Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
mid wales
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
5 years
Recently fitted Mirror Guards. How can I protect them from damage...........

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have mirror guards fitted... dont understand why you would want to protect them as they are the protection for the mirrors..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Fit a large RSJ at least 2.7 mts wide to the front bumper ::bigsmile:

I had mine on my fiat for 1 year they where white.

After fitting them i had no one come to close any more.

I do think they help other drivers see you.

Mel

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
damage

try your best not to hit another vehicle.!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No, well past that sort of nonsense since the bed broke on our ac capri

:Smile:

On a serious note, I've just fitted a new nearside mirror. About £80 for an full electric mirror from ebay. I've lost count of the number of times it's been clouted, enough to damage the door a bit. It was 8 years old. So basically don't fret about them. Consider them a wearing part, like tyres.

I've seen the idea of a big yellow high viz stripe. That seems a good idea, now you've reminded me I'll go hunting for something.

Like ebay 390484948274 - just ordered. £2.35. Got to be worth a try.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
try your best not to hit another vehicle.!!

That's much easier said then done.

Route Napoleon - 1000 foot drop on the driver's side, solid rock on passenger side. Corner. BIG 4x4 comes round corner like the cops were after them. B A N G. Passenger side mirror slams into door.

I could not stop, 4x4 did not. I hope 4x4 suffered as badly.

Partly wrecked but repaired well enough to continue.

The near Weymouth, narrow road, white van comes hurtling, white van style, round corner and I twitch into something. That's the end of that mirror.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hah. We were zumwhere in Zummerzet with a brick wall one side and a lumpy stone wall the other and small fixed-bed lorry man coming towards us decided he certainly wasn't going to pull into a slight gap available on his side because it might have delayed him by 10 seconds and any case, his mirrors were attached to his vehicle by summat a helluvalot stronger than a camping car's. And if we managed to get his number he'd say we were on his side of the road.

In fact he wouldn't have actually hit us, I reckon there was a 2 inch gap, except he deliberately and absolutely with malice aforethought turned his wheel to the right and gave Pete an evil look as he did so, just as his front bumper was level with ours to make ure he DID hit us - we were both too shocked to do anything including breathe for about a minute by which time he'd completely disappeared.

No ID on the side of the truck anyway. A Hole.

Now I've typed that I've remembered where it was. Quite near to Wookey Hole!

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Recently fitted Mirror Guards. How can I protect them from damage...........
The only solution it to fit another pair on top.
I fitted these a few years ago and another vehicle's mirror hit mine. My thought was thank god I fitted my protectors, NO, they shattered along with my mirror. Good idea but doesn't work in many cases and far to expensive.

OP
OP
micky drip

micky drip

Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
mid wales
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
5 years
Hah. We were zumwhere in Zummerzet with a brick wall one side and a lumpy stone wall the other and small fixed-bed lorry man coming towards us decided he certainly wasn't going to pull into a slight gap available on his side because it might have delayed him by 10 seconds and any case, his mirrors were attached to his vehicle by summat a helluvalot stronger than a camping car's. And if we managed to get his number he'd say we were on his side of the road.

In fact he wouldn't have actually hit us, I reckon there was a 2 inch gap, except he deliberately and absolutely with malice aforethought turned his wheel to the right and gave Pete an evil look as he did so, just as his front bumper was level with ours to make ure he DID hit us - we were both too shocked to do anything including breathe for about a minute by which time he'd completely disappeared.

No ID on the side of the truck anyway. A Hole.

Now I've typed that I've remembered where it was. Quite near to Wookey Hole!
Only way to deal with Somerset man is to stay in middle of road until he stops (hopfully) Fold mirrors in before attempting to pass

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back