FORD 7" Car Touchscreen DVD Sat Nav GPS advice needed (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I am thinking of fitting a new FORD 7" Car Touchscreen DVD Sat Nav GPS to my Hymer Exsis-i which is on a Transit base. The question is how does the unit perform specifically the SatNav function. Is the Ford system every bit as good as say, TomTom, Garmin etc. I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has experience with these Ford units and how they function. Thanks

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
May be wrong (and I am sure someone will correct me) but I think the problem about manufacturers original equipment satnavs is that you cannot upload your own POIs - one of the main reasons Funsters have satnav.

Steve

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I dont know about the add on Ford Sat Navs, but my car has a built in one and I think its great
( she says turn left/right or whatever then "please", very polite and doesnt get her knickers in a twist if you deviate)
It seems to me to be quicker to program than the Navman, Garmin or Snooper units and the options for view are easy to access.
The built in unit has a partly duplicated info screen in the dash to save turning your head to view the main screen.
Cant be certain but I have it in my mind the Ford unit in the car is made by Sony.
According to my Ford dealer it sounds an expensive job to update and he looked blank when I talked about poi's

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

flashkim

Free Member
Oct 28, 2012
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Relay L2H2
Exp
Few years now
HURRY £89.90 Sat Nav 7 inch..
I have just bought a 7 inch Navman sat nav with a truck mode ability.....I have not tried it out yet as you get one months free trial of the truck mode from when you start using it. BUT it is BIG and has a very strong sucker mount included with a very long ,compared to others I own, arm and adjustment ..just right for my Mk 7 transit on an amazon dash weighted Pad

You will have to be quick as the offer from Halfraudes ends tomorrow here's a link

Link Removed

Not much of a risk is it enjoy Kim :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
May be wrong (and I am sure someone will correct me) but I think the problem about manufacturers original equipment satnavs is that you cannot upload your own POIs - one of the main reasons Funsters have satnav.

Steve
I'm sure some can.
I can on my Chrysler 300 inbuilt nav but only individual POI's and must be input manually to a specific poi memory.....to complicated and cant be bothered..

My mapping is on CD (downloaded to nav memory) and was written in 2006 so very out of date now.
2012 update disc is just £37 and covers the whole of Europe and UK.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
HURRY £89.90 Sat Nav 7 inch..
I have just bought a 7 inch Navman sat nav with a truck mode ability.....[HI]I have not tried it out yet[/HI] as you get one months free trial of the truck mode from when you start using it. BUT it is BIG and has a very strong sucker mount included with a very long ,compared to others I own, arm and adjustment ..just right for my Mk 7 transit on an amazon dash weighted Pad

You will have to be quick as the offer from Halfraudes ends tomorrow here's a link

Link Removed

Not much of a risk is it enjoy Kim :thumb:

Frankly, I have no faith in 'truck sat navs' as they use the same mapping database as every other sat nav.. For routing, they will use M and A roads and avoid low bridges, weight and width limits .. all of which can be loaded onto a TT and set for your van .. free.

As it gets mixed reviews on Halfords I hope you follow up with yours..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back