I could make a good stab at it, but I’m too old/heavy to go climbing over the roof so I prefer to pay to have it done, the work in my opinion does need doing, if left over winter water could get behind where the current sealant is failing and freeze this will cause problems later. I’m not stupid, I would not pay to have work done that I did not deem needing doing long term, in fact I think it will make my van more sale-able and fetch a much better price when I come to sell it, which I will do private. I always buy and sell privately and that’s possibly one of the reasons the work needs doing, its seven years old and has not been traded back to a dealer at any time, this sort of work would normally be done when a van is taken in px, to tidy it up for the sale forecourt.

I can see why as a panel van conversion owner you can see why its pointless as on panel vans there is not the type of seal I’m referring too (except the roof lights/lockers) you do not have over trims (covering the main sealant) edged up with a bead of sealant as there are on coach builds, and heavily present on Auto trails.

It’s a pity we did not find each other before this seems like an ideal extra revenue source for you, you would not believe the amount of dealers/one man band service fitters I spoke to before I decided it would go to camper auk, one dealer even said they would seal it with SILICON even I know that’s not right.:Doh:

PS Am I on 10% now:thumb:

Hi Scout not getting at you in any way ---I don't have a PVC it is a Ambulance con version which has probably got more different matteials joints than 2 x your vans ::bigsmile:
You said it was more cosmetic :thumb:which I am happy for you to get done,just the same a if I scratched my van then a little filler and paint would do the job :thumb:No way am I telling you or anyone else how to on what on to spend your money :Smile: Yep I do have skills and only my driveway as the van is too big to get into the garage ::bigsmile:
I do not make a living doing vans etc, and as such only do my own,but to do the job you are having done I would estimate it would take myself and mate WELL UNDER 4 hours,1 poss 2 tubes of sealent and 1 or 2 rolls of masking tape --again not for me to say but if you have been given a price and accepted it at least you know how much and how happy you ae to pay :thumb::Smile:
Me £10 for matts 3 or 4 cups of coffee and £40 / 50 for my mate :winky:Poss not pay my mate so matts plus coffee ::bigsmile:
terry

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Hi Scout not getting at you in any way ---I don't have a PVC it is a Ambulance con version which has probably got more different matteials joints than 2 x your vans ::bigsmile:
You said it was more cosmetic :thumb:which I am happy for you to get done,just the same a if I scratched my van then a little filler and paint would do the job :thumb:No way am I telling you or anyone else how to on what on to spend your money :Smile: Yep I do have skills and only my driveway as the van is too big to get into the garage ::bigsmile:
I do not make a living doing vans etc, and as such only do my own,but to do the job you are having done I would estimate it would take myself and mate WELL UNDER 4 hours,1 poss 2 tubes of sealent and 1 or 2 rolls of masking tape --again not for me to say but if you have been given a price and accepted it at least you know how much and how happy you ae to pay :thumb::Smile:
Me £10 for matts 3 or 4 cups of coffee and £40 / 50 for my mate :winky:Poss not pay my mate so matts plus coffee ::bigsmile:
terry

so no 10% then:cry: if you see my van come over and say hello:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back