Anyone able to explain this please. (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Not concerned by it, just after an explanation.

My Motorhome Heating system :

A couple of months ago I thought I had a problem with the heating system. Everytime I turned it on electric it would not work. The red light would go on after it had been through it's process of getting starting and the clicks etc.
At the same time on Gas, it would not work with the cooker on. That for me was an easy scenario and led to a chang of the old Truama regulator and replaced by the better Clesse one. All replaced and bingo works on gas and works on electric again.

Today, whilst being out in the van I decided to check the heating out. Again no heating on gas or electric. So I turn on the gas cooker, no gas, simply had ran out after all the work ive been doing in the van using the last of the gas up. Switch my auto change on for the other bottle and again problem solved.

So In short, My heating works fine on gas, it works fine on electric. But why if there is no gas in the van will the electric not work? I am suprised that it needs gas to work on the electric?

Anyone able to explain please? Just interested. :thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Is it a combi system?

Also, you say when on electric only it does not work even after the clicking cycle has gone through. On mine when on electric only there is no clicking that only happens when switched onto gas. Is there an issue with the controller switch straight to gas?

Just a thought

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Is it a combi system?

Also, you say when on electric only it does not work even after the clicking cycle has gone through. On mine when on electric only there is no clicking that only happens when switched onto gas. Is there an issue with the controller switch straight to gas?

Just a thought

Thanks Phil, Yes it is a combi system.

However, there is a distinct differnce between the gas heating and the electic heating. As you know the Gas is far more powerful. When on electric it's deffinately on electric. If I disconect the electric the heating stops working as is to be expected.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Aparently there are a few diffent pcb,s as there have been some issues with earlier ones. Trouble is its not clear to us users which pcb is fitted. If its still under warrenty id get it checked..

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Aparently there are a few diffent pcb,s as there have been some issues with earlier ones. Trouble is its not clear to us users which pcb is fitted. If its still under warrenty id get it checked..

But Phil,

It works fine?

Just can't work out why it will only work on Electric if there is gas :RollEyes:

Strange...

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Tis strange as you say... i was thinkin that some sensor or circuit is playing up and the pcb is therefore overiding the electric if it cannot sense a gas pressure..... but i am only trying to make an educated guess.

Johno1

Free Member
May 10, 2010
North East England,
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
newbie, ex caravaner
combi

But Phil,

It works fine?

Just can't work out why it will only work on Electric if there is gas :RollEyes:

Strange...

Hi, Ive got the Truma combi on my new Bailey Approach, still not happy with the control settings when choosing 240v or gas or combined, then water with heating or water only? was informed by dealer to set to gas or 240v does not seem to operate as a mixed fuel boiler and the electricaly heated blower is a waste of time, it does heat the water ok and I get the red alarm on the dial on some settings.
Phil

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
It would appear that it is not working on electric at all, so I was wrong. Even though when I turn it to the electric settings it still works, its running on gas.

Truma were very very helpful and are suggesting its the control switch. £55 and I have a new one on the way, gotta pray they are right but somehow I doubt it :RollEyes:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I've found that the heater does not work when gas runs out, not even on electric. It had me stumped at first but assumed it was some kind of safety issue.
Wyn

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I've found that the heater does not work when gas runs out, not even on electric. It had me stumped at first but assumed it was some kind of safety issue.
Wyn

These all sound like faults to me. Mine can be set to gas or electric (either 900 or 1800 watts) or both with again either 900 or 1800 watt setting.

If its set on any of the elec settings and there is no elec, it will not work. But if there is no elec, set it on gas only and then it works fine.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I should have added if there is no gas set it on elec only and it works. - at least mine does.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
These all sound like faults to me. Mine can be set to gas or electric (either 900 or 1800 watts) or both with again either 900 or 1800 watt setting.

If its set on any of the elec settings and there is no elec, it will not work. But if there is no elec, set it on gas only and then it works fine.

Yes you are quite right,

I have contacted Truma and they tell me the gas should play no part in the electric heating at all. They then gave me information about the fault.

Wynn, I would try and give them a call yourself, maybe just run a few checks, I can give you advice on that if you like, its just what they told me. :thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well Haggers, if you are right and it doesn't work on electric when the gas is empty or low then that solves my dilemma.

Mine just would not heat a couple of months ago (on EHU), I tried it on Gas / Elec and then on both; nothing.

Then as soon as I changed the bottle it worked on all sources.
:thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Ok- Firstly mine is a C series EH 6003 (i think) combi system.

The controller is in two dials. One operates the fan, 1-9 and operates the switch for hot water and heating. The other dial determines what you put the heating on too....up once 900w Heating up again 1800w (both electric of course)- Turn the other way and it its gas and 900w electric, turn down again and its gas and 1800w electric.

The issue was that I turned it upwards to the electric, the heating appeared to work fine. Then a few weeks ago it stopped working, I switched it over to gas and still nothing. I then diagnosed that the Truma regulator had failed. I then replaced it with a Clesse one and it worked fine again. At this point I thought that it was working again as it appeared to work on gas and electric.
My susspicions were aroused when the heating failed again, this time it was because the gas bottle had run out. I replaced the gas, and bingo, away it went again. However I suspected something was not right, hence the inital post and the subsequent discussion.

I therefore contacted Truma, who were very helpful. The gentleman suggested 1 of 3 things. The first thing he said was that the gas side has in no way an effect on the electric side. You could infact disconnect the gas bottles, take them off the van throw them in the hedge, sit with your electric heating on getting warm.

His thoughts were that the Controller was broken- This is because it is unable to recognise that is should be on electric and seems to think it is setting on gas. He suggested that this is the most likely cause of the problem.
Possibility number 2 was the wiring harness. Truma inform me that this is not done by them as Swift use there own. However, he says this is unlikely unless some way it has been snagged. I can't see this as I have checked through and there is no where where this could of happen.
Possibilty number 3 would appear to be the PCB, however, he informs me that it is highly unlikely to be this. The system is 4 years + in service, he has never known a PCB failing in that manner before.

I have therefore ordered a new control switch, quite difficult to get hold of but managed eventually. £55 later I will know whether this was the cause tomorrow when it arrives. Hopefully it will fix it, but I doubt it as I never have any luck with these things when there is a choice of 3, no doubt I will be heading for the PCB after changing the harness:RollEyes:

Hope this descrition helps

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back