LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I see lots of folk either thinking of buying or indeed carrying various bits and bobs to put under their wheels if they get bogged down.

Just a tip I picked up from a rather obscure source ...

The problem with FWD and mats, is that if ( IF :winky: ) you do manage to get them under the wheels , the moment you start to try to move ( to drag the rear wheels out of the little pocket they have sunk in to ) the mats will simply be spun out by the front wheels..

If your vehicle is FWD, it is worth packing a goodly length of reasonably stout rope.

Attach said rope to the front of the 'mat' and other end to a solid anchor point such as a tree or at worst, something banged in to the ground as solid as possible

That should stop the mats flying out the back of the wheels at a vast rate of knots !! :thumb:

Of course, you might be able to reverse out but the info is still good .. In fact it still works on rear wheel drives for the same reason :thumb:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Am I missing something? :whatthe:

Not too sure why it would make any difference which way you were trying to get out of the mire - forwards or backwards?

And in any case, surely the idea is to make the driving wheels turn as slowly as possible, rather than making them spin. :thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
If I have to take a grass pitch I'm in the habit of driving onto my milk crates or putting them immediately behind the ramps if I need to level at the front so I can roll back onto them (yes FWD). I also peg them down with steel pegs, one in each corner. Sometimes difficult to swing the mallet but I get them in one way or another.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Am I missing something? :whatthe:

Not too sure why it would make any difference which way you were trying to get out of the mire - forwards or backwards?

And in any case, surely the idea is to make the driving wheels turn as slowly as possible, rather than making them spin. :thumb:

Yep.. you are missing something..

if the rear wheels have sunk on a fwd it it REALLY difficult to haul them out..
It makes no difference how slow you get the wheels to turn, the grip mats will still be forced out backwards from under the front wheels..

Believe me, in my van it is almost possible to sink on tarmac let alone grass or sand

As an ex grass track stox and banger driver, I know most of the tricks getting vehicles out of the goo, but with 4 ton+ front wheel drive with most of the weight towards the back, life can get very difficult very quickly no matter what you do !!

I usually do the normal, 2nd gear, virtually no revs, just off stalling, using the torque rather than anything else
It always ends the same bloody way ...
After I have sunk in further its usually ropes and tow out, but over the weekend, with tow car standing by ( :winky: ) I used the 'tether the anti-slip mats down' method.. Still not easy but it did work ok and the tow car remained unused !

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
"to drag the rear wheels out of the little pocket they have sunk in to "

That's why I bought four bread crates, so I can put them under the rear wheels as well. Not had to use them in extreme circumstances yet, though, so the efficacy is to be proved ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I was on two bread crate cut downs on the rears and two supposedly proper mats on the fronts last year in Spain... I think most of you folks saw the pictures of us being dragged out ( again !! :ROFLMAO: )

Hopefully slabs will be laid on our pitch for the upcoming visit !

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Prevention is better than cure!
Always, but always park on some sort of pad when on anything other than a proper hardstanding.

You will also need some sort of track about 6 feet long in front (or behind if applicable)of the driven wheels to give the wheels a running start.
Try to keep your foot off the accelerator, just let the ECU do the work.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i use these to extricate meself place them at the bottom of the levelers or the " parking pads" that i put under the wheels when the ground is not solid:thumb: £14.99 and worked for me..:thumb:

you can tie the end to the bumper or chassis so they drag out when you drive away and dont have to go back into the mud to collect em.

stick em in a plastic bag untill you can put them under the tap / hose:thumb:

Attachments

• ladder.jpg
    ladder.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Prevention is better than cure!
Always, but always park on some sort of pad when on anything other than a proper hardstanding.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

never been to Zahoha then !!! I can just imagine loading up 4 12ft scaffold boards and dragging them across Europe !!!!!!!!!!!! :Eeek::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back