Internal screens ...which ones ? (1 Viewer)

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
There is a current question on external screens.but what about internal.

I already have a good external.......but would also like to have an internal for my 2009 Autotrail .....which is a Fiat.

Any thoughts ?

barry

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Yes..
Dont bother, waste of time and cash..
Usually the suckers will fall off or they start to bend down.
Dont stop condensation like the external ones...

Someone will come on now and tell us how great they are.. :Doh:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
There is a current question on external screens.but what about internal.

I already have a good external.......but would also like to have an internal for my 2009 Autotrail .....which is a Fiat.

Any thoughts ?

barry

I never found the internal screens much use.....they are not totally private,sometimes the suction pads fail and they fall off:Doh:, the windows still get steamed up badly .....if they are with an added thick curtain inside maybe ok...the external screens far better but you have go and fit them, and take them down...also when WET (most of the time either with dew or rain) then you have to wipe them or stand in the shower room to dry... but still the best option not perfect:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Yes..
Dont bother, waste of time and cash..
Usually the suckers will fall off or they start to bend down.
Dont stop condensation like the external ones...

Someone will come on now and tell us how great they are.. :Doh:

Tonka you beat me to it...I was replying while you was..I TOTALLY AGREE:thumb:

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
I have internal screens. Agree re the condensation etc. No problem with suckers though. Have considered the pro's and con's and still want to stay with the internal ones for safety reasons. If I ever have to move on quickly I can just rip them down without getting out of the van and off I go.
Kaybee

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I agree with Tonka ..... we bought a set for a previous van, tried them once and sold them.:thumbdown:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I find the fitted blinds quite adequate. There can be condensation on the windscreen in cold weather but not a big problem. My old Dethleffs had a lever that woul divert some warm air from the Truma heater to the demist vents. This worked to keep the windscreen clear of condensation. Pity it's not on the present van.
If I need to get off in a hurry and windscreen is covered in condensation, I have a squeegee which can clear it in seconds. I would not use external screens unless I was staying for a while in midwinter in an absolutely safe location (if there is such a place).

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We have both, the internal ones came with the van and as was previously posted the suckers tend to fall off, they don't prevent condensation and are of little use, besides I can well imagine if you are in a really cold climate and you have external screens then adding internal ones may help a little..

The external ones are far better, yes the issue of taking them off in a hurry is one issue, but they do work and they do protect the van...

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We got some brand new ones with our MH but have never used them as the dealer even said they are not much use. We immediately ordered Silver screens and had folding blinds fitted internally for sumemr use which are great but expensive.

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I already have exterior ones....and they are very good.
But in Jim's useful book on security ( especially in europe ) is suggests that if you park up somewhere and need to get away fast for any reason...........dont use external blinds. Seems sensible to me.

So back to my original question which ones are best?

barry:Smile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Microfibre cloth and curtains are the fastest for an escape!

If it is just for the occasional overnight on an aire, or roadside - that would be the better option. Even internally, you would still have to get the screen down and discard it somewhere. Curtains are easy to throw back, wipe the screen with a microfibre as they are absorbant and streak free and floor it!

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
You said someone would come on to defend internal screens - well here I am. We use internal screens and find them great. Fair enough they don't stop all condensation but are far better that the external screen which came with the van. They are easier to use and provided you buy a good quality screen you should'nt have problems with the suckers coming off. I used to hate putting the external ones on, especially if it was windy or raining and hated it even more taking it off when it was wet.
We got ours from Comfort Van.

www.vancomfort.co.uk/contact.html

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Last edited:
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Since I can't get an off-the-shelf external cover, for the time being I'm using internal screens and they're OK. They give me a bit more privacy, even more with the internal curtain, and do seem to have a positive effect on keeping the van warmer in winter (and make a big difference in keeping it cool in the summer).

Condensation...yes.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No 1 reason for internal blinds is to reflect sunlight keeping the inside cooler.

that why they have very little bulk and reflective 'foil' on the outside face.

external screens are for insulation and anti condensation.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

external screens are for insulation and anti condensation.

And they do the job well-however,if you remove them before breakfast this time of year you will probably have condensation by the time you are ready to leave if you do not open some vents and windows whilst cooking breakfast-thus letting out all the warmth ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
I know cos we've been doing just that on our recent trip.

Mike.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I have internal screens. Agree re the condensation etc. No problem with suckers though. Have considered the pro's and con's and still want to stay with the internal ones for safety reasons. If I ever have to move on quickly I can just rip them down without getting out of the van and off I go.
Kaybee

This argument about 'safety reasons' always makes me smile ::bigsmile: The amount of condensation with internal screens means at least 15mins with a good chamois leather before you can drive safely !
Secondly,with external screens your screen is clear the moment you take them off-true you have to get out of van,but,if you've levelled up you'd need to do that any way or leave your levels behind. Perhaps being more carefull about where you park is the better way to go.
Just my opinion ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
The Remis ones came fitted to our van, had em for 6 years without any problems.:thumb: Also use the outer jobbies if it's really cold or really hot to stop the sun heating up the van.
The sun is that big yellow ball in the sky that sometimes comes out if your wondering.

But for sure if your forced into staying some where less selubrious don't use the external jobbies as the guvnor Jim points out.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Magnets !! thats the answer !!!

Sew in big lumps of metal to the external screen zips

In an emergency Hold the magnet up to the windscreen and move down, pulling said lump of iron and the zip down !!

Sorted :thumb:

Seriously though..
We have both internal and external.. No longer bother with the internal ones as apart from getting everything nice and wet they did not do much at all :Eeek:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
You said someone would come on to defend internal screens - well here I am. We use internal screens and find them great. Fair enough they don't stop all condensation but are far better that the external screen which came with the van. They are easier to use and provided you buy a good quality screen you should'nt have problems with the suckers coming off. I used to hate putting the external ones on, especially if it was windy or raining and hated it even more taking it off when it was wet.
We got ours from Comfort Van.

www.vancomfort.co.uk/contact.html
Are these any good? You have had at least 4 years to find out so I am very interested to hear how they have lasted... The ones we have curl up at the corners and fall off the glass!!

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
We have http://www.nrfcamper.it/eng on our i800.

They work very well and are very easy to put on and off. And I can open only th drivers window to allow light in for me while my wife is sleeping.
I like the idea of not getting wet putting them on and off. But yes, they do produce some condensation in really cold weather. Never in sunny Spain.
Never lost one of the stick-on-suckers in the 5 years we've had them.

(Just my opinion, but it is the most important one)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Are these any good? You have had at least 4 years to find out so I am very interested to hear how they have lasted... The ones we have curl up at the corners and fall off the glass!!

We used them right up to the time we sold the van last October when we left them in for the new owners. They performed just the same at the end as they did at the beginning. They never once fell off the screen due to sucker failure. The new coachbuilt has external screens which unless it's really cold don't come out of the bag because of the faffing about.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks - that's very helpful.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We used them right up to the time we sold the van last October when we left them in for the new owners. They performed just the same at the end as they did at the beginning. They never once fell off the screen due to sucker failure. The new coachbuilt has external screens which unless it's really cold don't come out of the bag because of the faffing about.
However, on closer investigation they do 2 sorts, one is £50, the other which is much thicker and has built in suckers is £125!! Which do you think you had?
Many thanks

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I made my own thermal interior screens using the fabric available from O'learys. I've made 1 each for drivers & passenger Windows and front screen. I edged each one with binding tape and sewers button holes to thread the suckers through. We do occasionally get some condensation but they are really easy to install and remove, they roll up and store in the locker, they keep the bus really warm and I've never had problems with suckers falling off. All in they cost me £130 plus a coup,e of hours with a sewing machine. O'learys also sell the suckers.

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/thermal-screen-material-internal-use-only-1386-p.asp

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
Hello,

This is my new internal blind for the windscreen.

Yes, I do remove the rear view mirror to close it.

It is attached using velcro - saves potential problems with MOT's.

Although the rolled up screen is only a couple of inches deep and is hidden behind the sun visors anyway, so should be Mot-able I think.

The inside photo shows our camper mascot; Noddy the dog.

If you look really close you can just see his Funster badge on his collar.

Regards,

IMG_0980.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back