Possible raise of lorry speed limits (1 Viewer)

Should limits be raised for lorries

• Yes

Votes: 33 39.8%
  • No

Votes: 50 60.2%

• Total voters

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Given that few lorries observe the 40mph limit and that it doesn't seem to be enforced It might as well be raised.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
dont think it will make the slightest bit of difference they say that the speed limit on motorways is 60mph which 95% of all lorries over and including 7.5 tons are limited to 56 mph or 52mph so will never reach the motorway speed limits.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
No!

Because following a faster lorry down a motorway or dual carriageway will burn more of our fuel!
People will always overtake a lorry whatever speed it does. Lorries are perceived as an obstruction just like caravanners and us!
A higher lorry speed limit will just put the morons who overtake dangerously on the wrong side of the road for longer. In my opinion!

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
speed limits should be looked at as they are outdated. For instance in my new disc braked all round small connect van limited to 50 single carriageway 60 dual, but my motorhome vintage technology same speed limit as cars yet handling and breaking far Superior in modern vehicles. Not that it matters much as motorhome rarely sees more than 55 on speedo (enjoy taking my time /taking in surroundings/saving fuel:thumb:)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
On single carriage ways up to 50mph wouldn't make any difference as they all do that anyway. Never yet been behind a lorry doing 40mph.

make it 50-60-70 same as us lot are supposed to do. :ROFLMAO:

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Is this another government ploy to take our eye off the bigger picture,they have already done away with most speed cameras reduced the number of police out on the streets and in cars ,so most drivers drive at what speed they like anyway.(I think they wont us to forget their expences fiddles).

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yes.

The 40 mph limit is logically sound because of the weight involved and the impact damage but I believe the accidents caused by frustrated motorists must be far greater than the odd HGV crash.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having been involved in road transport all my life and watched the maximum weight go from 32 tons to 44 tons and what was once considered a powerful truck if it could produce 180 BHP go up to well over 500 BHP I don't think its a good idea to have that 44 ton truck travelling down a single track road and taking bends at 50 MPH.
If on the other hand they want to raise the speed limit on duel carriageways from 50 to 60 then they will have to alter the speed limiter to suit.
It matters not what they move the speed limit to, trucks will all be limited to the same speed so you will always have them tailgating. If they are going to be tailgating I prefer them to be doing it at 56 MPH and not 70 MPH with 44 tons of steel behind them.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
If the limit for empty trucks was raised it would help to stop trucks blocking 2 lane roads (dual carriageways)------------the 40 limit on non dual carriageways is pathetic:Eeek::Eeek:

When I was at school:Sad:----my dad drove a truck transporting caravans------when he was towing, he was on a TWENTY MPH limit:Sad::Sad:----good job there were no speed----sorry---safety cameras then----or radar::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Nigel

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I used to drive Leicester to Peterborough along the A47 every day.This road has very few safe overtaking places. The thing that everyone dreaded on this road was a Walkers Crisps lorry which stick to the 40mph limit.
In the two years I drove this route I lost count of near misses by frustrated car drivers trying to overtake in suicidal places,including me (I had a WRX Subaru) at the time ,so at least I had the power to get by!
Following lorries doing 50mph was a much better experience ,you could make reasonable progress and drivers less frustrated.
So YES raise the single carriageway limit 50mph::bigsmile:riving2:::bigsmile:riving2:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I used to drive Leicester to Peterborough along the A47 every day.This road has very few safe overtaking places. The thing that everyone dreaded on this road was a Walkers Crisps lorry which stick to the 40mph limit.
In the two years I drove this route I lost count of near misses by frustrated car drivers trying to overtake in suicidal places,including me (I had a WRX Subaru) at the time ,so at least I had the power to get by!
Following lorries doing 50mph was a much better experience ,you could make reasonable progress and drivers less frustrated.
So YES raise the single carriageway limit 50mph::bigsmile:riving2:::bigsmile:riving2:

I understand what your saying, but not all trucks carry bags of crisps. Imagine a reefer with over 20 tons of hanging beef carcasses going round a bend at over 40 MPH.
Have seen those things go over on roundabouts doing 5 MPH. Petrol tankers flying around with thousands of gallons of petrol on board :Eeek:. Also the implications of the people that have houses adjoining these single track roads. Can you imagine the devastation to property that raising the speed limit would do. There is good reason for keeping HGVs to a lower speed limit and being late for shopping or work is not one of em.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
The speed limits were set befoe the advent of ABS, Traction control, EBS, exhaust braking, load sensing supension, hardest HGV driving test in europe, six weekly inspections for trucks (law), 12 weekly servicing for trucks (law), continuall driving assesments, drivers CPC, 5 yearly medicals, stringent company p0licy's that get rid of drivers under the three strike rule, continual monitoring of driving by incab systems, proof of driving safety (tacho), so, when the great unwashed reach standards anywhere near 1% of the above......perhaps a poll questioning HGV safety and speed would have some merit.
Why do you think that many trucks now sport signs on the rear telling you that on single track roads we are only legally allowed to do 40 ? Its because once youve passed your test in 1847, you get no further training, so dont know the llaw....unless you read it in the Daily Mail of course.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The problem isn't HGVs at any speed, the problem is the conduct of morons who don't have the ability to properly plan their journey and get impatient because of it! A 50mph HGV would be more dangerous than a 40mph one purely because the moron overtaking it would take longer to get past it!

We live just off the A47 in Norfolk. The number of road closures caused by collisions is astronomical! The main cause is head-ons caused by overtaking cars. Not caused by speed, but caused by overtaking on blind bends and junctions. In these cases, the speed of the overtaken vehicle is immaterial.

Yes I understand slow vehicles can be infuriating, but the root cause of these accidents is bad driving, period.:Angry:

I cover 25-30K per year in my work van, nearly exclusively on single carriageway roads. My average speed? About 38mph!

Plan for that and there is no need to endanger you or anyone else on the road by driving like a moron and overtaking dangerously!:thumb:

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:Doh::Doh:
Top speed of my 44 ton wagon is 50mph. the reason our trucks are restricted to 50 is so our company could afford to give us drivers a pay rise and also to reduce running costs.It is not the speed limit that should be reduced but the hours drivers work. We are still working 70 to 80 hours a week and our wages are not much more than what we could earn in the 70's when drivers hours first came in.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
IMHO the speed limits should stay as they are.

What should be introduced is the no overtaking for HGV rule on dual carriageways, between 7am and 7pm as used in many European countries.

I also think that trucks should not be on the road on Sundays unless carrying essential loads, again a rule in many European countries.

We should also charge a toll for trucks over 12 tonnes on all roads.

Pete:Cool:

Last edited:

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Yes.

The 40 mph limit is logically sound because of the weight involved and the impact damage but I believe the accidents caused by frustrated motorists must be far greater than the odd HGV crash.

Not in Argyll where HGV accidents regularly cause major problems, if the 40mph limit were enforced, it would make traveling much safer and also provide following car drivers more time to make safe overtakes.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
IMHO the speed limits should stay as they are.

What should be introduced is the no overtaking for HGV rule on dual carriageways, between 7am and 7pm as used in many European countries.

I also think that trucks should not be on the road on Sundays unless carrying essential loads, again a rule in many European countries.

We should also charge a toll for trucks over 12 tonnes on all roads.

Already in place mate, its called road tax and it cost's between £700 - 1500 a year, if you put an extra toll on trucks, be prepared to pay £2.50 for a loaf of bread, £5 for a pint of beer, and £6 per gallon for petrol. Also, once they put a toll on us, they,ll use the precedent to make all A roads and motorways toll......so you wont be able to afford to use our mh. B carefull of what you wish for.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Oil reserves are finite - where is the sense in raising speed limits and using it up at an even faster rate than we're doing now? :RollEyes:

Would prefer speed limits for all vehicles to be set at 50mph single carriageway and 60mph dual carriageway/motorway.

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Already in place mate, its called road tax and it cost's between £700 - 1500 a year, if you put an extra toll on trucks, be prepared to pay £2.50 for a loaf of bread, £5 for a pint of beer, and £6 per gallon for petrol. Also, once they put a toll on us, they,ll use the precedent to make all A roads and motorways toll......so you wont be able to afford to use our mh. B carefull of what you wish for.

£6 a gallon??!! We're already there!! :Blush:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp

No, I'm sorry but you are wrong. Road Fund Licence is not a Toll. None of the foreign trucks that ply for trade here, pay anything.

In Germany for example, every truck over 12 Tonnes has to pay to use their roads, and so they should here.

The cost to UK truckers could easily be covered by a reduced Road Fund Licence.

D

DM14742

Deleted User
As an Operational Firefighter with 30 years experience I have seen at close hand the utter carnage LGV's cause in accidents & guess who comes off worst?
I find it quite incredulous that anyone should be in favour of a speed limit increase.
Not only that I only wish that the Highways Agency on Motorways & the Police on other roads would use all means available including Patrols & traffic congestion cameras to fine the blatent dangerous driving committed day in day out by a substantial number of LGV drivers .
Strangely enough motorways are our safest roads but boy when an accident occurs it is usually very seroius & right bang in the middle of it all is more often than not an LGV.

There that's my rant over.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
hi if they all had Irish registered trucks would not have to worry about speed limits as they are never restricted or have the magnet on the gear box so as to alter any tacho recordings. another thing that often increases bad driving by some trucks is being paid by kilometers driven and not being paid when sat at a depot waiting to unload. not a good reason but you can see how the pressure on them builds up. cheers ivory55

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
:RollEyes:
As an Operational Firefighter with 30 years experience I have seen at close hand the utter carnage LGV's cause in accidents & guess who comes off worst?
I find it quite incredulous that anyone should be in favour of a speed limit increase.
Not only that I only wish that the Highways Agency on Motorways & the Police on other roads would use all means available including Patrols & traffic congestion cameras to fine the blatent dangerous driving committed day in day out by a substantial number of LGV drivers .
Strangely enough motorways are our safest roads but boy when an accident occurs it is usually very seroius & right bang in the middle of it all is more often than not an LGV.

You surprise me sir, I thought that firefinghters would still be sitting in their stations reading up new ways to get the health and safety legislation to help them not do their jobs, that is, their MAIN job, not the second one most of them appear to have. I too, have to turn out at RTA,s.....and yes, if a car designed to be as small as possible comes into contact with a 44 ton artic, you dont have to be Einstien to work out which one will come off worse:RollEyes:.
There was recently a programme on TV featuring the absolutely crap driving by "emergency services" drivers and listing the amount of accidents and fatalities they cause when on blues and twos, ton for ton, they hold a much worse record than HGV drivers and were shown to continually flout the law.
HGV drivers in this country, are subject to more continual training than doctors, and because they do the job FULL TIME and their training is for that and that alone, generally the standard is very high,........I suggest, that you reexamine your stats, and then you will realise that MANY accidents involving HGV's involve foreign HGV,s, not UK ones.

As for the poster who wants a levy on UK truckers,...and quotes other countries, watch this space. The Transport Ministry are currently and have been for some time, planning on a "vignette" for ALL foreign vehciles using UK roads, something the Trnsport industry has asked for fr years.

Here is a link to a transport website, lots of good FACTS on here . Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
but it's already £6.07 per gallon average :roflmto:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
£7 then john::bigsmile:

D

DM14742

Deleted User
:RollEyes:

You surprise me sir, I thought that firefinghters would still be sitting in their stations reading up new ways to get the health and safety legislation to help them not do their jobs, that is, their MAIN job, not the second one most of them appear to have. I too, have to turn out at RTA,s.....and yes, if a car designed to be as small as possible comes into contact with a 44 ton artic, you dont have to be Einstien to work out which one will come off worse:RollEyes:.
There was recently a programme on TV featuring the absolutely crap driving by "emergency services" drivers and listing the amount of accidents and fatalities they cause when on blues and twos, ton for ton, they hold a much worse record than HGV drivers and were shown to continually flout the law.
HGV drivers in this country, are subject to more continual training than doctors, and because they do the job FULL TIME and their training is for that and that alone, generally the standard is very high,........I suggest, that you reexamine your stats, and then you will realise that MANY accidents involving HGV's involve foreign HGV,s, not UK ones.

As for the poster who wants a levy on UK truckers,...and quotes other countries, watch this space. The Transport Ministry are currently and have been for some time, planning on a "vignette" for ALL foreign vehciles using UK roads, something the Trnsport industry has asked for fr years.

Here is a link to a transport website, lots of good FACTS on here . Broken Link Removed

I will not enter into a dialogue with someone who has such an obviously misguided idea of the fire Service & the fine people who work within it. Suffice to say that I find some of your comments quite insulting & factually incorrect, I cannot go any further than that on an open social networking site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back