Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
urine is put into[HI] an electrolytic cell[/HI], which cracks the urea into nitrogen, water, and hydrogen. The hydrogen goes into a water filter for purification, which then gets pushed into the gas cylinder.

and the cell is powered by what ????

OP
OP
bungy
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
and the cell is powered by what ????
battery, solar power, another generator or the same gennie....

to quote a CNET reporter

"The four African teens likely are the youngest researchers yet to dabble in pee as power. Skepticism aside, can we all just agree that the foursome should be lauded for their efforts to find alternative power sources on a continent that could really use them? Sheesh. When I was 14, I'm pretty sure I was too busy watching TV to concern myself with hydrogen extraction."

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
hows about this then....
Mini project for the next meet???

I just don't believe it.

Can you imagine how much hydrogen would be consumed in 6 hours.

Just wait.......

Dear Sir,

You will have seen our incredible invention on the news, we need investors to market this generator worldwide. Just send £10000 to Bank of Nigeria, account 33886684 for a 10% stake in the world's fastest growing company.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I like the last sentence on the article:

As the writeup noted, 'Let's be honest that this is something of an explosive device.'

.... no change there then ... same when hubby's been to the loo and all the windows need opening to prevent a big bang!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
battery, solar power, another generator or the same gennie....

so... let me see ,

* we use a battery to power a cell that produces hydrogen that runs a genny to charge a battery that runs a cell... so even if it were 100% efficient, which is impossible.. .. what's the point .. ?

* solar panel or wind turbine.. to power a cell that produces hydrogen to run a genny that produces less energy than what was supplied by the source .. .. :Doh:

we use the same genny to power a cell....etc ... perpetual motion ..

Unity power can't achieved .. the laws of thermodynamics say so... or just ask Chris Green :roflmto:

bottom line..
The basic laws of physics.. energy can not be produced.. it can only be converted from one form to another.. and there are always losses.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
so... let me see ,

* we use a battery to power a cell that produces hydrogen that runs a genny to charge a battery that runs a cell... so even if it were 100% efficient, which is impossible.. .. what's the point .. ?

* solar panel or wind turbine.. to power a cell that produces hydrogen to run a genny that produces less energy than what was supplied by the source .. .. :Doh:

we use the same genny to power a cell....etc ... perpetual motion ..

Unity power can't achieved .. the laws of thermodynamics say so... or just ask Chris Green :roflmto:

bottom line..
The basic laws of physics.. energy can not be produced.. it can only be converted from one form to another.. and there are always losses.

You're assuming that the amount of electricity is equal to that required to electrolyse hydrogen from water.

Not necessarily so;

Urea—the major constituent of urine—has four hydrogen atoms per molecule ((NH2)2CO) which are less tightly bonded than the hydrogen atoms in water molecules. A voltage of 0.37V is required to split the molecule, compared to the 1.23V needed to split water.

During the process, urea is adsorbed on to the nickel electrode surface, which passes the electrons needed to break up the molecule. Pure hydrogen is evolved at the cathode, while nitrogen plus a trace of oxygen and hydrogen are collected at the cathode*. Carbon dioxide generated during the reaction reacts with potassium hydroxide in the solution to form potassium carbonate. (From Green Car Congress - not an impartial source really)

The Royal Society of Chemistry is reputable however but charge £34 for their article on the subject, however they do consider it a possibility, at least experimentally.

The laws of thermodynamics are not relevant as there is an energy source in addition to electricity - the urea which is consumed in the process.

* Although cut and pasted I suspect a typo - should be anode

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
(snip)

The laws of thermodynamics are not relevant as there is an energy source in addition to electricity - the urea which is consumed in the process.

it's an interesting discussion .. but the laws of thermodynamics are always relevant and cannot be ignored..

the urea is not a fuel source.. it is an energy carrier... just as water is.. and because of the laws of thermodynamics, it will always take more energy to extract hydrogen than it can produce.. it may be more efficient using urea than water but can never be 100% efficient ..

Maybe one day, hydrogen will be produced at solar or wind plants located near the ocean that also operate as desalination plants.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Here you are Jim, hopefully you can get this without registering. In this setup the urea is broken down by bacteria rather than electricity. In effect a sort of biomass fuel using urea as the food source. The conversion is effectively urine to electricity, though currently the equipment to process even the urine of one person would be to large to be portable, no doubt something more portable may be possible in time.

A reputable source:Smile:

http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/pdf/article/2012/cp/c1cp23213d

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Here you are Jim, hopefully you can get this without registering. In this setup the urea is broken down by bacteria rather than electricity. In effect a sort of biomass fuel using urea as the food source. The conversion is effectively urine to electricity, though currently the equipment to process even the urine of one person would be to large to be portable, no doubt something more portable may be possible in time.

A reputable source:Smile:

http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/pdf/article/2012/cp/c1cp23213d

thanks. .. but can't log in.. :Sad:

but, is that not a different process/technology to hydrogen extraction using electrolysis ?

Slightly off topic but along the same lines..

I recall some while back a discussion on RVOC about improving MPG by injecting hydrogen into the diesel, generated from a cell using water and leccy from the vehicle .. some were convinced it worked.. but it can't, because Quote "the electrolytic cell drains current from the vehicles electrical system causing an increase in mechanical resistance in the alternator that will always result in a net power reduction" unquote

from wiki
Monetary prizes have been offered to sellers or promoters of these devices to demonstrate their claims of increased fuel economy are true (see US$1,000 Water Car Challenge), with very few sellers taking the challenges and no device passing the challenges.

EDIT .. just read your post.. no problem, thanks for trying

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
thanks. .. but can't log in.. :Sad:

but, is that not a different process/technology to hydrogen extraction using electrolysis ?

Slightly off topic but along the same lines..

I recall some while back a discussion on RVOC about improving MPG by injecting hydrogen into the diesel, generated from a cell using water and leccy from the vehicle .. some were convinced it worked.. but it can't, because Quote "the electrolytic cell drains current from the vehicles electrical system causing an increase in mechanical resistance in the alternator that will always result in a net power reduction" unquote

from wiki
Monetary prizes have been offered to sellers or promoters of these devices to demonstrate their claims of increased fuel economy are true (see US$1,000 Water Car Challenge), with very few sellers taking the challenges and no device passing the challenges.

EDIT .. just read your post.. no problem, thanks for trying

A different process, but the urea is still acting as a fuel, i.e. an energy source, so there is a possibility that the electrolysis of urea may produce more energy, in the form of Hydrogen, than it takes for the reaction. If the bacteria can use it as an energy source then the reaction must be exothermic to a degree.
I beleive it is possible to generate electricity from urine, but I suspect the technology may be beyond the ability of those schoolgirls it is the :dm:after all

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A different process, but the urea is still acting as a fuel, i.e. an energy source, so there is a possibility that the electrolysis of urea may produce more energy, in the form of Hydrogen, than it takes for the reaction. If the bacteria can use it as an energy source then the reaction must be exothermic to a degree.
I beleive it is possible to generate electricity from urine, but I suspect the technology may be beyond the ability of those schoolgirls it is the :dm:after all

I'll keep an open mind then.. :roflmto:

good discussion.. a change from A frames and the like :winky:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Ah, the Daily Mail. They did a hygene study into the amount of items we touch in a day that transfer sh*t to our hands. I was ready to question this, knowing how clean our home is,......when I realiased I had just been holding a Daily Mail.

OP
OP
bungy
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Original Source of the news -

Other info supporting the feasibility and some of the science, picked out from some of the posts,
its not a new idea but is the first practical use...and certainly in Africa

http://www.suttonfruit.com/pics/urea_electrolysis.pdf

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/news/2009/july/02070902.asp

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/thinking-tech/waste-not-new-tech-taps-energy-from-urine/6481

Link Removed

Link Removed

tell you what though - wish my science classes had been like theirs:RollEyes:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Gosh - with what I produce overnight I could likely power Bed'th and some parts of Ash Green.

Interesting, bacterial action. Wonder if the hydrogen production would be higher if you was diabetic when your blood glucose was so high (ie in excess of 10% which causes damage to organs etc) and therefore, the glucose spills over into your pee?

I ask this because the NHS and the Daily Mail etc are always telling us how much diabetic complications are costing us all; this way maybe the hospitals treating the uncontrolled Diabetics could recoup the cost on what they saved on electrickery !

:roflmto:

Much cheaper than educating the poor sods, after all ......

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
now that is what I call Bio fuel, now where do I get a processing plant details from.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I recall some while back a discussion on RVOC about improving MPG by injecting hydrogen into the diese

It was debated long and hard somewhere else, the point seemed to be the hydrogen was not fuel but a catalyst to improve the diesel combustion.

It did not look impossible but, as always, if had worked why weren't the manufacturers building it in ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It was debated long and hard somewhere else, the point seemed to be the hydrogen was not fuel but a catalyst to improve the diesel combustion.

It did not look impossible but, as always, if had worked why weren't the manufacturers building it in ?

Yes indeed..

IIRC .. One of the members (on RVOC) had it installed free by a company for testing purposes with the condition that if it improved the MPG he would pay for it .. After testing for several months there was no improvement, so it was returned..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_fuel_enhancement

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
They could get the raw material from Parliament.
There are 600+ people in there who are full of wind and p**s :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back