Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Thinking of going to France next year and was wondering how the tesco voucher offer works .how much in real terms does a crossing cost.
Thanks in advance.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi vlad we have used them last 3years for euro tunnel can't remember exact price think it was around£140return so needed just under 50 in vouchers you send them to tesco or exchange online one you have vouchers phone et and book. I'd phone them first with your dates then you will have an idea of price before exchanging tokens

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Hi Vlad,

We have used Tesco vouchers for the last 3 years. You get 3 times the value of the Tesco vouchers as Travel vouchers. Thus if you have £50 worth of Tesco vouchers you can convert them into £150 worth of Tunnel Travel Vouchers.

The travel vouchers have to be used within 6 months of their issue. That is for the booking NOT the date of travel. So if you convert the vouchers on say 1/12/12 you must make your booking before 2/5/13 but your booking can be any time after that.

What I do is go through the online booking system and find how much the crossing I want will cost. Then convert the required Tesco vouchers to Travel Vouchers on line at the tesco clubcard website.

The travel vouchers are sent to you along with a special tesco booking line number for eurotunnel. You ring them and make a booking and then send them the travel vouchers. If the cost of the crossing is more than the Travel Vouchers you have then you have to pay the excess, if it is less you lose the balance.

The booking will only be confirmed after they have the vouchers. You should send them special delivery because lost in post vouchers will not be replaced. If you send them special you can claim the value back from the Royal Mail.

Hope this helps it may seem conveluted but it works well.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Sorry for being a bit dim, but how do you get vouchers? Do you use your club card points and how many points make a voucher? ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Was gonna ask the same..

The only vouchers we ever get are for specific items of shopping

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
1. Your club card points are converted into Tesco vouchers which is what they send you periodically through the post. I'm not totally sure but I think at present each point = 1p.

2. You can then redeem the Tesco vouchers to 'buy' travel vouchers. Before you do so, go onto the Euro Tunnel website and check the price of the crossings for the time dates you want, you pay the same price as is shown so you can 'jiggle' it to get the best price. Once you've done this you'll then know the value of the travel vouchers you'll need and if you don't have enough for the full fare, you'll know how much extra you'll need to pay in cash (debit card).

3. Now go to the Tesco Deals website and put in the amount of Tesco vouchers you want to change in multiples of £5 (remember they will be turned in to travel vouchers at 3 x the initial value). After you've entered the amount you then have to input the ID numbers of your tesco vouchers onto the site itself so don't have to send them away as once they're 'spent' they aren't usable any more. As an example, if you redeem £20 of Tesco vouchers they will actually be converted to £60 worth of travel vouchers. If you don't have enough travel vouchers to pay for your Euro Tunnel crossing in full, you pay the rest in cash (debit card). Don't pay for the 'cash' element with a credit card as you'll be charged for the privilege! :RollEyes:

4. It will take a few days for the travel vouchers to come through but once you have them go onto the Euro Tunnel website again and check out the cost of the crossings to ensure you know the exact cost, then ring Euro Tunnel (ring 01303 282061 to save paying the 0870 rate!:thumb:) and make your booking. You will be asked for the total value of travel vouchers you are using and a number off one of them for their records, you'll then be given a booking reference number but with the last digit missing (you'll get this one they've received the travel vouchers) and be told to send the travel vouchers in within 5 days.

5. Now write the booking reference on the vouchers and complete the form (from the Tesco Deals website) and send your travel vouchers off to Euro Tunnel by Special Delivery (do not use anything else as it won't be covered if they get lost and they will not be replaced by Tesco!).

As an example, for us the normal cost for our crossings is £66 each way, so £132 in total which is the equivalent of £44 in Tesco vouchers. As you can only exchange Tesco vouchers in multiples of £5 (so each £5 = £15) we therefore usually exchange £45 in Tesco vouchers for £135 in travel vouchers and 'lose' £3 worth (or £1 in Tesco vouchers!). On top of this is the cost of our dogs (£30 each, so that adds £90 :Eeek: ), but unfortunately they can't be paid for with vouchers so has to be paid for in cash (debit card).:shout:

Your travel vouchers are valid for up to 6 months from the date they were 'exchanged' via the Tesco Deals website so you don't have to spend them right away. You can make your booking with Euro Tunnel using your travel vouchers for a crossing up to 12 months from the date you make it - ie, if you make a booking with them on 10 December 2012, you have to travel within the year to 9 December 2013 inclusive. Even if you're not sure exactly when you want to go, you can make your booking and change it later as there's no admin charge to amend your booking with them, the only cost would be if you were to change your crossings to a more expensive time and then you'd have to pay the difference in the crossing cost. The closer you get to your original crossing date though the more expensive it can get, which is the same for most travel anyway.

As an aside, you can actually 'manipulate' your Tesco vouchers by over-exchanging them for travel vouchers (or other deals vouchers) - we had some to the value of £15 but only wanted to exchange £5, however, any excess just goes back into the kitty at Tesco, so only £5 was converted to the travel vouchers, and the remaining £10 value of Tesco vouchers just went back into our account - this is a useful 'trick' to extend the date on Tesco vouchers which are coming near to their 'use by date' so you don't lose them or have to 'spend' them in the store! :thumb:

I think that all makes sense! ::bigsmile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Was gonna ask the same..

The only vouchers we ever get are for specific items of shopping

You do get some 'coupons' when you get your Tesco mail to spend in store (ie £1 off when you spend £3 on bread etc) but you should also get some Tesco vouchers which can be redeemed for deals vouchers. So, unless you don't use your Tesco card, or spend very little so don't accrue the value, or just unwittingly spend these in store too (we did at first as we didn't realise we could use them for deals! :Doh:) then I don't understand why you don't get vouchers ... you haven't asked for them to be 'saved' until this month have you as part of their 'Christmas Savers' club thingy? We have so will be getting a 'bulk mail drop' shortly!!!! ::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
truth be told I reckon we just do not spend enough in Tescos

Woman has an almost irrational hatred of all things Tesco ( I think a tesco worker may have bumped in to her pram or something when she was a baby :ROFLMAO: ) so tend toward Sainsburys

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
There are some very efficient ways of collecting points!:thumb:

For example, once there was 1000 extra points available if you bought £50 of wine for home delivery.
So, £50 pounds spent on wine, bought in 1050 clubcard points, or £10.50.

At the time, Eurotunnel vouchers were on a 4-1 exchange basis.

So, we enjoyed £55 worth of wine and had £42.00 towards our next crossing! Thank you very much Tesco!:thumb:

The exchange rate for Eurotunnel is now 3-1, so you can't get such a good deal any more.:Sad:

Top tip! If you have a Tesco credit card, you earn points whilst you spend on holiday too!
Oh, and home phone, insurance, mobile phone, EON electricity, mortgages and pet insurance all earn you points too!:thumb:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
cheaper than tescos

Thinking of going to France next year and was wondering how the tesco voucher offer works .how much in real terms does a crossing cost.
Thanks in advance.

Hi all, have a look here http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk they seem to be pretty good on price, a friend of ours had booked 2 crossings with DFDS at the motorhome show and paid £49.99 for each crossing. :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thats £49 return.. But still not as cheap as sweet fanny adams IF you have vouchers

For the majority the DFDS option is far and away cheaper than the chunnel ( I check all the options every time we go and the chunnel is always far and away the dearest for us )

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Not sure how you figure that out?

How can £50 each way by ferry be cheaper than £0 return by tunnel?
Not £0 return...they have a face value in store and online. I have given in and ordered rewards for a chunnel crossing, it will then work out about the same price as a special offer DFDS (who we usually use) UNLESS I could have spent them on some gadgetry (double face value just now).....Drives you mad! The consideration I gave into was winter crossing, could be rough, Izzy left in the van, alone and terrified... Jane

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
one thing to remember ,if your tavelling with a pet you cant include it in the tesco deal . it has to be paid for as normal . through eurotunnel .

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the Chunnel is magic for pest, oops pets, and even better for those who hate queuing or have a dicky tummy. plus you get to stay in the van. Best thing since sliced bread no matter how you pay for it. well worth the extra.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Not £0 return...they have a face value in store and online. I have given in and ordered rewards for a chunnel crossing, it will then work out about the same price as a special offer DFDS (who we usually use) UNLESS I could have spent them on some gadgetry (double face value just now).....Drives you mad! The consideration I gave into was winter crossing, could be rough, Izzy left in the van, alone and terrified... Jane

But you still got the points for no more than buying stuff you already needed at competitive prices!::bigsmile:
They came for free!
If you went to Morrisons,for example, you wouldn't have got a free tunnel crossing, or any other thing from the deals brochure!

I know this is a matter of perception! LOL:roflmto:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Not sure how you figure that out?

How can £50 each way by ferry be cheaper than £0 return by tunnel?

Well the £50 will be for as many times as you want to travel, I`m thinking you would have to do a fair amount of shopping in Tescos to get that many points.

Have to say I don`t like half frozen veg or their meat and fish counter, even their little nearly sell by date counter isn`t that cheap, I`ve seen single packets of mince out of date that day selling dearer singularly than the offer of buy any 2 for £6.:Doh:

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
a compromise to having to do all your shopping at tesco is to take out the tesco credit card then carry on shopping at your usual supermarket of choice, pay for all your fuel on it, (again at a supplier of YOUR choice) and build up your points that way. you dont have to go anywhare near tescos if you dont want to !! the card is actually part of the rbs group i think . so probably no worse than most others for charges but the trick is to pay it off in full every month . that way its free credit AND tesco points !! you dont get the same ratio of points to the pound spent but you will be surprised how it mounts up, especially when filling up works vans ,motorhomes etc !! regards garry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
there is a way of collecting points for free, but it makes you look either environmentally friendly or just a saddo.

Pick up all the discarded till reciepts in the car park.
many will have something like 'this visit WOULD have earned xxx points'

take them to the customer service desk with your card and get them transfered.

a friend of mine has 'earned' thousands of points doing this.

and you're tidying the carpark too. :thumb:

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
return ticket

Am I right in thinking that if I book my chunnnel ticket origionating from Folkstone and returning from Calias (obviously) I can use my vouchers

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
truth be told I reckon we just do not spend enough in Tescos

Woman has an almost irrational hatred of all things Tesco ( I think a tesco worker may have bumped in to her pram or something when she was a baby :ROFLMAO: ) so tend toward Sainsburys

Jaws we dont do a great deal of shopping in Tesco either but we got ourselves a tesco credit card (which we pay off in full as its the only way it makes it a good deal). If you use your tesco cc anywhere even in morrisons or aldi for instance you will still get points and if you use it in tesco for shopping you get extra points cant remember the exact amount. So we use that and fill up with petrol at tesco using their cc and we gain enough point to pay for ET and several other deals through out the year.

If you go on to martin lewis website he tells you about deals for clubcard points one deal was buy a hand cream for something like £3 and get 500 points so actually worked out tesco paid us :ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
HHmm so my choice is...................
Tescos credit card and get a free chunnel crossing....

Orrrrrrrrrrrr

Stick with my duo card and get airmiles for a free trip to Florida in a couple of years :winky:

Seriously, that is good info but truth is, if woman found out I had a Tescos card, she would bite my bum off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
just went last week for £26 each way dfds if you don't mind od times you can get sum good deals

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back