maxview sat dish (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
anyone use the maxview crankup dish ? not the thru the roof jobby, the type with the winding handle at cieling height.

what is it like and how easy to set up/find satallites ?

over £400 is an awful lot of beer tokens if they dont do the job.

john.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
anyone use the maxview crankup dish ? not the thru the roof jobby, the type with the winding handle at cieling height.

what is it like and how easy to set up/find satallites ?

over £400 is an awful lot of beer tokens if they dont do the job.

john.

Still goes thro the roof John I presume you mean no long bar coming into a wardrobe?. Yes I have one and we haven't been abroad yet but in UK it's been brilliant. Make sure it's fitted properly though the cutting of the parts that go into the crank is crucial. If you catch them at the shows they have their own fitters, did a good job for me. ::bigsmile:

I'll be at Newark if you want to see it in action.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Still goes thro the roof John I presume you mean no long bar coming into a wardrobe?. Yes I have one and we haven't been abroad yet but in UK it's been brilliant. Make sure it's fitted properly though the cutting of the parts that go into the crank is crucial. If you catch them at the shows they have their own fitters, did a good job for me. ::bigsmile:

I'll be at Newark if you want to see it in action.

cheers Ken,
i'll take a gander at it and maybe get one fitted at the show if the price is good.

i have a domestic dish on a pole at the mo which works very well if the vans dead level otherwise a real pain to get the elevation right.:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
cheers Ken,
i'll take a gander at it and maybe get one fitted at the show if the price is good.

i have a domestic dish on a pole at the mo which works very well if the vans dead level otherwise a real pain to get the elevation right.:Angry:

See you there Burstner Marano usually found buried between two b****y great Yankee RV's. I put a sticker on with Motorhome fun and KSEBRUCE

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
See you there Burstner Marano usually found buried between two b****y great Yankee RV's. I put a sticker on with Motorhome fun and KSEBRUCE
Well this time apart from the two side yanks RR's parking across the front and me across the rear, we might let you out Monday:cry:, cant miss us you will see both crankups on the RVs,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

We tried manual dishes initially, one on a stand and one in a suitcase but far too fiddly. I bought a crankup at Newark last year and Olley and Snelly helped me fit it.

Fitting was quite straightforward and I have a series of photos somewhere. At that time the sat boys were charging £300 to fit so I was grateful for the help and saving.

As Ken says the vital thing is the length of the metal rod that joins the sat dish to the handle. All motorhome roofs are of a different thickness hence the ability to alter it. Get it too tight (as mine is a little bit now) and its really hard to move, too long and the whole assembly will drop off.

In use it takes me about 30 seconds to get a signal, its that quick. There is a learning curve to it though. To get a signal you obviously have to point it in the right direction and there is a handy dial on the system to assist this. You find north by using a compass and then point the dial on the crankup to north. There is then a yellow area for astra 2 and you rotate the dish so its arrow is in this area - so simple.

However first you have to crank up the dish to the correct elevation. In the Uk this is approx 26 degrees. This though can alter as one other member found at the Dover docks. The dish needed to point out to sea so no buildings to block the signal but he could not get a picture until I pointed out to him he was parked in the gutter and so his van was not level. The elevation here was more like 19 degrees.

The downside is wind. For the past few days it has been blowing a gale and it just has not been possible to leave the dish up. As a fulltimer I think on our next van I will invest in a camos but if you only use a van at weekends then the crank up can be fully recommended

stew

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Well this time apart from the two side yanks RR's parking across the front and me across the rear, we might let you out Monday:cry:, cant miss us you will see both crankups on the RVs,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Be nice to see you again. Don't do that we're off to Peterborough Sunday morning :Eeek:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Who's doing the Maxiview Crank up master class? I have just fitted one but not managed to lock on to a satellite yet. The dish has been in more positions than the Karma Sutra.

Mind you there is a conifer directly in the line of site and have been waiting to have another go when out of storage. Any one who can get it running can have me free show beer tokens.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Cut the conifer down,and have another go.Can i have half the tokens for the advice?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No I can't as there is a presevation order on all the trees at the storage site. And no you can't have half the tokens for the advice you silly boy:ROFLMAO:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Diablo

talk us through how you are trying to set it up, but the tree is more than likely your problem

stew

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Artona,

I have followed all the instructions regarding elevation, lining up the marker inside with north then moving the dish to the correct segment but with a conifer 4Ft from the dish in direct line of site I didn't really expect to get a signal. I will give it a go at Newark and draw on the wealth of knowledge from sat users there if I get stuck.:thumb:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi I fitted one last year easy enough to do as has been said watch you cut the box and rod to the correct length.

Not had a problem getting a signal usually well under a minute!

100_0355.jpg

100_0349.jpg

Regards Pat

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

We tried manual dishes initially, one on a stand and one in a suitcase but far too fiddly. I bought a crankup at Newark last year and Olley and Snelly helped me fit it.

Fitting was quite straightforward and I have a series of photos somewhere. At that time the sat boys were charging £300 to fit so I was grateful for the help and saving.

As Ken says the vital thing is the length of the metal rod that joins the sat dish to the handle. All motorhome roofs are of a different thickness hence the ability to alter it. Get it too tight (as mine is a little bit now) and its really hard to move, too long and the whole assembly will drop off.

In use it takes me about 30 seconds to get a signal, its that quick. There is a learning curve to it though. To get a signal you obviously have to point it in the right direction and there is a handy dial on the system to assist this. You find north by using a compass and then point the dial on the crankup to north. There is then a yellow area for astra 2 and you rotate the dish so its arrow is in this area - so simple.

However first you have to crank up the dish to the correct elevation. In the Uk this is approx 26 degrees. This though can alter as one other member found at the Dover docks. The dish needed to point out to sea so no buildings to block the signal but he could not get a picture until I pointed out to him he was parked in the gutter and so his van was not level. The elevation here was more like 19 degrees.

The downside is wind. For the past few days it has been blowing a gale and it just has not been possible to leave the dish up. As a fulltimer I think on our next van I will invest in a camos but if you only use a van at weekends then the crank up can be fully recommended

stew

hi Stew,
if you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for supply only.

i can get one supplied and FITTED for just over £400. only problem its a 600mile round trip to the workshop!!!!!.:cry:

thank for the good desciption of setting up. sounds a doddle.:thumb:

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
I have one ( from towsure it was the cheapest I could find ) fitted it myself not hard to do, would say measure twice cut once as the little square bar that controls the angle has to be spot on.

Used it in Italy last year at lake Garda great.

Worth the money, easy to use.

Regards

Lampie

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Shane sells then snd he is the guy for some good advise. Might be worth giving him a call. He is localish as well

Richard...

Link Removed

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Shane sells then snd he is the guy for some good advise. Might be worth giving him a call. He is localish as well

Richard...

Link Removed

i had a look there but they're out of stock at present and the next manufacturing run is from 6/3/08 which may mean a couple of weeks before they come available but i'll keep checking the site,
cheers richard
john.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Maxview Sat Dish at Newark?

Does anyone know if there is a supplier of maxview at Newark, I have checked the exhibitor list but cant spot a name I recognise. Is this the best/easiest/most cost effective solution? We have tried the old satelite in the box method with suckers etc and completely failed on every occasion.'A waste of b*** money' the only comment from my less than patient hubby!!

The Camos system looks very good, does anyone have any info/experience of this system. We are not full timers but do like a bit of decent tele when we are away!

Ginny and Mike

M

michaelc

Deleted User
In answer

Hi, I fitted a maxiview dish last year, and the signal in europe is rubbish, can,t pick much up from mid way into france and then nothing, For me it was a total waste of money.
fitting is easy, But we ended up watching DVD,s at the end of the day, just like before hand.
terry

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Alternatives for good satellite reception?

So, if the Maxview is not very efficient in France, what are the alternatives - working alternatives that is? anybody any ideas??

M

michaelc

Deleted User
In answer

Hi, its not just maxiview its all 63cm dishs, and the type of viewing box you use. The footprint of english channels is very small, This is to stop expats viewing bbc without paying.
The best thing to do is have a look at a chart showing the areas of the main satellites and you will be able to see the size of dish you need, I only wish I had first
below is a web address that will give you some idea,

conrad-anderson.co.uk

terry

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My maxview crank up dish works perfectly in France:winky: and I have used ordinary dishes on a tripod in most of Europe in my caravaning days.

I am surprised that you have had issues Micheal:winky:

M

michaelc

Deleted User
In answer

Hi, to be honest I am not to sure if I am doing this right, some people like yourselve say that you can get pictures etc, I can,t I have a maxiview 63cm dish with a sky javelin freeview box. I understand that satillites like astra 2D send their signels on two poles, and that one needs to change the software within the box to pick up the southern pole, To be honest I DON,T know how to do this as the box was 2nd hand and I only just found out this information.
Would it work better with a newer freeview box, or do I need a freeview sky card.

would be interested to know more.
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back