Oct 26, 2012
Chester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I am newbie
Quick intro
I am john and my lovely wife is Maxine and we have sold up and bought our first motorhome quit our jobs in the corporate world and decided to travel first place Scotland in December after our job notice period ends.
Any tips for making our trip a success are more than welcome, we are a excited and a little scared too, we are in our late 40's, girls all grown up and married so this is our gap year!!
Regards
John and max

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
:Eeek: you don't do things by half do you::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
:welcome: to the madhouse
best advice is to fill her up with diesel
point her in any direction
close the door
and away you go
have fun

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Well done and good for you's, that's the first step to freedom, enjoy and welcome from us!:thumb:

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Quick intro
I am john and my lovely wife is Maxine and we have sold up and bought our first motorhome quit our jobs in the corporate world and decided to travel first place Scotland in December after our job notice period ends.
Any tips for making our trip a success are more than welcome, we are a excited and a little scared too, we are in our late 40's, girls all grown up and married so this is our gap year!!
Regards
John and max

Sounds great and as if you needed to escape, i think most definately you have made a very cool move, what can be the worse scene scenario ?,

Enjoy every day as it comes, different day, different place,

Let me know when you are in my part of the world, we meet and put the world to rights over a drink or two !,

Ken Beerdrinker. :thumb::drink:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Yes I too fled the banking world with my ill gotten gains, so can't say I blame you both.

Only joking, welcome to the Fun, I think the fear and the excitement melt into one after a few weeks.

Motor-Home Travel, on Tarmac or Gravel

A Week or Two in the Sun

If you have any trouble or Technical Muddle

Find the answer in Motor-Home Fun

Welcome to the bestest Motor Home forum on the interwebbythingy......Griff

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Scotland in December

Go to Ullapool, get on the ferry to Stornoway then spend as much time as you wishing adventuring south through eash island until you get to Barra. http://www.calmac.co.uk

The Hebrides are BEAUTIFUL and often sunny (windy too!) in winter. I think the west coasts are the best imho and you can wild camp just about anywhere there is a beach or mountain ::bigsmile:

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
Quick intro
Regards
John and max

Hi there John & Max
and WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME
the funsters are a great bunch; you'll enjoy.
Been 'vanning for 13 months, and have made our fair share of mistakes, but it's all part of the fun.
Decided with some trepidation to plump for 6 weeks in Scotland next May.
Hope you have a great time & let the funsters know how you get on .

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to fun, you sound to have some great times ahead of you, lots to plan if you are going to be in Scotland over Christmas and New Year, why not look at what rallies are being held over New Year, if you are a member of any clubs.
If you are more local Hagnap has a brilliant New Year Rally running at Utoxeter Race Course, always something going on in the Motorhome world.
If you are near Rosemarkie (on the Black Isle) just up from Inverness worth checking if the Dolphins are around always worth a look.
Whatever you choose to do enjoy.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I would recommend the trip up the west coast stopping at places like Sheildaig, Scourie, Kinlochbervie and Durness.In mid winter it can feel wonderfully remote but the days are very short so be prepared to spend a lot of time snuggled up in the van! You may get the spectacle of the northern lights or get connected into some local culture as reward for your hardiness.
We will, however, be heading the other way!:Cool:
The best month for Scotland is usually May with the best bright and fresh weather, longish days and no midges!:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Funny you're going to Scotland just when a load of us are going to Chester. Scotland is really amazing in the winter but jolly cold, I haven't been for years though.

:welcome:

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Welcome - from another relative Newbie. Scotland is a great place for touring, but it has to be remembered that days in the far north are very short - six maybe seven hours of daylight with sunset in December around 3.30 pm! Also, it can get seriously cold, and can regularly drop into minus double-figures. A heavy overnight snowfall, and you could be trapped! And, if you want to get into a site for the essentials, there are very few that are open all year, particularly when you get into the far north. We've just had a few days around the far north - and hardly saw another car. Deserted beaches, crisp clear air, the sound of rutting deer ... This shot below was taken just four days ago - what a view to wake up to over your early-morning brew! If you are intent on coming up in December - be very cautious - the weather may catch you out.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
As Campercaillie says, it can get cold. That's the advantage of the Outer Hebrides, very rarely gets below freezing out there (it sounds odd I know but it's true)::bigsmile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
As Campercaillie says, it can get cold. That's the advantage of the Outer Hebrides, very rarely gets below freezing out there (it sounds odd I know but it's true)::bigsmile:

Hebrides in Winter ! Done it but would not do it again !! The wind is frightening, that's why there are no trees there !
January it's 90 degrees !! The angle of the rain that is !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I would recommend the trip up the west coast stopping at places like Sheildaig, Scourie, Kinlochbervie and Durness.In mid winter it can feel wonderfully remote but the days are very short so be prepared to spend a lot of time snuggled up in the van! You may get the spectacle of the northern lights or get connected into some local culture as reward for your hardiness.
We will, however, be heading the other way!:Cool:
The best month for Scotland is usually May with the best bright and fresh weather, longish days and no midges!:thumb:

Hey Johnstey, you certainly know your Scotland..... spot on,

Caipercailie's advice very good, thats why there are ski areas around his area,
However there are many parts of Scotland starting in Dumfries and galloway that don't suffer extremes of weather and can be very pleasant most of the time, so come and explore,

Ken ( Beerdrinker ) :thumb: :drink:

Sorry Campercallie I named you after a bird !!!!!!, what could I be thinking off sorry mate,

Ken

No i can't even spell proper, I am off fo a pint to recover my equilibrium

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Good for you John and Max, although Scotland in December??!!??
I prefer a bit of warmth on my skin so I would go South at this time of year and my beautiful wife is half reptile, so anything below 10C is beyond her comprehension. We have 5C here today on the South coast and she has changed colour.

Good luck to you both

Keith :Cool:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Hey Johnstey, you certainly know your Scotland..... spot on,

Here to prove the point about how wonderful May can be is a shot of Oldshoremore, Nr Kinlochbervie, taken last May.Heaven on earth:thumb:

Attachments

• Oldshoremore.jpg
    Oldshoremore.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 13
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
go south young man the wither is better and i have know so many that have taken a winter camping trip never to get back in ther van
many years ago i lived in a motor home up near aberdeen it was one of the most memorable experiences i ever had would not do it agene but vans motor homes are so much better now so enjoy every minute you lucky couple and every journey starts with the first turn of the wheel in a southerly direction or north east or west enjoy and:welcomefunster::flyingwelcome:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back