Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
:cry:Just received my v11 form from dvla as this will be my first time to tax my m/h as it was taxed by the dealer when purchased from them. I have just noticed it is registered as plg and as the m/h is a hobby toscana 750elc tag the weight is 4500kg. It should be phgv. Need to take steps tomorrow to put things right. Others may want to check their V5 doc?:cry:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
A useful reminder to all....

The dealers often cock registrations up! Our Transit had a 24 litre engine for a while!

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
As I have posted on another thread, this is still ongoing with us.

V5C arrived back from Swansea and my name was incorrectly spelled.
Thought that I would check for other mistakes and found that my three axles had turned into two and the weight had dropped from 5000kg to 4005kg. The colour had also changed from Silver/White to Grey.

This has been ongoing since August and we still haven't had a new V5C from Swansea, despite many e-mails and a visit to our local DVLA office.

Hard luck if I am going abroad eh ! :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
On the subject of road tax.
I have just signwritten a customers 17 tonne 6 wheel truck with annual mileage of 76,000. It has the Euro 5 engine and his road tax is £260 per annum. My Renault Master Euro 5 weighs 3850 kgs and I cover about 7500 miles, cost £165.
Whoever worked out these taxation classes and weights must be without a culculator or on commission!!!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have just signwritten a customers 17 tonne 6 wheel truck with annual mileage of 76,000. It has the Euro 5 engine and his road tax is £260 per annum. My Renault Master Euro 5 weighs 3850 kgs and I cover about 7500 miles, cost £165.
Whoever worked out these taxation classes and weights must be without a culculator or on commission!!!!

Got to agree there.....

my 7500kg RV costs just £165pa

my car tax is due at the end of this month.....£270 :Eeek:

damned thing 'only' cost £269 to insure.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years

"Road Fiendly Suspension" gets you a discount if HGV, might we worth those with air suspension looking into this.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Thought that I would check for other mistakes and found that my three axles had turned into two and the weight had dropped from 5000kg to 4005kg. The colour had also changed from Silver/White to Grey.

This has been ongoing since August and we still haven't had a new V5C from Swansea, despite many e-mails and a visit to our local DVLA office.

Hi there,

I am surprised that they have not asked you to present the vehicle for their inspection. I was asked to do this by the P/boro DVLA office, after contacting Swansea about details on the V5 not appertaining to the vehicle. I pointed out that their car park wasn't large enough for me to present my vehicle, and that I wasn't prepared to pay for 3 x on road parking bays. I managed to entice the inspector out to the house with the promise of coffee and biscuits. :winky:
Upon arrival, he took one look at the axle configuration, and immediately knew what needed to be done. All was sorted out within a few days, as was a refund of overpaid duty, and a new RFL for a PHG. Very efficient indeed. :thumb:

Good luck with your ongoing saga.

Cheers,

Jock.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have a little Megane runaround. 1.5 diesel turbo.

Tax £30 .

I honestly enjoy renewing it:thumb:

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
We have a diesel Peugeot 308 car - £30 tax, great.

Can't understand why our Peugeot Partner van (small) has the same engine as the car but is £215 to tax. :Sad:

Gill

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
"Road Fiendly Suspension" gets you a discount if HGV, might we worth those with air suspension looking into this.

Correct on commercial vehicles but believe me noeyt cheaper on PHGV but at £165 PA almost thats half my car tax anyway :thumb:

All the best Rick

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Hi there,

I am surprised that they have not asked you to present the vehicle for their inspection. I was asked to do this by the P/boro DVLA office, after contacting Swansea about details on the V5 not appertaining to the vehicle. I pointed out that their car park wasn't large enough for me to present my vehicle, and that I wasn't prepared to pay for 3 x on road parking bays. I managed to entice the inspector out to the house with the promise of coffee and biscuits. :winky:
Upon arrival, he took one look at the axle configuration, and immediately knew what needed to be done. All was sorted out within a few days, as was a refund of overpaid duty, and a new RFL for a PHG. Very efficient indeed. :thumb:

Good luck with your ongoing saga.

Cheers,

Jock.

I have all of the relevant paperwork from the manufacturer, complete with chassis numbers etc, and specification sheet with axle loads, spacing etc.
They will have to come and visit me if it comes to that as there is no room at my local DVLA either. I believe it is closed down now anyway.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but not hopeful of an early(ish) outcome. :helpsos:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Our's has closed down now too. I have to tax my Renault scenic this month - £195. Car's in today for MOT and service, new built-in double oven from Comet yesterday, house insurance December - it's never ending. Oh yes, had to get out emergency engineer yesterday for house alarm, £105.25. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Ivy

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Our's has closed down now too. I have to tax my Renault scenic this month - £195. Car's in today for MOT and service, new built-in double oven from Comet yesterday, house insurance December - it's never ending. Oh yes, had to get out emergency engineer yesterday for house alarm, £105.25. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

You will have these optional extra's:roflmto:

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
the reason that the post about two vehicles being different duty with same engine is probably that one is registered before 2001, and one after. After then you pay duty according to emissions. This does annoy me a bot with my vehicles, which are all older ones, but run on biodiesel that gives practically no harmful emissions, but as others have said, be thankful we can still make 2500 litres a year for our own use with out duty. Since our DVLC office moved from Leeds centre to great new place out of town with ample free parking, the service has improved dramatically aswell. you go to a primary desk first, who take all your details, then you sit and wait for a cubicle to shout for you. They have everything needed then to sort you quickly. On my last visit to change our car to invalid status, it was 25 minutes from entering to leaving. In the old one you could queue for up to three hours, and then ages at the desk. Not changing motorhomes to private heavy goods is a common oversight, and I cant believe the previous owners of ours have paid full up over the last 22yrs, but as said, this is a common thing motorhome users overlook.

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
update

:cry:
:cry:Just received my v11 form from dvla as this will be my first time to tax my m/h as it was taxed by the dealer when purchased from them. I have just noticed it is registered as plg and as the m/h is a hobby toscana 750elc tag the weight is 4500kg. It should be phgv. Need to take steps tomorrow to put things right. Others may want to check their V5 doc?:cry:
:cry:update 3 calls to swansea 1' 80mile round trip to local office 1call to vosa and now been told to get m/h weighed and send everything to swasea.This bl##dy lot dont know what they are doing they are not singing of the same hyme sheet. Even offerd to take m/h to them for inspection but that would be to easy.:Angry:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I have all of the relevant paperwork from the manufacturer, complete with chassis numbers etc, and specification sheet with axle loads, spacing etc.
They will have to come and visit me if it comes to that as there is no room at my local DVLA either. I believe it is closed down now anyway.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but not hopeful of an early(ish) outcome. :helpsos:

Just had an e-mail from Swansea saying that they have received my info and V5C for corrections and have forwarded it to the Vehicle Customer Services section for investigation.

Great, they told me that weeks ago, so I am no further forward. :Angry:

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
the reason that the post about two vehicles being different duty with same engine is probably that one is registered before 2001, and one after. After then you pay duty according to emissions. This does annoy me a bot with my vehicles, which are all older ones, but run on biodiesel that gives practically no harmful emissions, but as others have said, be thankful we can still make 2500 litres a year for our own use with out duty. Since our DVLC office moved from Leeds centre to great new place out of town with ample free parking, the service has improved dramatically aswell. you go to a primary desk first, who take all your details, then you sit and wait for a cubicle to shout for you. They have everything needed then to sort you quickly. On my last visit to change our car to invalid status, it was 25 minutes from entering to leaving. In the old one you could queue for up to three hours, and then ages at the desk. Not changing motorhomes to private heavy goods is a common oversight, and I cant believe the previous owners of ours have paid full up over the last 22yrs, but as said, this is a common thing motorhome users overlook.

Hi. If you're referring to my post about the Peugeot car and Peugeot van, the car is 2009 and the van is 2011. Still makes no sense to me. :Doh:

Gill

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My new trigano in 2008 was registered as a light house vehicle, taxation zero.Busby.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Gosh, what candlepower were the headlamps? :roflmto:

Wallywayne

Free Member
Nov 21, 2012
wanstrow
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftan
Exp
i am a newbie
HI

I am having the same problem i bought my autotrail cheiftan 2 months ago and i realised that it was classed as plg and not phgv went back to dealer and they are trying to sort it for me but still waiting for it to be resolved and the real funny thing is that im the 3rd owner and no one has noticed before just shows they didnt check the form and paid too much tax for 7 years

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
I take it that it is the weight of the mh that determines the tax due, and not the fact that it is a leisure vehicle? Ours is £220 :cry:

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
I take it that it is the weight of the mh that determines the tax due, and not the fact that it is a leisure vehicle? Ours is £220 :cry:

yes over 3500kg is classed as phg [private heavy goods]and tax is £165

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
its just unbelievable that the dealer who first registered it didnt make sure it was in the correct class, when they are doing it all the time and supposed to know what they are doing. Makes you wonder if they know all they need to when servicing the vehicle.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Update

I have just received the V5C from Swansea.

Good stuff is :
My name is now correct.
I now have three axles.

Bad stuff is:
The weight has gone from 4005kg to 4500kg, not the 5000kg it actually is.
The colour is still grey, not the silver and white it actually is.

I am losing the will to live at the moment.

Good job we are going to Waldegraves tomorrow, something to look forward to and cheer us up. :thumb:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Whilst checking all of the documents etc to make sure all is well (paranoid now), I noticed that my tax disc read £171.
I had a WTF moment and did a little war dance in the drive (much to passing pedestrians amusement), and was just about to blow a gasket when the light bulb went on above my head.

When we bought the MH we couldn't wait the week to the month end to tax it and collect it. The dealer said they were able to pay for one weeks tax, so twelve months and one week as opposed to twelve months.

So there it is. One weeks tax = £6.

:getmecoat:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
SWIFT BOLERO 600EK year 2008

Ok! there apears to be confusion amongst the DVLA and some of us, including me!

Can anyone advise what is the correct cost of road tax for the above:whatthe:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Just googled your particular MH and the official Swift site lists your MH at 3300kg maximum technical permissable laden mass (gross weight).
This would mean that you are in the higher tax bracket as it is not Private HGV, which is £165 per year.

Not sure what the tax is for yours, but I'm sure someone will be along with the correct amount. It will be more than £165 though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back