Cobb and Double Skillet (maybe even a Wonderbag too) (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I fancy these, what's not to like?

Any one who uses any of them care to comment?

I don't want any electric or gas alternative so not interested in Cadec or Remoska :Tongue1:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

I don't want any electric or gas alternative so not interested in Cadec or Remoska :Tongue1:

Double skillet definitely ... Cobb - some say they are great but they are a bit limited and expensive too and you have to wait, as you do with a charcoal BBQ, for them to get to the right heat so it takes longer to cook with them.

Why are you not interested in gas? :Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i must admit bbq-ing on gas is just like using the hob / oven inside.
where as charcoal adds a distinct flavour of smoke and carbon :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Use my double skillet all the time :thumb:

Mind you, I don't have much room for anything else! :Blush:

By the way, am I the only person to have managed to partially melt both skillet handles? :Doh:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
My brothers has a Cobb.

An hour to heat.

An hour to cook.

An hour to wash.

Well perhaps not quite but it seemed like that.

Steve

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
i must admit bbq-ing on gas is just like using the hob / oven inside.
where as charcoal adds a distinct flavour of smoke and carbon :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Must admit that when we changed from charcoal to a gas BBQ many years ago (the one with the 'coals') we didn't notice any difference at all except it was quicker and less messy. Then we cooked without the coals and found they didn't make any difference either! In our experience it is the fact that the food is cooked over direct heat that gives it the distinctive BBQ taste.

We use one of these now as it runs off the cheapo aerosol type gas cartridges and is fantastic! The below link is the CHEAPEST you will find!!!

Link Removed

Attachments

• Marksman grill.jpg
    Marksman grill.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 41
  • camping-fishing-3-in-1-portable-gas-camping-grill-3in1--2442-p[ekm]300x225[ekm].jpg
    camping-fishing-3-in-1-portable-gas-camping-grill-3in1--2442-p[ekm]300x225[ekm].jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 30

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Cobb or Double Skillet

Double skillet works well

The lady who normally sells it at shows is however planning to retire

from what she says her last appearance may be Peterborough 2013.:Smile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

Oops, meant Cadac:Blush:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Double skillet definitely, but I would also say get the large size, a defuser and a spare lid, then you are sorted, you can warm pies etc with the defuser, and with the spare lid when the need arises they can be used as two saucepans. Excellent bit of kit does exactly as it says on the lid :Smile:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I fancy the Cobb for outdoor stuff and the Double Skillet for indoors :winky:

Actually I should have said that I like the idea of using the Cobb as an oven. To be honest I'm not bothered about genuine 'barbecue' flavours (smoke and burning!). The Double Skillet looks versatile for cooking on the hob.

Thanks for the answers so far, keep em coming :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We use a Cobb purely as an oven. It can be used as a BBQ but its a bit small for that, but maybe OK for two. We use the Cobb exclusively for Sunday Roasts. It cooks whole chickens or large family sized joints of beef, pork or lamb. Nothing I've tried when camping beats the Cobb for properly roasting meat. Never spent longer than two minutes cleaning it, tap out the ash tray and wipe:thumb:

We don't have an oven in the van, even if we did we would not roast in it, we'd use the Cobb.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Use the Cobb quite a lot at home and in the moho. When not at home I use the cobblestones which are ready to cook on in about 10 mins. The cobbles are expensive(ish) but far easier and quicker to use than briquettes.

I've just found a supply of cheap cobblestone like things in one of the local cheap shops which now works out at about £1 for 2 hours of cooking.

Cooked the turkey (crown) on it last year for Christmas dinner (I stood it in the greenhouse to keep out the weather :) ). Bloody lovely. It does an excellent roast and is handy as a BBQ too.

You soon get the knack for quick cleaning so it no worse or better than any other BBQ

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Tried them all over the years but most of our outdoor cooking is done using one of these Link Removed Can't beat them, infact Ive cooked breakfast for a 100 people only using a couple of them and the large cadac paella pans:thumb:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Tried them all over the years but most of our outdoor cooking is done using one of these Link Removed Can't beat them, infact Ive cooked breakfast for a 100 people only using a couple of them and the large cadac paella pans:thumb:

That link takes me to their home page, Jim

Wyn

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry about the dodgy link.

This is the cooker I was talking about
Link Removed

Meanwhile I just found this picture of a Sunday Lunch in Portugal; cooked on the Cobb, Even when we're abroad in 30c we rarely miss a traditional Brit Sunday Lunch. :Smile: The chicken below was stuffed with lemons that had fallen from a tree on our pitch.

Chikoncobb.jpg

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
You brute Jim !!

Sorry about the dodgy link.

This is the cooker I was talking about
Link Removed

Meanwhile I just found this picture of a Sunday Lunch in Portugal; cooked on the Cobb, Even when we're abroad in 30c we rarely miss a traditional Brit Sunday Lunch. :Smile: The chicken below was stuffed with lemons that had fallen from a tree on our pitch.

Chikoncobb.jpg

CRIKEY !!!!! That looks painful !!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ref the double skillet - I had a nice chat to the lady at the Shepton Mallet Show and she said she's wanting to give up the shows but still do the mail order side of the business, so even if she gives up the shows, you should still be able to get them from the website.

I cook a nice roast chicken in my double skillet when we're away in our van (see below), scrumptious.

Attachments

• roast chicken.JPG
    roast chicken.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 23

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread