Traction batterys (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Looking to buy traction type batterys,fed up with so called leisure batterys.
Size and weight no problem,so what would you suggest and where from :Smile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I put a set of six leisure batteries on my boat about seven years ago and only changed them six months ago, you must have been buying crap batteries.

pair of 2 x 12v to give me 24v for each engine and 2 for leisure, lights, fridge etc

Ours last !

Peter

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i got 2 US 12vXC Batteries from my local fork lift truck supplier.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I put a set of six leisure batteries on my boat about seven years ago and only changed them six months ago, you must have been buying crap batteries.

pair of 2 x 12v to give me 24v for each engine and 2 for leisure, lights, fridge etc

Ours last !

Peter
so took you six years to try and start the engine peter, not surprised really:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Thanks John & Shell and Icantremember for the links, but you don't say which actual batteries you bought & I can't see "traction" batterys listed anywhere on either site?

By the way Icantremember I do remember meeting you @ Oradour.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Just replaced my seven year old Trojans last weekend with 2 new ones.....

http://www.tayna.co.uk/T-105-Trojan-Battery-Deep-Cycle-T105-P7253.html

Great price and service from Tayna with next day delivery :thumb:

I guarantee you wont go back to leisure after fitting traction battery's.....They just keep going :thumb:.

Just remember they will give of gas when charging so will need to be in a sealed container and vented to the outside.

Ralph

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks John & Shell and Icantremember for the links, but you don't say which actual batteries you bought & I can't see "traction" batterys listed anywhere on either site?

By the way Icantremember I do remember meeting you @ Oradour.

I have just clicked the link and it went straight there!

'Traction' is a generic term, just as 'industrial' or 'deep discharge' is.

The Dyno range is an industrial traction-type made in the States and they are very good value compared with Trojan.
We did 4 days without recharging in VT last year on our 3 battery, 345Ah bank, 'nuff said!:thumb:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
I have just clicked the link and it went straight there!

'Traction' is a generic term, just as 'industrial' or 'deep discharge' is.

The Dyno range is an industrial traction-type made in the States and they are very good value compared with Trojan.
We did 4 days without recharging in VT last year on our 3 battery, 345Ah bank, 'nuff said!:thumb:

OK thanks for that, All i need to know now is how/why this 1 battery is better than the 2x 110 batteries I can buy for £20 less?
Thanks.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you want proper 'traction' batteries you need something like these Link Removed

two of these wired in parallel will give you 225ah capacity, about the same as you have now, but are designed to be just about flattened before recharging.

they are much more robust with far heavier/thicker plates and stand more abuse than regular lead/acid leisure batteries (

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

By the way Icantremember [HI]I do remember meeting you @ Oradou[/HI]r.

Hi Jay, I found Tayna to be very helpful on the phone and I would think they do most types of battery ...... certainly worth a phone call.

Oradour seems ages ago now but it's nice to think back to the warm weather then. After seeing you we stayed for 2 nights before moving back up North.

Brian

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
If you want proper 'traction' batteries you need something like these Link Removed

two of these wired in parallel will give you 225ah capacity, about the same as you have now, but are designed to be just about flattened before recharging.

they are much more robust with far heavier/thicker plates and stand more abuse than regular lead/acid leisure batteries (

Any idea about the weight of them?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
So 2 (12v) are 56kg:Eeek: Now what am I going to leave out to make room:Confused:

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Pretty much made my mind up either Dyno or Trojans, just wanted to hear it from you guys. Looking to fit 2 maybe 3. not sure of size yet but i think bigger the better
Also buying high output ctec charger to run off genny,not everyones choise but i like to keep things simple

jonandshell---Yes we are looking to VT again this winter,just a few things to sort before we set a date, hopefully meet up with you,haggers and the gang,

Peter---They were banner battries, normally good if you can keep them charged but i did run them down too much a couple of times which killed them, thats why im going for deep discharge batts

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Rick (Motor roamin) has a couple of 1 year old 6v 220ah T6220's for sale.

link to RVOC thread Link Removed

a bargain at that price. :thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
So 2 (12v) are 56kg:Eeek: Now what am I going to leave out to make room:Confused:

56KG heavy? Mine are 75KG each and I have 2 of them :thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

I thought I had better clarify why mine are so heavy.

They are Industrial Traction batteries designed for heavy duty UPS applications such as data centers. They are 12v 250AH VRLA AGM batteries with a 10 Year specced lifespan. I under utilise them by a major factor never discharging below 70% (or rarely) I charge them at a current well under their maximum charge rate which is 75amps each or 150amp combined. I currently charge at 25amp but will be upgrading the charger to 50 amps early next year which is still only 1/3rd of the maximum charge rate.

Because I look after them even after 5 years+ they still hold as much charge as when they did when new.

That all said I originally bought 4 of them but had to sell 2 when I downsized due to payload constraints. They were close to £400 each but can take some serious abuse when necessary.

I have a B2B installed and if my vehicle battery goes flat I unbolt the input cable and connect it to the output. Leave it for a couple of minutes then crank the engine and it starts first time. Very handy in winter:thumb:

I really did go nuts when speccing the batteries as 12v power is vital to me as a fulltimer. 500Ah was the minimum I could manage with to give me a week of work time if 240V wasn't available.

The only downside to them is when I move them across vehicles they are bloody HEAVY:Eeek:

Pigwam

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Chester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Try Manbat if you go to one their trade counters they normally charge everyone the trade price.

they sell 'US Battery' traction batteries, but go for any Golf Cart traction battery normally sold in 6 volt mono bloc's.

I've got a pair of park monobloc batteries which I got s/h about 10 years ago out of a old mobility car and they are used every night to power the garden lights and charged up via an old solar panel someone gave me, I forget to check the electrolyte quite often and have to charge them up overnight every couple of weeks in the winter.

the only reason I mention that is to show if you look after these batteries they can give a long life.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have 2 x 220amp leisure from Tanya batteries and with the help of solar panels have not needed to use the genny this year, the downside is that they are 50kg each. I had an Optima 5.5 on my last caravan and they were brilliant, I mybe should have got 2 of those as they are much lighter

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have 2 x Dyno 30XHS batteries that I sourced on Jon's recommendation. Just need to get round to fitting the B2B changer next.

Sourced them from Easystart (they also have a warehouse at Manchester where I collected mine as well as HQ at Corby) and paid approx £110 each including VAT earlier this year. :thumb:

Just double check the dimensions as the spec sheet was incorrect. I made them aware, so they may have updated it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back