Getting solar panels fitted - advice please (1 Viewer)

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We're planning to get solar panels fitted next spring. It's beyond our DIY skills so we're looking for advice about the best place to get them done in terms of both quality and cost. Obviously I mean good quality work for as reasonable a price as possible. :Smile:
We live in Scotland but would travel if it was worth the diesel to do so.
We're thinking we need a minimum of 140w so that we can use the inverter occasionally.
Having spent 6 weeks in France we realised very quickly what an advantage solar power would have been to us.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
OK,the electrical side of fitting solar panels is no big deal-the bit I never fancied doing was running the cables through the van,so I went to our local Baileys caravan place-and have now built up a relationship with them so that they do all my servicing-habitation and mechanical.I'm sure that if you look around there will be someone local to you.
We have 160w and find that adequate.We use the inverter (150w) for charging things like phones and camera batteries whilst we are driving.

Mike.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I can also recommend Dave...

But dont be put off "semi DIY" you can obtain all the items you need via ebay etc and then find a local caravan centre or even an auto electrician that will charge for a few hours work for installation... Ask about... Lots of info available.
Recently seen some 80w panels for £80 !!! they are getting cheaper all the time..:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I can also recommend Dave...

But dont be put off "semi DIY" you can obtain all the items you need via ebay etc and then find a local caravan centre or even an auto electrician that will charge for a few hours work for installation... Ask about... Lots of info available.
Recently seen some 80w panels for £80 !!! they are getting cheaper all the time..:thumb:

What he said. It's such an easy job surely you can find a fitter if you supply the panels. It's basically: glue down a couple of panels, route the 2 or 4 wires through the roof ( usually into a cupboard ), screw these to a controller, route 2 wires to the battery. Rocket science it is not.

Someone on here posted an excellent guide you could show a garage or electrician.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for the advice. We'll ask around locally in the first instance. Our local caravan service place is asking nearly £700 for one 80w panel fitted. We thought that was quite expensive. Getting the kit ourselves and paying someone to fit it sounds more economical.
Thanks all.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
. Getting the kit ourselves and paying someone to fit it sounds more economical.
Thanks all.

whoever you get make sure they understand the importance of using the correct gauge of cable.. this is vital, not for the current carrying capacity but for keeping voltage loss to a minimum .. don't skimp on cable size.. that's a fool's economy ..

this calculator makes it easy .. book mark for future reference http://www.solar-wind.co.uk/cable-sizing-DC-cables.html

For example

an 80watt panel with a 6mt cable run would require 4mm.sq, increase the cable run to 8mt and you require 6mm.sq

a 140watt setup, same cable run lengths , requires 10mm.sq and 16mm.sq respectively

from these examples you can see how important it is to keep cable run lengths to an absolute minimum and sizing correctly .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back