Nov 7, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T660
Exp
::bigsmile:
What is the point of these things?
If you want to BBQ get some charcoal and burn it!
Its all part or the experience and taste.

If you want a GAS BBQ - GO INSIDE AND COOK ON YOUR COOKER!!:Smile:

And take your Patio heater with you!

Just a pet Rant - :Doh:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I agree. it's not a proper BBQ.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I agree with you on patio heaters, but i like my cadac when we ever get the sunshine. I don't think of it as a BBQ, more of an outdoor cooker.

Craig

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
whilst i agree its not the same as charchol it does alow you to cook out side which is great especially for fish also many forest sites dont allow charchol barbies then theres the mess of storing charchol and a sooty barbie when your travelling

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
leave my gas barbi alone we hook it up and use it instead of the cooker so no ban and no more rants

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You could of course enjoy the real outdoor cooking experiencing.

Attachments

• Roastmaster oven 004.jpg
    Roastmaster oven 004.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
mdixon

mdixon

Free Member
Nov 7, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T660
Exp
Dont Get me wrong

I have nothing against external cooking
but....

Dont call it a BBQ!!

Its a gas fired hob - nothing else.

It doesnt taste the same, smell the same, look the same (Unless you burn everything).

Trading Standards should be involved to save the humble BBQ. Your kids are going to grow up thinking that external cooking tastes the same:winky:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A gas BBQ is just an alternative means of cooking Outside of the van, ideal for cooking fish and curries and anything else that would otherwise stink the van out or fill it with condensation. Also the perfect way to prepare 200 bacon butties for rally goers. not everyone wants food cooked in carcenogenic smoke, we like a choice.
PS I have never use any sort of BBQ yet though to have a couple.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
cooking outside is all we want so gas is fine and fun the way we do it allows many people to join in and have a mass cook in and without someone having to be inside cooking for the rest also means the only smell is that of cooking not the smoke and stink of charcoal ::bigsmile:

We often cook on gas outside - never had a charcoal one

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Gas BBQ's are more environmentaly friendly than charcoal.

Other than the smoke etc, its the carbon footprint. A mere toe with gas compared with charcoal

Peter

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A popular misconception that our OP has fallen into.. :Doh:

Whether charcoal or gas, the smell and taste comes from the burning fat that drips from the meat onto the coals or grill producing smoke... not the fuel..

Once alight and burning red, charcoal is smokeless... To enhance the flavour of the meat on either type, you can add wood chippings, pine cones etc .. yes, even on a gas barbie ..

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
I have nothing against external cooking
but....

Dont call it a BBQ!!

Its a gas fired hob - nothing else.

It doesnt taste the same, smell the same, look the same (Unless you burn everything).

Trading Standards should be involved to save the humble BBQ. Your kids are going to grow up thinking that external cooking tastes the same:winky:

my kids think external cooking is a Chinese takeaway

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I have a real cheat--George Foreman grill !
Sit it on a table outside in the winter --
No smells or fat in my van:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Soooooooooooooo

Is a Cadac a BBQ ?

I say no....

It is something completely different ( and we would not be without it !! )

But to bbq's.....

We used to have a gas BBQ and I personally loved it, yet woman didn't so we now have a charcoal one back again...

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Having some pillock near you trying to cook food on charcoal that was lit 15 mins ago and is smoking the camp site out because they did not care that it needs to be lit bloody ages before its hot enough to cook is far worse than a gas bbq

Just my little rant:Eeek:

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
two points here, firstly its the smoke that gives the BBQ taste, and that comes from the fat falling onto the coals, whether that involves charcoal, gas fed lava rockes, or the cheaper stainless cover shields found on many gas ones. The smell of charcoal in the air is fine, but you dont want any bits or such on the food as its almost pure carbon. The problem with charcoal is you have no control of the heat and it starts off slow, and then ends up an inferno, which causes masses of smoke with oily food like chicken. The second and most important one is that many sites, and many of the steam fairs we go to, dont allow any form of external flame, so charcoal is out, and some even dont allow even gas ones, tho that may be hard to enforce if you have a proper outside gas connection. I like both, but mostly I dont want to have to wait half an hour for the charcoal to be ready to cook, so opt for the gas. As for terminoligy, the Gaganau charcoal grill that you can have fitted into your kitchen units [for the best part of two grand] is actually a gas and lava rock set up, and I am sure they can all be refered to as BBQs as long as they heat the falling oil from the food into hot smoke for cooking. I dont ever want to be caught up in the ban ban that brigade, as there is enough legislation already surely.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
you`re all wrong

Yes you have all got it wrong, it`s not so much the fat dripping onto the flames and coming back to baste the sausages that give them that natural charcoal flavour...

It`s that lovely ignitor fuel, that not quite petrol, but fire lighter Kerosine, now there`s the real flavour of a hearty good BBQ :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A popular misconception that our OP has fallen into.. :Doh:

Whether charcoal or gas, the smell and taste comes from the burning fat that drips from the meat onto the coals or grill producing smoke... not the fuel..

Once alight and burning red, charcoal is smokeless... To enhance the flavour of the meat on either type, you can add wood chippings, pine cones etc .. yes, even on a gas barbie ..

Totally agree! :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There is a point everyone seems to be missing..

The one BIG advantage of cooking on a charcoal BBQ is that, no matter WHAT you put on it, from sausages, to steaks, to corn to.. well everything, you KNOW what it will taste like when it gets on your plate and what colour it will be..

usually mainly black ( except when dropped at some point in which case it may have grren bits on ) and taste will be base carbon..

You can vary the taste with the various sauces available such as tommy sauce, daddy's, or of course BBQ sauce, specifically designed ot change base carbon to base carbon that tastes of fruit

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
What is the point of these things?
If you want to BBQ get some charcoal and burn it!
Its all part or the experience and taste.

If you want a GAS BBQ - GO INSIDE AND COOK ON YOUR COOKER!!:Smile:

And take your Patio heater with you!

I use both a Cobb and a Cadac because some venues will not allow charcoal barbies. The point is I also like the instant availability when I use our Cadac and I prefer to cook curries and fish outside. I like to have the choice of what to use depending on how I feel and where I am, and yes, who I might annoy or inconvenience. What I don't like is people suggesting that if I don't do as they do I must be wrong.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

I've had pet rats before, but not a pet rant ... does it eat much and have a long 'worm like' tail!:RollEyes:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
This is making me laugh! Thanks.

I have a friend, an award winning pork butcher, well at least what I mean is he makes sausage commercially and he wins awards for that. Anyway he actually makes 'BBQ flavour' sausage amongst others and always contends that they are superb and an absolute boon esp if the chef has been drinking, since even if you've forgotten to light the BBQ and the sausage stays raw, as they still taste as if they've been BBQ'd, it doesn't really matter too much!

His sausage is excellent; but there again I have never intentionally eaten it raw ......

:ROFLMAO:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
This is how we do it no gas,no charcoal, no cooking in locker,natures way!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread