Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
hi all,it always makes me smile when we drive our van and we get all those nice friendly waves and light flashes from fellow motorhomers,..untill you arrive on site and find a good many of them cant even be bothered to say hello when you pitch up next to them....its like your invadeing there space.i love a chat and a laugh,but it seems to me there are some miserable buggers about,...any comments?::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I can be a bit miserable at times but I always say hello and good morning etc. A desire to be big buddies is a bit rarer::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
We just say there still in London mode, and have not switched to holiday mode yet.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I find that when thy wave I wave however when I wave they don't.Might be something to do with my co-pilot,she scares the shit out of me,so god knows what oncoming traffic thinks!

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
waving ? yes or no

:cry:I have heard and seen so many views and points on this..:ROFLMAO: just as i think Hymers only wave to hymers. one waves. have been told type waves to type :winky::thumb: van conversion to like and so on. forget our avitar. i cant seem to change photo,, so as we have a 27 year old renault traffic with Machzone body and have never seen another one. so hope people take pity and wave to us poor old sods::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
there are some on here that wave at white van man and horse boxes.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

i would say i wave at 90% that come the other way and i reckon that 90% wave back.

i have been known to wave at motorhomes whilst out and about in the smart but that just tends to get strange looks back.:Doh:

i dont tent to wave at motorhomes coming the other direction on motorways though as i dont think its too safe to do so.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If im staying on a site and say good morning or hi to someone and they ignore me i then go out my way to say hi or wave at them every time i see them on site normally after a couple of hello's you get a response can be fun sometimes with the ones that hold out for days :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
my grand son jay putt's up the v sign and shuts cool camper man Werther its a big RV hymer or old as the hills but must agree their are sum miserable grumpy old git's out there and lot's of snobs but not in MF when we weir in Belgium last week we had a Ball with the motor homers not from motor home fun but think thay wear looking to singe up i lost two days but her indoors wasn't to happy :hardhat::Eeek:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We just say there still in London mode, and have not switched to holiday mode yet.

Oh dear Teepee

We will fall out !!!

London mode indeed

When I worked in central london we used to have a singalong in our carriage on the way to work and people used to say hello.

We are one of the friendliest sets of motorhomers you will find and from London

I am sure we could both name counties where people come from that are not as friendly or as helpful as we are.

Our motto is If you dont say hello or good morning first then dont expect a reply and smile at every miserable bugger you see. It may take some time for it to register with them but the next time they see you they might just smile back

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
Hello Ourcampersbeentrashed.I don't think we'll fall out, as we are friendly. London being a big city is full of people amid the rat race chasing around, lots of things on their minds not many do say good morning.i found very early in the morning people more friendlier.
Years ago London was a friendlier place but I think pace of life has altered that. Communities have changed, so anyway it's just something we say no ill intent mean't to anyone. Some people are happy some are not no matter where you are in the world.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
oi im originally from east london (bethnal green) and as people say salt of the earth or at least we was i say hello and greet as many people as possible i only moved out 18 years ago so im still always in london mode when i say hello to anyone and they don't reply then sod em its their loss

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
Couldn't agree more, as long as we're happy, we just try to pass it on.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I allways talk to my fellow campers, i shout "sod off" and "dont walk accross my pitch":ROFLMAO:

GRUMPY...:Blush:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I will say good morning and pass the time of day, as I would to other dog walkers, flashing your lights is a similar gesture. However, motorhome owners are as varied as any other walk of life so you will not have much in common with many of them.
Rallies tend to be groups of like minded people so perhaps this would be a good way to go.
They eat together sleep together:Blush: and sometimes travel together.:Smile:

OP
OP
smiffy502000

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
friendly campers

out shopping the other day in our pugeot 308 car,a motorhome came down the road towards us,as we passed each other,my wife said....what a misery he never waved!!!........daft mare!:ROFLMAO:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
[HI]
there are some on here that wave at white van man and horse boxes.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:[/HI]

i

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's done that!!!! Was a small furniture van last week--and no, the driver didn't wave back.

Last edited:

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
When we first started motorhoming in 2006 we noticed most fellow motorhomers waved, in France too.:Smile:
But now there are so many more on the road it's hard to keep up and some are just dealers running a van from one place to another.:winky:

On campsites it's different. Same cross section as anywhere else.:RollEyes:

On aires there is a lot of cameraderie but you often have to make the effort especially with the French. Once you've crossed that line wariness changes to friendliness:winky:
In Honfleur we were even invited for aperitifs in their van by an elderly French couple!:whatthe:
M&A:Cool:::bigsmile:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Rallies tend to be groups of like minded people so perhaps this would be a good way to go.
They eat together sleep together:Blush: and sometimes travel together.:Smile:

Sleep together ....I see them there Rallies hav more going for them than I thought, do you have to get back to yur own MH before day break :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
:cry:I have heard and seen so many views and points on this..:ROFLMAO: just as i think Hymers only wave to hymers. one waves. have been told type waves to type :winky::thumb: van conversion to like and so on. forget our avitar. i cant seem to change photo,, so as we have a 27 year old renault traffic with Machzone body and have never seen another one. so hope people take pity and wave to us poor old sods::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

we will wave, cos you won't recognize us now alarms fixed.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Never had a wave from an RV:cry:
Maybe they are so high up they can't see us:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
M&A:Smile::Cool:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
When we first started motorhoming in 2006 we noticed most fellow motorhomers waved, in France too.:Smile:
But now there are so many more on the road it's hard to keep up and some are just dealers running a van from one place to another.:winky:

On campsites it's different. Same cross section as anywhere else.:RollEyes:

On aires there is a lot of cameraderie but you often have to make the effort especially with the French. Once you've crossed that line wariness changes to friendliness:winky:
In Honfleur we were even invited for aperitifs in their van by an elderly French couple!:whatthe:
M&A:Cool:::bigsmile:

Well you didn't want to speak to me at the Calais watering hole, I had to talk first - you can always trust a Yorkshireman to speak to anybody and everybody :winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (even a Southerner):Doh:

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Well you didn't want to speak to me at the Calais watering hole, I had to talk first - [HI]you can always trust a Yorkshireman to speak to anybody and everybody [/HI]:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (even a Southerner):Doh:
Speak as i find ,this is true.I,ve travelled all over the uk in my work.Two of us dropped in a local in yorkshire one cold damp night and were immediately welcomed,even joined the pub quiz team.We wave when we can and yes often at anything that remotely resembles a motorhome/campervan.
Don,t take long for us to get in holiday mode.Starts immediately we get on the ferry.::bigsmile:

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Well you didn't want to speak to me at the Calais watering hole, I had to talk first - you can always trust a Yorkshireman to speak to anybody and everybody :winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (even a Southerner):Doh:

Hey (upluv), I was doing those man chores - emptying loo, emptying water, avoiding dog poo, trying to hurry up 'coz others were waiting in the Q!:winky:

But it was nice meeting you even if briefly.:Smile:
That's aires for you!:thumb:
We've got five return crossings booked next year so, no doubt we'll meet again:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
hi there

we will wave, cos you won't recognize us now alarms fixed.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
A very good evening to you all. Hope all goes well with you all. and glad the motor is getting sorted. even at our age we still have teething trouble . only know its called old age. hope we meet up again soon. drive safe.
Barry & Evelyn..
(froghopper)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
funny ive just realised reading this thread that when we had the rambler we got waves now we have the selfbuild we dont i suppose the sb isnt obviously a camper till youve passed it

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I wave at everybody, frequently delivery vans (I feel really silly then). Usually people wave back but I found there weren't many wavers in Germany. The French are good wavers. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back