Should Caravan insurance be compulsory... ( caravan on Fire )... (1 Viewer)

should caravan insurance be compulsory

• YES caravan Ins should be compulsory

Votes: 39 76.5%
  • NO don’t see the reason

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other please specify in a reply post

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i am interested in reading opinions on the circumstances that has made me post this Poll / Thread;

last wednesday at the CC site at Pembrey country park a caravan was parked on the next pitch to my brother in laws motorhome.
at around 5 am he and his wife were awakend by banging on the van and shouting.
the said caravan was on fire and seriously ablaze.
Fortunately no one was injured, but the caravan was burned out and by the time the fire brigade had things under control the tow car had also become a victim.
Brother in law and his wife had to stand some distance away along with others a hope his motorhome would not be afected in any way. Again, only through good fortrune and the breeze in the oposite direction probably saved his motorhome.

later he established that the fire was probably caused by a fan heater which had been left running all night in the caravan while placed on the carpeted floor of the caravan. the ocupents woken by a smoke alarm only fitted a week before.
Also, the the caravan was not insured, so had any other caravan or motorhome been affected compensation would be a problem other than claiming on your own insurance.

makes you also consider where you place your van keys at night and the type of silver screen you have. He had his cab keys in a drawer as always and could not react fast enough as his silver screen did not have a fold down front, so could not quickly move his van.

scarey or what, to watch helplessly as your pride and joy is litterally in the line of fire...:Eeek:
interested in all your thoughts on the matter.

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
forgot to mention the inlaws motorhome is an AUTO TRAIL so may have done him a favour if it had burned..:hardhat::hardhat: :winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It's a difficult one isn't it. Compulsory insurance for road use makes senses but i would not want to see legislation to insist we insure for other things. What if it was a frame tent that went up in flames, should tents be insured? Where do we stop?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
damp wood takes ages to catch fire :roflmto:

seriously though insurance should be compulsory if only to protect third parties.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i think it should be compulsory for trailers also.
whilst they are connected to the tow vehicle they are covered under the tow vehicles insurance to a point but what i wonder is if they disconnect and slam their brakes on as is the job of the breakaway cable what happens if the insurance says its not covered as it was not connected to a towing vehicle????

also whilst on about insurance it would be a good idea for cyclists to have insurance as i have seen a few of them cause accidents.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
It's a difficult one isn't it. Compulsory insurance for road use makes senses but i would not want to see legislation to insist we insure for other things. What if it was a frame tent that went up in flames, should tents be insured? Where do we stop?

very valid point,, thinkin about it i guess it could be covered by personal liability insurance ( if the individual had any ) but not sure about that.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
In this instance I doubt that the insurance would have paid out anyway
You may find all portable heating appliances are a huge no no in Motorhomes as well as caravans:Eeek:
Thats why the best advice is as always "An Oil filled device", by far the lowest fire risk

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The Road Traffic Act states that 1/3 party insurance is compulsory for any trailer used on public roads .. most car policies include it , but you must check, it may be excluded. So while hitched.. insured.. unhitched not

Making it compulsory while pitched on a site? No.. as already said, where would it end.. also, if the site rules are adhered to, ie 6mt gap between vans, the risk is very small..

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
then comes the question as to if the guideline of 6 metres is between the vans or the van and next doors 3 metre awning making the actual gap only 3 metres.

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Making it compulsory while pitched on a site? No.. as already said, where would it end.. also, if the site rules are adhered to, ie 6mt gap between vans, the risk is very small..

the more i think about it the more i agree with you. its just the thought of loosing your van to anothers fault and having to claim on your own insurance and no claims.

however, the main point in all of this is that no one gets hurt..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
brother in law says that you could see and hear when the hose on the gas bottle went and when the cylinder poped.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years

Well if my mother in laws knickers ever caught fire in a big wind.......it could lead to a major disaster.........they should be fully comprehensive !!:Smile:

barry

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
brother in law says that you could see and hear when the hose on the gas bottle went and when the cylinder poped.

Luckily for them eh !

By the way, I like my Auto-trail but I have some issues that I am trying to get put right. Hope it doesn't take ywo years :Angry:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
whilst they are connected to the tow vehicle they are covered under the tow vehicles insurance to a point but what i wonder is if they disconnect and slam their brakes on as is the job of the breakaway cable what happens if the insurance says its not covered as it was not connected to a towing vehicle????

also whilst on about insurance it would be a good idea for cyclists to have insurance as i have seen a few of them cause accidents.

Cyclists definitely should carry insurance, along with horses and dogs.
You cant own both the road and the footpath without some liability cover, surely?

Cover for caravans and trailers in general is usually covered by the towing vehicle, but not covered if it detatches.
If I remember rightly, when we had a caravan years ago, this "detatched" insurance cover was only pennies.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
In answer to the posed question, I would say yes, but only public liability insurance..

As far as 'having to stand back and hope my van was ok' I am afraid it would take someone with a bloody big gun to stop me driving it off ( dragging the awning, hook up and anything else attached if need be too ! )

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
In answer to the posed question, I would say yes, but only public liability insurance..

As far as 'having to stand back and hope my van was ok' I am afraid it would take someone with a bloody big gun to stop me driving it off ( dragging the awning, hook up and anything else attached if need be too ! )

Me too, repairing a damaged awning and or hook up socket is going to be cheaper and less inconvenient as losing the whole lot.

I know many people say such things but if put to real life test would panic. trust me though when you do jump in there it really raises the blood pressure and you go through all the regrets after, certainly not the right thing for many people.

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
then comes the question as to if the guideline of 6 metres is between the vans or the van and next doors 3 metre awning making the actual gap only 3 metres.

The 6 meter gap should be between the awning and the next van or awning depending which way it is parked. A car is allowed in the gap

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I damaged a parked car when my trailer became detached (crappy trailer and a large pothole). The car insurance covered it even though it was detached.

When I had a trailer caravan I did insure it with 5Cs though.

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Makes you realise why the MCC insist on the 20'/ 6m rule and why vans should always be parked with the Gas locker the away from the next door van.
We tend to see caravans on a pitch with a awning and a car which extends to their total boundry, pity about the Camper next door paying the same for the same size pitch. Caravans!! no insurance, no MOT, no road Tax???
Tyres ??? Lets be right, how often are you overtook by a Rig doing 70 plus without any legal complications.
Should be Tax Tested and Insured, for the safety of all other road users.
The problem is several MP's are sponsored by the major Caravan Clubs, so they have 'clout'
Best Regards, Mac

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Makes you realise why the MCC insist on the 20'/ 6m rule and why vans should always be parked with the Gas locker the away from the next door van.
We tend to see caravans on a pitch with a awning and a car which extends to their total boundry, pity about the Camper next door paying the same for the same size pitch. Caravans!! no insurance, no MOT, no road Tax???
Tyres ??? [HI]Lets be right, how often are you overtook by a Rig doing 70 plus without any legal complications. [/HI]
Should be Tax Tested and Insured, for the safety of all other road users.
The problem is several MP's are sponsored by the major Caravan Clubs, so they have 'clout'
Best Regards, Mac

maximum speed limit towing a caravan in the uk is 60mph

Too true about the lack of maintenance on many caravans, seen far too many wrecked over the years because a rotten tyre blew out or the suspension was overloaded and failed. Some people seem to lose common sense when it comes to towing a caravan. You wouldnt drive a car for a 3 week holiday each year and park it in a garden the rest of the year without any maintenance.

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

Im with you guys on this,,, the wardens refused to allow anyone drive their vehicles away..... can understand their logic,,,, but it would take a very convincing intervention by a warden to stop me attemting to drive to safety, mains lead, awning and all if it was out.. provided i was not entering the fire!

The inconvenience of even the slightest amount of damage is huge:Eeek:

It has taken the in laws all weekend to scrub the smoke marks off the roof of his van and check the seals where he can.

I think i would be getting the proffesionals to check that all out with " the help " :whatthe: of the caravan owner.

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
looking around at the NEC at the weekend the price of some of these caravans i would most certainly have it insured.
if you go out and spend £15000 on a mid range caravan and dont insure it just because its not a legal requirement you need your head sorting

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
if you go out and spend £15000 on a mid range caravan and dont insure it just because its not a legal requirement you need your head sorting

Agreed, and I'm sure the majority do .. but as pointed out, the insurance company will wash it's hands if the fire is caused by a portable heater.. fan, oil, gas or whatever.. something everyone should consider before using.

There are many others, who for whatever reason, see it as just another expense they can least afford. Not everyone has or can afford a £15k van.

The outcome of this poll was a foregone conclusion .. is it not a case of 'I pay insurance, why shouldn't they' ... ask the same question on a caravan forum.. :winky:

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Agreed, and I'm sure the majority do .. but as pointed out, the insurance company will wash it's hands if the fire is caused by a portable heater.. fan, oil, gas or whatever.. something everyone should consider before using.

There are many others, who for whatever reason, see it as just another expense they can least afford. Not everyone has or can afford a £15k van.

The outcome of this poll was a foregone conclusion .. is it not a case of 'I pay insurance, why shouldn't they' ... ask the same question on a caravan forum.. :winky:

You are right, the outcome from a caravan formum is likely to be split... those that have new or relitively new vans and insure them, then the many many ( as in this case ) much older, non insured vans as their value is very low, and probably not cost effective.

I was more interested in members views and how they might feel if they were next to an on fire caravan that was not insured. So probably should have possed the question differently.:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I damaged a parked car when my trailer became detached (crappy trailer and a large pothole). The car insurance covered it even though it was detached.

When I had a trailer caravan I did insure it with 5Cs though.

SWMBO just reminded me of what happened to a friend of ours a few years back

he was towing his caravan down a steep road when it became detached. the breakaway cable failed to pull the brakes on, and a pot hole made the caravan swerve. the only way he could see to stop it and prevent an accident was to use his car as a barrier. so he bought the caravan to a stop by wedging the caravan between a wall and the side of his car.

the caravan was of course uninsured and the cars insurers would not pay out as the damage was caused deliberately by the driver.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

[HI]also whilst on about insurance it would be a good idea for cyclists to have insurance as i have seen a few of them cause accidents.
[/HI]
Cycle's don't cause accidents, they are under constant attack from inconsiderate motorists. :Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back