Keeping van warm whilst driving (1 Viewer)

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Just took my daughter and dog out for a spin in the van as we do every couple of weeks and Lou remarked how cold it was in the rear of the van even with the heater on in the front.The van is 24 feet long and I suppose there must be a fair few vents.I plan on using the van as often as I can and was wondering what the rest of you do for additional heat whilst travelling.
Now remember that I'm a young at heart 42yearold with 2 young kids so we don't fancy the single plug in slipper thingy that most of you older lot use at home!:whistle:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There is no reason why you cant use your heating/water boiler whilst on the move. Its not a caravan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Terry my electric heater only works whilst on hook up,

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I do Snowbird,however was not too shure about safety.What I mean is wont it blow out

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I do Snowbird,however was not too shure about safety.What I mean is wont it blow out

I used to think the same until informed by Truma fitter that its OK to run with any appliance working. If it blows out it will switch the gas off anyway.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Also many American fridges do not have a 12volt facility, so run on gas when on the move. Have never had one blow out yet.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Much much better idea but perhaps not as practical----------drive down here to Spain a comfortable 26 degrees at this moment

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
So just out of curiosity if its safe to travel and run your appliances on gas ,why can you not leave your fridge stocked and running on a ferry?

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Vlad

If like me you have the mid van curtain, we close this then we only have to heat half the van. If you have the over kitchen large lift up Heiki, this creates a lot of draught as it has no seal, suggest you try some pipe lagging around inner lip, thats unless somebody has a better solution.

regards
Steve:thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I was under the impression that gas should be turned off at the bottle whilst travelling, however thats a differant subject.
for heating whilst travelling you could fit an Eberspacher, Webasto or Mikuni heater not cheap but by far the best option, or maybe a heater matrix that uses the coolant system of your van such as this Link Removed
we used to fit these in vans we produced for the blood doner service a lot of ambulances used to be fitted with them aswell

Revk

Free Member
Jul 19, 2012
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
swift Royale 630
Exp
So pleased you asked

appreciatet the question and answer, now we know thank you all

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Steve,I have got a divider and had not thought about closing that.Its always the simple things you overlook.
The large opening window in my van is above the rear lounge I have a smaller one with an extractor fan above kitchen.Both have surrounds with perforations for venting.From your advice am I right in thinking you were not using gas fire on move?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As Snowbird,
In winter we travelled with our gas heating on .. also fridge as it had no 12v option..

If you do intend to travel with gas on, for safety, it would be a good idea to fit a Link Removed which shuts off the gas if there is a rupture in the line ..

For summer cooling, we ran the roof air cons from the built in generator..

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I agree with earlier posts, diesel heating is fantastic for having an evenly heated van.

If you do have a gas fire, then make sure you have the Secumotion hosetail and the correct in-motion flue top.
All the info is on the Truma website, although you might have to source your parts from the continent because us risk-averse Brits won't stock 'em!:winky:

These will ensure yours, and other roads user's safety.:thumb:

This CS Control seems to be the latest thing from Truma-

Broken Link Removed

Do bear in mind though, it needs to be mounted on part of the gas locker which cannot separate from the bottle in the event of an accident! If the bottle hosetail pulls out, it won't work!

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Ive got to say SOME of the advice above could be dangerous, leaving gas fire and or fridge running on gas is fairly safe if you have securmotion fitted, but what about naked flames at a petrol station??

most fridges have the burner just behind an open vent and gas fires have burners at floor level above an air intake

just think what will happen with a petrol spill or when releasing an LPG filler hose and the rush of gas. One spark could be enough, but you have an open flame........asking for trouble

use gas on the move possibly....but turn it off BEFORE pulling into get fuel:Eeek:

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks Big One good points I feel a few have missed.Are there any 12v heating solutions out there that are any good.Nothing mentioned thus far.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Ive got to say SOME of the advice above could be dangerous, leaving gas fire and or fridge running on gas is fairly safe if you have securmotion fitted, but what about naked flames at a petrol station??

most fridges have the burner just behind an open vent and gas fires have burners at floor level above an air intake

just think what will happen with a petrol spill or when releasing an LPG filler hose and the rush of gas. One spark could be enough, but you have an open flame........asking for trouble

use gas on the move possibly....but turn it off BEFORE pulling into get fuel:Eeek:

DON'T USE PETROL use Diesil ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks Big One good points I feel a few have missed.Are there any 12v heating solutions out there that are any good.Nothing mentioned thus far.

12 volt heating systems....Save your money, also as with any advice given on this forum or for that matter any other forum....If your not happy with it, dont do it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
terry

I realise most motorhomes are diesel powered but what about a large number of the cars on the forecourt? The fumes or gas cloud could be caused by anyone on the forecourt filling up not just the motorhome driver

common sense really.... would you be happy filling up alongside somebody with a lit cigarette lighter?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

Very good point!

Have you also considered that an automatic energy selection fridge can also spark up on the residual gas left in the line when you stop your engine?

-Just another thought!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
terry

I realise most motorhomes are diesel powered but what about a large number of the cars on the forecourt? The fumes or gas cloud could be caused by anyone on the forecourt filling up not just the motorhome driver

common sense really.... would you be happy filling up alongside somebody with a lit cigarette lighter?
Tongue in cheek :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back