Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
well we made it to France our first trip abroad, Eurotunnel is brilliant. Now the adventure starts. The plan was to head to Spain We had our plans all mapped out but now meeting people here in our fancy French Aire - a supermarket carpark - our plans have gone to pot. HELP what's the best way to get to Benidorm without going on the toll roads. Apparently everyone here is telling us to go down to Nevers and on to Clermont Ferrand. Any ideas would be gratefully accepted. Finishing on a high note the dogs are having a brilliant time and we have decided that Smash potato is back on our menu and much lighter than a spud. Bernie & Gill

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Bernie
Yes Head for Clemont ,I forget the road numbers from there, it's either 70 or 75 goes over the Millue Viaduct (a must do sometime) cost about 12 euro, free other than that, til you reach the Motorway at the bottom or go on the 34 that will take you down to spain, I have done that route a couple of times good roads. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
In my opinion its a MUCH nicer route under the viaduct, down the valley and up the other side. You have a great view of the viaduct from below, if you go over the viaduct you can see nothing and have to pay for the privilege of it.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
An if you drive up to it from underneath you can visit he museum and see how it was built :thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
In my opinion its a MUCH nicer route under the viaduct, down the valley and up the other side. You have a great view of the viaduct from below, if you go over the viaduct you can see nothing and have to pay for the privilege of it.

Yep but a must do drive over the Viaduct, I have done it twice and rearly enjoyed it. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb:

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Regardless of the Millau Viaduct, that road south from Cleremont Ferrand is an engineering masterpiece, an absolute pleasure to drive and puts our British roads to shame.
Geoff.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you like wild countrys you want to go straight to the Tarn, you can come off at junction 40 of the A75 and cut across country to it by going through La Canourgue (a lovely little town itself). If you follow the main road through the town, there is a turning on the right towards La Malene and Les Vignes which cuts across to the Tarn. It is very impressive as it goes across a the plateau but if you head for "Point Sublime" you suddenly find the magnificent Gorges du Tarn drop away below you. You do this by staying on the same road called the D46 to St.Georges de Levejac where it is then signposted off to the left, there is parking there and a cafe. I wouldn't suggest you stay there overnight though as quite a few people come and go. You can drop down in to the gorges from there and we have overnighted in the riverside car parks off season at La Malene and St.Enimie. St.Chely du Tarn is a delight to see too.There are so many fantastic places around I could write a book! We tend to go off the beaten track to wild camp, the gorges themselves are not the easiest placeide go down the gorge du tarn and then under the viaduct
the above is from another member on another forum who told me about this and it is truly magnificent

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
An if you drive up to it from underneath you can visit he museum and see how it was built :thumb:
And there is a decent Aire in the town of Millau as well. The MH dump/replenish point is about half a kilometer before the Aire, and charges €6 for water. :whatthe:

The drive over to Narbonne Plage is quite spectacular, and that Aire is right on the beach, with showers, toilets, etc.

Have a cracking trip, but always think of your own personal safety. :thumb:

Jock & Rita.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
well we made it to France our first trip abroad, Eurotunnel is brilliant. Now the adventure starts. The plan was to head to Spain We had our plans all mapped out but now meeting people here in our fancy French Aire - a supermarket carpark - our plans have gone to pot. HELP what's the best way to get to Benidorm without going on the toll roads. Apparently everyone here is telling us to go down to Nevers and on to Clermont Ferrand. Any ideas would be gratefully accepted. Finishing on a high note the dogs are having a brilliant time and we have decided that Smash potato is back on our menu and much lighter than a spud. Bernie & Gill

Well !!!!...I Understand you are new to France and French Aires...first trip..and all what you see around you may be a bit of a shock, out of your comfort zone..but:Doh: it seemed you did not do much in the planning stage for French Aires..I don't mean to be negative or nasty.....But are we saying at the first hurdle...a supermarket car park...that's it:shout: shout for help..your planned route has gone out of the window...did you not have back up Aires....also how many supermarket car parks in the UK can you stop on over night ??....these supermarket car parks are fine in France for on route over night stops....did you NOT want to venture far off your route...to Spain ....what Aire are on...what's it's name...if you planned to go onto a supermarket Aire what else was you expecting:Doh:...did you get some Aires books or go on line on camping cars info...did you look on Google maps on street view to look at the Aire or the surrounding area on the Aires you planned......what planning did you actually do...did you ask other funsters for recomendations...did you look on Jim's MHF french Aires site to see what other funsters have said are good Aires.....it is a shame but it seem's to me you have planned two Aires in France close to your route then into Spain??
Did you NOT want to look around France on your trip down to Spain...Sorry for being abrupt... I am hoping you will look further than a Supermarket car park..
I am glad you are having a brilliant time " Smash potato is back on our menu " Mmmmm not my scene..... yes you are correct they are much lighter than a spud....bon appétit. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Mel

Last edited:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Only a Yorkshireman could be that harsh without being nasty.

Yes i am an ex Pat from Sheffield.

But its great advise to plan your route most of the time.

You should make the most of France and all it offers to Motorhomes.

But its nice to set off without plans sometimes. But not on your first trip, however i understand you meet people who tell you its beter to go this or that way.

I go to spain via Brive but thats the route i liike .

Most important if it does not feel right to park for the night dont!.

Have a nice trip and enjoy yourself.

Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Only a Yorkshireman could be that harsh without being nasty.

Yes i am an ex Pat from Sheffield.

But its great advise to plan your route most of the time.

You should make the most of France and all it offers to Motorhomes.

But its nice to set off without plans sometimes. But not on your first trip, however i understand you meet people who tell you its beter to go this or that way.

I go to spain via Brive but thats the route i liike .

Most important if it does not feel right to park for the night dont!.

Have a nice trip and enjoy yourself.

Mel

Hi Mel from Mel and a fellow Yorkshireman...Great name you have there ...thanks for those comforting words....I speak as I see it.. as most Yorkshire people do...nowt different there... black is black.. red is red...it's no good saying what lovely hair doo the lady has when it looks a fluffing mess
I am very thankful to the French for providing these Aires I am thankful to the commune's the village's for looking after and funding them....also this time of year all the camp sites are closed....so it is a good thing there are the Aires:thumb:to stop even though some may have the water turned off due to freezing.
I hear many many times my fellow country people Brits saying I wish we had Aires in the UK...then you hear people complaining about the Aires ..when they most likely have only tried one or two Aires.....Mmmmm:Doh:..But.this time of year it is better to have plan of something...... NOT a plan of nothing..
I am just hoping they try a little harder now and enjoy France

We have been on Hundreds and Hundreds and Hundreds and Hundreds of Aires and the wife and myself have tried to help fellow motohomers / fellow Brits as much as we can...and we will carry on doing so....the info is there , it is up to you to use it...Also Scot Jimland has a link...on Aires....I have a Picasa link anybody can look at...Jim MHF has the Aires site...all this info is free...there is the book "All the Aires in France"...there is the internet camping cars info...there are loads of French Aires books
:thumb:

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I can see Jim the ring leader banning me / throwing me off MHFun for not being nice and polite to fellow funster:Doh:...

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
If you have plenty of time just plan today's journey.

Decide how far to drive and look in the Aire book, or online for a place to stay tonight.

Do the same each day, you may find somewhere else along the way to stopover before your planned destination.

I don't like toll roads but would use one to save time if neccessary - they're not that expensive.

Happy holliday!

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Mel to Mel

Very true we call a spade a spade.

France is not only good for Aires you are made to feel welcome in every town or village in France.

I have stopped on some very nice Aires
Some suppermarkets which where basic but safe, + free drinkinkgwater and cheap diesel.

Mel

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
if you like wild countrys you want to go straight to the Tarn, you can come off at junction 40 of the A75 and cut across country to it by going through La Canourgue (a lovely little town itself). If you follow the main road through the town, there is a turning on the right towards La Malene and Les Vignes which cuts across to the Tarn. It is very impressive as it goes across a the plateau but if you head for "Point Sublime" you suddenly find the magnificent Gorges du Tarn drop away below you. You do this by staying on the same road called the D46 to St.Georges de Levejac where it is then signposted off to the left, there is parking there and a cafe. I wouldn't suggest you stay there overnight though as quite a few people come and go. You can drop down in to the gorges from there and we have overnighted in the riverside car parks off season at La Malene and St.Enimie. St.Chely du Tarn is a delight to see too.There are so many fantastic places around I could write a book! We tend to go off the beaten track to wild camp, the gorges themselves are not the easiest placeide go down the gorge du tarn and then under the viaduct
the above is from another member on another forum who told me about this and it is truly magnificent

Hi
We visited the George's when we stayed at Suron sur Rhone nice little place, ( they make the Chausson & Trigano range there ) the camp we stopped at backed on to the Rhone, with the river cruises right behind us. Pete :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Mel to Mel

Very true we call a spade a spade.

France is not only good for Aires you are made to feel welcome in every town or village in France.

I have stopped on some very nice Aires
Some suppermarkets which where basic but safe, + free drinkinkgwater and cheap diesel.

Mel

That is very true Mel:thumb:

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Reading Mel's comments made me think about my travels through France. I always have a plan A with more or less a route to follow. Because you usually find somewhere really good have a backup plan B just in case. Mel told me of one or too cracking aires and his opinion is worth listening too.
The aire at Millau is great and the town is smashing. Go under the viaduct one way and over it the other way then you get the best of both words. Have fun.
:Smile::Smile::Smile:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
My best advice for you ,would be plan your trip daily and enjoy what you have planed, try and keep to the National roads or country roads a much as you can, you will not only save your penny's but will see much more on you trip, not for getting the les routier's great foods at a good price which your find many situated on the National and country roads, well have a great trip and enjoy:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
My best advice for you ,would be plan your trip daily and enjoy what you have planed, try and keep to the National roads or country roads a much as you can, you will not only save your penny's but will see much more on you trip, not for getting the les routier's great foods at a good price which your find many situated on the National and country roads, well have a great trip and enjoy:thumb:

I agree.... take your time and enjoy your tip:thumb:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Last time I went over the Millau bridge it cost me €30+ (2011) but then I was getting stung on all the tolls and I think it was because I'm over 3m height. We were in a hurry to get down south that time as usually I go through Millau town which is a nice drive and a good stop.

Agree that it's worth going over the bridge at least once, but do it in a car :)

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Try to plan it day by day..but also have a back up if an aires is full/closed..that's why I always advocate a good LARGE scale road map..that way you can look at your route and er indoors can navigate for you...Don't I repeat don't put all your faith into a sat nav..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Last time I went over the Millau bridge it cost me €30+ (2011) but then I was getting stung on all the tolls and I think it was because I'm over 3m height. We were in a hurry to get down south that time as usually I go through Millau town which is a nice drive and a good stop.

Agree that it's worth going over the bridge at least once, but do it in a car :)

Might as well 'cos you cant see anything because of the windbreak barriers.

OP
OP
Bernieb65

Bernieb65

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
To Heyupluv, think you have misunderstood our message. Our plan was to always stay at Cite Europe as we had come off the early evening Eurotunnel, my quote of a fancy French Aire being on a supermarket was a Lancashire man's or should I say my wife, a scouser, funny sense of humour. We have a file full of Aires for our journey whilst travelling through France. We were thrown by other Brits staying at the Cite Aire who were telling us not to travel down the west to Bordeaux then across to Spain but to travel down the East instead because it was easier. We are more than grateful to the French for providing free accomodation, as you certainly would not get it in UK, and definitely never in Yorkshire were I am told you don't get owt for nowt. You seem a little bit quick to the think the worst of us rather than two apprehensive travellers embarking on a different journey than they have ever encountered. Now on are fourth Aire on this journey and have not use our planned Aires from our file.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Good to see you are getting into the swing of your French journey, have to acknowledge that I am impressed with the help and suggestions given, every resource you have when traveling is always useful, do keep us posted on your trip, enjoy. It

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
If you go to Millau and then down to Spain through Toulouse then don't hesitate to stop at my place , I'll be delighted to host you. All is free... even the smile::bigsmile: You can plug in to the main, use my Wifi, and if you have a hose (sorry but mine has gone all crap!!) you can fill up with water.
I might be busy working if you stop during the week, but you don't really need me do you?:winky: So please make yourself at home! We'll surely have a drink together in the evening!!!:Cool:

Let me know if you like the idea so I can give you my details and my mobile phone.
You can ask other funsters who have experimented the way to my place ... it's dead easy and not far at all from the 4 lanes (périphérique)... Show up those who came along!:roflmto:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile::Smile:

PS: just noticed about the dogs .... nice walks around and out of the stadium during the day, and on lead IN the stadium during the day as well , but they can run all they want in the early hours and later at night time . During the week end if no footy at the stadium , they can run wild at all times

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back