Convoy of Commer camper vans (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A convoy of Commer camper vans took a trip into the past in Dunstable a little while ago.

Heads turned as the quirky cavalcade made its way through the town.

If you spotted them and wondered what it was all about, then wonder no longer.

For a helpful chap called Andy Green has emailed me to bring me up to speed on the visiting vehicles.

Pure nostalgia lay behind the trip by a group of Commer camper van owners.

They came to Dunstable to see the place where the long-gone Commer Cars factory once stood, in Boscombe Road.Link Removed

Link Removed

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Nostalgia indeed Jim. I have fond memories of the Commer, as it was one of the first motorhomes I had.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• kays favourites 003.jpg
    kays favourites 003.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 92

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Lovely legs!

Who can that handsome young feller be?

Photo has suffered by being in Kay's bra.

Can you not get the cracks filled in by someone handy with Photoshop? - although speaking personally, I actually find with such pics, it is part of the charm.

Oh and yes, although we didn't have a camper or a caravan or even a tent or a car way back then, and I was at school anyway most of the time they were about - they are just soooo familiar because there were thousands of Commer vans of all types around and you saw em every single day of your life.

Were they professional conversions? like eg Devon and VWs, or self builds, or what?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Lovely legs!

Who can that handsome young feller be?

Photo has suffered by being in Kay's bra.

Can you not get the cracks filled in by someone handy with Photoshop? - although speaking personally, I actually find with such pics, it is part of the charm.

Oh and yes, although we didn't have a camper or a caravan or even a tent or a car way back then, and I was at school anyway most of the time they were about - they are just soooo familiar because there were thousands of Commer vans of all types around and you saw em every single day of your life.

Were they professional conversions? like eg Devon and VWs, or self builds, or what?

Thanks for the complement Jenny. Am not sure if Photoshop could fill my cracks in, more like a team of plasterers :ROFLMAO:.
They were done by coachbuilders but the one I had was a self build. I took off to the South of France on a fortnights holiday that went on for 3 years :Doh:

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
I had the minibus version which I had intended making into a camper. However, I ended up with the bonnet up so often (blocking the cab) that there was not time to convert it!! Another plan bites the dust.

While driving to work one day with some sheet metal and a gallon can of petrol in the back I had to hit the brakes quite sharply. The metal slid along the floor and sliced the bottom of the can off. Mind you, petrol was not as expensive back then :Smile:

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Never had one as a motorhome but a great van. I did most of my driver training and test on one. They were fun to drive empty with the front handbrake which when applied at any speed resulted in the rear wheels leaving the ground.:ROFLMAO: Mad youth.:RollEyes:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
there you go Dave
snowbird_zps91b25b18.jpg

and one of my early vans was a Bluebird Highwayman around 1974 though not this exact van though looks identical. nothing new in a one piece fibreglass roof
Highwayman_zps44b07cba.jpg

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Snowbird: I liked your old van pic so much I've spent a few minutes de-scratching it for you with a graphics program. Please forgive the presumption, but it was a worthwhile distraction from more tedious things that I'm supposed to be doing today.

I've tried not to leave too many dents in your door (or your legs).

Attachments

• commer van.jpg
    commer van.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 72

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
there you go Dave
snowbird_zps91b25b18.jpg

and one of my early vans was a Bluebird Highwayman around 1974 though not this exact van though looks identical. nothing new in a one piece fibreglass roof
Highwayman_zps44b07cba.jpg

Hot Dog and black Coffee please.........ooops sorry chief......:Blush:

Which is of course what my neighbour says to me each time my van sits in my drive...............I think he's auditioning for "wot-a-twot" :roflmto:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
An old girl looking for new owner

$T2eC16R,!zoE9s5ne3qiBQmPsGZzqQ~~60_58.JPG

Link Removed

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
not quite old enough to be tax exempt though, shame. Still make a good cheap summer day van for someone.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
funny how when you see an old vehicle youve owned yopu remember exactly how it drove and the noise it made
the commers were a realy smooth ride with a bit of roll and had a puttering exhaust note

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
They remind me of our first and only self build , that was back in 1979.

Attachments

• Motorhomes 005.jpg
    Motorhomes 005.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 17

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread