LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
No, its not what you thought. My Merc 410 chassis was sagging a bit at the rear what with all the stuff in the garage and when I hooked my buggy trailer on. So having recovered from the initial shock of the price of an air suspension kit, which did NOT include gauges and pump at almost £600 without labour I decided to attack the leaf springs.
Having taken them off and delivered them too a company in the Midlands who have re tensioned them and put in an extra leaf complete with new extended U bolts and painted like new, am well pleased with the result and the old girl sits up as perky as she did when new. All for the princely sum of £150.
The problem with motorhomes is that unlike the commercial vehicle chassis that they are built on, they are always loaded and this weakens the springs over time.
The company I used has been trading for many years and not only can I recommend them, but they have promised me a funster discount. So if any of you are thinking of lifting your rear ends send me a PM and I will give you the contact no.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, My good lady could do with an uplift front and back ( seems as ladies get older bits head south. ) Dont suppose they can help.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Tis a strange phenomenon eh Terry. Also a very touchy subject to discuss with them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi, My good lady could do with an uplift front and back ( seems as ladies get older bits head south. ) Dont suppose they can help.

May I respectfully suggest that the "air bag" route might be more suitable than the "re-tensioned steel" route in this case... unless of course you were thinking of your own needs too... :winky:

JJ :Cool:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
No, its not what you thought. My Merc 410 chassis was sagging a bit at the rear what with all the stuff in the garage and when I hooked my buggy trailer on. So having recovered from the initial shock of the price of an air suspension kit, which did NOT include gauges and pump at almost £600 without labour I decided to attack the leaf springs.
Having taken them off and delivered them too a company in the Midlands who have re tensioned them and put in an extra leaf complete with new extended U bolts and painted like new, am well pleased with the result and the old girl sits up as perky as she did when new. All for the princely sum of £150.
The problem with motorhomes is that unlike the commercial vehicle chassis that they are built on, they are always loaded and this weakens the springs over time.
The company I used has been trading for many years and not only can I recommend them, but they have promised me a funster discount. So if any of you are thinking of lifting your rear ends send me a PM and I will give you the contact no.

We snapped a rear spring on our 1992 S700 Hymer on the 410D chassis. It was only found when the garage jacked it up to do some work on the rear brakes.

We fitted two new rear springs however these had to be imported VOR from Germany and cost us £1500 plus fitting.
At that time we could find no local reparer for the springs in the North East.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We fitted a set of Grayston spring-assisters on the Dethleffs.
They transformed the handling and restored original ride-height :thumb:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We snapped a rear spring on our 1992 S700 Hymer on the 410D chassis. It was only found when the garage jacked it up to do some work on the rear brakes.

We fitted two new rear springs however these had to be imported VOR from Germany and cost us £1500 plus fitting.
At that time we could find no local reparer for the springs in the North East.

John
For future reference John. Jones Springs, Darlaston West Midlands are your men. The man told me he can collect and deliver almost anywhere in the UK for £20 by courier. As I said earlier, for the best price PM me :winky::winky::winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back