LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
OK you Kindlers, am looking at purchasing a Kindle as a gift for someone. They want to use it to read books and for the occasional email. They don't need to download films as they tell me I am far more amusing than any comedy film :ROFLMAO:.
I did look at some at Chester last year but put the purchase off as it was to techy for me.
So for clarity, ease of use, which one do I go for. Oh and can I receive and send emails worldwide or is it restricted to UK use.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i think it comes down to a choice of 2 kindles.
the kindle keyboard 3g or the kindle paperwhite 3g
as far as i know the amazon 3g web feature is a worldwide one and is free but limited mainly to web based e-mail.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have a WiFi only Kindle which is great for reading books but the web browser is rubbish. I always use a netbook or tablet for e-mail and browsing on the move. Right tool for the job :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I looked at the paperwhite and the keyboard, but cant see which has the advantage over the other. Obviously we would use the laptop when we have signal, but when outside the UK its always best to have a backup, and I thought the Kindle would provide this.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i suppose its down to personal choice between the 2.
the paper white has a backlit whiter display where as the the keyboard version is sort of a parchment coloured display without a back light.
although if you are emailing the keyboard version has obviously got a keyboard where the paper white is more like a tablet with an on screen keyboard.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I looked at the paperwhite and the keyboard, but cant see which has the advantage over the other. Obviously we would use the laptop when we have signal, but when outside the UK its always best to have a backup, and I thought the Kindle would provide this.

A fair point Dave but if Amazon use the same network provider that you use then you wouldn't get a signal anyway. Just using Google I found that they use Vodafone in the UK but couldn't find which providers they use oversees. It might be worth asking Amazon for a list of network providers for the countries you intend visiting before making up your mind.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I only use my kindle in the summer for reading outside. At home I read off my kindle app on the iPad which I am sure is available on all the latest tablets.

I recently bought a replacement as my old one broke but I wish I hadn't as I haven't used it yet.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I only use my kindle in the summer for reading outside. At home I read off my kindle app on the iPad which I am sure is available on all the latest tablets.

I recently bought a replacement as my old one broke but I wish I hadn't as I haven't used it yet.
Using your ipad for reading, is it as easy on the eyes as the kindle. Is reading a drain on the ipad battery. I'm looking for the best all round unit for my good lady.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Using your ipad for reading, is it as easy on the eyes as the kindle. Is reading a drain on the ipad battery. I'm looking for the best all round unit for my good lady.

It's fine Buttons - much larger print and the back light really makes reading easy in any light - apart from direct sunlight.

As for the battery drain, my iPad 3 eats power which is why I wouldn't recommend one. my wife's ipad2 under the same use lasts 2-3 times longer.

Don't believe the Apple hype about the new super battery on the ipad3

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I use my Netbook and Phone with the Kindle App, and as treacle says the larger screen seems to be easier on the eyes. I not against the Kindle readers its just I have the Netbook and Phone. The clever bit for me is they seem to be sync'd.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You'll be very disappointed.

Go Android phone or tablet !

But even then there is a gotcha, you can't read an Android in sunlight.

Have got an Android phone and hate the thing. Am going back to my old push button as soon as I get chance to nip down the 3 shop. Am happy with my laptop, so dont need a tablet, even if I knew what one was and did. The Kindle is not for me but a gift to save about 100kgs of payload. I just thought that for occasional use we could use it to collect and receive emails outside the UK. Is this possible on a Kindle and if so which one do I need.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
It's fine Buttons - much larger print and the back light really makes reading easy in any light - apart from direct sunlight.

As for the battery drain, my iPad 3 eats power which is why I wouldn't recommend one. my wife's ipad2 under the same use lasts 2-3 times longer.

Don't believe the Apple hype about the new super battery on the ipad3

Hi Chris
Are you sure you haven't got something running in the background?, I've been using mine for about 3 hours today and still got 82% battery power left, I did have an GPS app, Navaid, loaded and that seemed to use a fair bit of power even when I wasn't using it!!, I binned that app and I'm pretty pleased with the performance now.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Chris
Are you sure you haven't got something running in the background?, I've been using mine for about 3 hours today and still got 82% battery power left, I did have an GPS app, Navaid, loaded and that seemed to use a fair bit of power even when I wasn't using it!!, I binned that app and I'm pretty pleased with the performance now.

This sums up exactly what I mean by too much to go wrong with Android phones and tablets and tethering and all this techy stuff. I just want a Kindle to READ a book on and occasionally send and receive an email. WHICH ONE DO I WANT ?.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Dave I am probably less Techno than you but the £149.00 Kindle with 3g holds all the books that madam wants and all the way down France and now in to Spain I only once failed to read my emails and send replies at no wifi cost. I even posted a reply on Fun with it.

For the wifi purpose though do borrow one and try it as it aint fast and sure not easy for clumsy fingers and old eyesight

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dave I am probably less Techno than you but the £149.00 Kindle with 3g holds all the books that madam wants and all the way down France and now in to Spain I only once failed to read my emails and send replies at no wifi cost. I even posted a reply on Fun with it.

For the wifi purpose though do borrow one and try it as it aint fast and sure not easy for clumsy fingers and old eyesight

Thats what I wanted to hear :thumb::thumb::thumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)

Yes, this is the point. If you have wifi access the kindle will work but there are lots of devices that are better than the kindle for mail, the kindle is best as a book reader.

But if you DON'T have wifi access then the Kindle 3g gives you an option to use webmail absolutely free over the mobile phone network, pretty much all over the world (I have done so around Europe and in Japan) - I do not know another device that does this free.
Just be aware that since July this year Amazon have put a cap on the monthly download using this method, I think its 50mb. Enough for some mail but much for general browsing. Before then the volumes were unlimited.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi Chris

Hi Tony. Possibly I do have something that is draining the battery. I will take a look. Possibly I just have a duff iPad 3:thumb:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
So to conclude am looking at the Kindle keyboard 3G at £149 or the Kindle Paperwhite 3G at £169. The Paperwhite 3G is not available from Amazon until after 17Dec. In the opinion of the Kindlers, is it worth the wait or do I go for the keyboard ?.
Where's JJ the technophobe when I need him...he should be up and about by now.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I just thought that for occasional use we could use it to collect and receive emails outside the UK. Is this possible on a Kindle.

'er indoors had the K with keyboard. I did manage to use it's crude browser, which is the only way you could get emails. It was terrible. You'd bin it if you tried the new cheap one without a keyboard.

But it's a great reader.

If you have an Android phone then you already have the email device. I use the free K9 email client. You can also read books on it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back