Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I fancy protecting myself with an in-cab-camera and you can get them for about £20 I've seen one, more expensive but the spec on this particular camera seems to be superb, two HD lenses, knows if you've had a collision, auto starts with the van etc. It's on ebay; has anyone already got it? Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I fancy protecting myself with an in-cab-camera and you can get them for about £20 I've seen one, more expensive but the spec on this particular camera seems to be superb, two HD lenses, knows if you've had a collision, auto starts with the van etc. It's on ebay; has anyone already got it? Link Removed

I was looked at them myself Jim.. here is some useful info

Broken Link Removed

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Let us know how you get on Jim. I could have done with one last night driving home from work. Parked cars both sides of the road and boy racer coming the other way expecting me to give way to him. It wasn't going to happen.

We both stopped, exchanged glares and then the other guy moved forward and so did I . I heard a slight noise and noticed my wing mirror was forced in and assumed we had touched mirrors.

I carried on but noticed in my mirror that boy racer was doing a u turn. He then proceeded to tailgate me. I was with my wife and he had another chav with him.

"Here we go " I thought. I carried on until I got to my daughters school and pulled in. He did the old block me in routine you see on the films.

I asked what his problem was and he said I had scraped his car. I got out and sure enough my car was scratched and so was his. he said it was my fault , I said it was his. He wanted my insurance details and I said no problem but I want yours as well.

I went back to my car to get a pen and by the time I got back he had changed his tune and said he didn't want to take it any further. I suspect he didn't have insurance.

I don't think it was my fault but I was relieved not to get beaten up to be honest.There are some right nasty pieces of work in this part of South East London. Thankfully he wasn't one of them despite what he looked like.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Jim, I missed that thread. Did you buy one in the end?

Not yet, decided against a cheapo on the basis that if ever needed as evidence they wouldn't provide enough info .. gps location etc ...

Santa has promised me a Link Removed

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Not yet, decided against a cheapo on the basis that if ever needed as evidence they wouldn't provide enough info .. gps location etc ...

Santa has promised me a Link Removed

Yes, two things for me, with Link Removed definition and the autostart feature. Without a good pic quality you may as well not bother and Sods law says, the day I need it I'd have forgotten to turn it on:Doh:

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Yes, two things for me, with Link Removed definition and the autostart feature. Without a good pic quality you may as well not bother and Sods law says, the day I need it I'd have forgotten to turn it on:Doh:

Greetings Jim, sounds like a good product. Have you thought of contacting them to see if you can get a Funsters discount? I am sure there would be quite a few on here would be interested. Most of us either drive slow or driven slow vehicles which have been targeted in the past by rear shunt scammers.
Just a thought. John

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have one on the windscreen pointing at the road..

Link Removed

It is lower res than some but has been super reliable.. Turns its self on and off ( turns off after the feed voltage has been removed but not until the current vid has been fully stored )

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004

Link Removed

It is lower res than some but has been super reliable.. Turns its self on and off ( turns off after the feed voltage has been removed but not until the current vid has been fully stored )
same here:thumb:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years

Link Removed

I have the same one very happy with it and it records my French words when some tit head cut s me up

Dingray

Free Member
Dec 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
CB
Exp
Since 2000
In car camera

Hi Jim,
I can definately recomend the Roadhawk camera, It links into Google mapping and records sound, vision and map location, it also registers your speed. When I bought mine I also ordered a second mount and power cable for use in the car and M/H.
One thing to remember is when another vehicle or pedestrian makes you brake/swerve and you automatically mutter " stupid ***** " this is also recorded so remember who or what you talk about while driving!! If I have a passenger I normally switch the sound recorder off,
tho it can be interesting to hear what was said at a later date.
If you go into Roadhawk website you can see a recording of an accident which proved the lorry driver was not to blame. (these recordings can be used in court)
Ray.:thumb:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
There's a good Android app if you have a decent android camera phone.
I have a Samsung galaxy S2 paired with Samsung's own car mount. Pop the phone into the mount and it automatically switches to car mode (video cam, hands free etc).
Records in HD and auto start.

App is called VideoReg, also has many settings e.g. displays location on mini map.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you go into Roadhawk website you can see a recording of an accident which proved the lorry driver was not to blame. (these recordings can be used in court)

If you mean the vehicle that punted a Merc car up the boot it proved he was 100% responsible.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Have you got a link to the one you use Ray?

Hi Jim,
I can definately recomend the Roadhawk camera, It links into Google mapping and records sound, vision and map location, it also registers your speed. When I bought mine I also ordered a second mount and power cable for use in the car and M/H.
One thing to remember is when another vehicle or pedestrian makes you brake/swerve and you automatically mutter " stupid ***** " this is also recorded so remember who or what you talk about while driving!! If I have a passenger I normally switch the sound recorder off,
tho it can be interesting to hear what was said at a later date.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
What about high temperature?

Just looking at these cameras myself and the possible problem of excessive heat near the windscreen got me wondering if this could be a factor.

Most of the details I have read on the various models do not mention working temperatures ..... the only one that does states 0 - 40 deg C (Link Removed ) and surely the temperature can raise well above this upper level in direct sun in the summer.

Anyone got any views on this?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Here ya go Jim.. http://www.roadhawk.co.uk/
If you can afford it, they are without doubt the best out there :thumb:

Brian, no idea what the top temp is supposed to be mate, but mine has been in the windscreen facing the sun in Italy this year with an ambient temperature of 39C, so inside the screen proly closer to 50c++, and it was absolutely fine :thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You need to spend around the £200 margin for a decent set-up.

£20 ones will not be that hot as they are cheap copies - and keep in mind, that most of that £20 will be shipping and profit - quality of materials are dubious!

Makes such as Esycam and Roadhawk are fine, if you want to go pro and have all round inside and out security then you will be looking at around £600 margin. That will give you a black box dvr similar to aircraft and up to 6 cameras.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
A couple of points; 1) a very well known national company has been using a similar system for a few years now with good "preventative" results, ie stickers notifying everyone of the camera. System cost,s is excess of £1000.
2) What is your insurers take on this, in the event of a claim, would they actually be bothered that you had a camera, if so, is there a discount as there is with alarms?
3) Despite the rumours, are they admissable in court, and who says so?......only 2% of cctv is ever used succsessfully in court.

On the current EVIDENCE, it woud appear that a few well plced stickers would be as usefull as a system.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nice one Jim.. Would appreciate a report on it as that looks like a very good upgrade option to what I already have.

DL, I have NO idea if a court would take it as valid, but I speak from close experience, the police DEFINITELY do

We was on a ride out when the guy doing tail end charlie was a SMIDNSY victim

Police were called and the guy in the car that pulled out said the bike was travelling considerably faster than he should have ( 30 limit ) and he thought he would have plenty of time to pull out.. blah blah blah

Officer noticed David had a Pro-Cam mounted on the front.. He pulled the card and viewed it there and then in the police car

Went back to the car driver and nicked him on the spot for all sorts including trying to pervert the course of justice ( I guess by giving false evidence.. no idea really and no idea if it stuck )

David had a full payout, and the car drivers insurers did not contest any of the claim at all

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
A couple of points; 1) a very well known national company has been using a similar system for a few years now with good "preventative" results, ie stickers notifying everyone of the camera. System cost,s is excess of £1000.
2) What is your insurers take on this, in the event of a claim, would they actually be bothered that you had a camera, if so, is there a discount as there is with alarms?
3) Despite the rumours, are they admissable in court, and who says so?......only 2% of cctv is ever used succsessfully in court.

On the current EVIDENCE, it woud appear that a few well plced stickers would be as usefull as a system.

That is a good point regarding the stickers.

There are several videos floating around showing people "rolling over bonnets" and then trying it on, often calling the police.

At that stage the camera nips any argument in the bud. So whilst I think that the expensive ones with GPS data and date stamp would probably be required for litigation if it is a out an out con anything is better than nothing.

I used to think that they were the domain of the paranoid, but must admit to changing my mind over the last few months having seen the scam videos

Eddie

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
HD car DVR

Got this puppy from ebay, £80, been in continuous use for 6 months now.
Twin lens, 5MP forward, 1.5MP reverse (rotates), HD, GPS (shows on Google maps), G sensor, Will show both images or single front/rear. Rewrites over oldest files but 2GB will record 20 hours or so.
JK

Attachments

• car dvd.jpg
    car dvd.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 54
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i have one of the cheep ones off of ebay works OK with not bad picture quality use it in my car as i do a lot of mileage back and forth goole to Aberdeen it was only £19.99 only had it just over a week if it gets nicked i haven't lost to much
$(KGrHqV,!jcE-ds(8pfzBP6WU2mj8Q~~60_35.JPG

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Sorry not been through the whole thread but the one at the bottom of the cameras here with a video looks excellent
Link Removed

£83

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Your gonna love this ... not............ :Angry:

Apparently the guy tried to say all the bikes were on the wrong side of the road..

Looks more like the moron is a brit driver who forgot what side he should have been on..

The police took the video as evidence

http://www.gaskrank.tv/tv/touring-strasse/crash-in-spain.htm

After he hit the first bike I do not understand why he carried on and knocked all the others off unless he was drunk:Doh:

francour

Free Member
Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
road camera

Hi have a look on amazon under road hawk or windscreen cameras Thanks Bernie:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back