January Skiing in Val Thorens (1 Viewer)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Shell and I, along with our 8 yr old Niece and 11 yr old Nephew will be in resort from Sunday 6th January until Friday 18th January.
The Aire is located on the edge of town, has wicked views across the valley, and has a heated service point. Use of the service point is by the use of free tokens from the car park reception.
Access to the slopes is a 100 yard walk and from that point, a 20-second ski gets you on the first lift to access all others.

The resort of Val Thorens is the highest in Europe at 2300m. The season here is very long and the resort guarantees snow all season. This is an ideal destination for powder-lovers and powder submariners like me! You can access the huge 3 Valleys area easily via the lift network with the correct skipass.
The town itself has a lively nightlife, a full range of shops and a very useful leisure centre where you can relax in a whirlpool errr, pool to loosen those aches and pains. Top Tip! Using the leisure showers is also useful for saving water and condensation by not showering in your van!

I must stress this is an informal meet and we ain't taking money or making bacon butties!

What we will do, is post the following links for booking your parking and resort info!
We do invite you to ask away if you have any further questions about what to expect when you get there!:thumb:

www.valthoparc.com

http://www.valthorens.com/winter-en/home-page.1.html

So, any fellow Funsters who are coming along during these dates, post away, identify yourselves and we can judge whether we need to don shades and false moustaches to disassociate ourselves from your inevitable bad behaviour!:roflmto:

Last edited:

Sheriff

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 3, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 yrs
Well said Jon... A shame there are two or three groups this year but needs must...

Val Thorens is a great place to start out skiing as you don't need a ski pass until you feel confident for the higher slopes ..plenty to ease you into skiing for a week without a pass not like other ski resorts ...

There is a code for Dfds ferry at mo which works out at £48 return which is a good price

The parking is at Valparc2 which has CCTV and a barrier about 100 yards or so from the slopes

So hoping for plenty of snow snow snow xx

Kath on jJohns iPad

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ok Attendees so far-

!. Jon and Shell

2. Champers, John and Kath (from the !4th)

3. Monsi (from the 14th)

4. CLS (from the 14th)

5. Ash (possibly from the 14th!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
We wont be organising a meet at Val T in February-

We may be taking some others but certainly not a meet.

Depending who is left to come we may have other plans- :Smile:

We may be going to the milky way.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Roger that Paul, no organised meet in Feb!:thumb:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We wont be organising a meet at Val T in February-

We may be taking some others but certainly not a meet.

Depending who is left to come we may have other plans- :Smile:

We may be going to the milky way.

Wishing that we could still be altogether which was a blast the last two years, if only some dates were available as you know the DFDS special code is a great saving ...£48 return

May you have plenty of snow to soften you fall xx

Kath

petensal

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2012
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since Sept 2009
We have no definate dates or plans at the moment just general ideas. Will certainly visit for a few days sometime early to mid January, be good to meet up with some of you.

Does it get busy that time of year and do we need to pre book ?

Have Fun

Pete and Sally

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We have no definate dates or plans at the moment just general ideas. Will certainly visit for a few days sometime early to mid January, be good to meet up with some of you.

Does it get busy that time of year and do we need to pre book ?

Have Fun

Pete and Sally

I would say pre-book for ValParc2 definitely .. it can get busy here especially if the snow is good x

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Not having a fix date yet but I will be turning up in my wagon for a few days Look forward to meeting the skiing funsters

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Planned to head out after x,mas but could not resist the excellent nec deal for crossing earliest date to go for this discount is 8 /1 so now booked up to cross early 9/1 overnighting at Calais 8/1 if anyone crossing around same time/period do look out for me as I will be travelling single . 48 pound cheapest I ever paid can't be bad !

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Is the drive for the faint hearted, we planed to do a trip to France next year easter time but the wife sort of fancies the snow even though she wouldn't ski

Whats the drive like ?
Where abouts is the aire ?

Excuse the silly questions from a virgin motor homer lol

/

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Is the drive for the faint hearted, we planed to do a trip to France next year easter time but the wife sort of fancies the snow even though she wouldn't ski

Whats the drive like ?
Where abouts is the aire ?

/
It is a fair way to drive easier if you break the journey in 2 days, or one day toll all the way, even easier with 2 drivers.

Aire right near village, and lifts

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Haganap and family have gone for several years, but Mrs Haganap - Nikki does not ski but does enjoy the beautiful scenery and chances to do her own thing , as have other members, but most folk do ski

When the weather is good there is nothing to it, but if it is snowing it could be a little bit trickier and you must use the snow chains and take more care

Kath c

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
We have an Autoquest front wheel drive so could be fun,

Solar panels needed ?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Is there electric at the park,

There is electric but not in the sense that you may think. it's quick charge from a bourne not constant.

If I was honest, if your van is the one in your profile I would be very cautious about visiting Val T. Val T is very high and can get very cold (-27 this year)I'm not sure your eldis would cope. If you want to visit the alps in that particular van I could reccomend some great sites that are pretty and have electric. In January they are also very reasonable because you are out of school holidays.

Skiing in the van can be a wonderful experience but. You need to be sure on your perpetration in order you don't come to regret it and hate it.

www.motorhomeski.com is a useful resource in kitting out you van,

We will be going in February as there are longer days more snow (ive seen the long range forecast :)) oh and its because I've got kids in school so have to utilise half term gggrrrr

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Is there electric at the park,

Hi

I fully agree with Haggers on this one.

The resort is high and very cold. You need to be able to rely on on your vans on-board systems. We owned an 06 Elddis Autocirrus. We wouldn't have dreamed of taking it to the places we take our Chausson.
Your front wheel drive won't be a problem because the roads are well maintained in the winter months. If the road became snow-covered, the fitting, and carrying of, chains is mandatory.
However, your water tanks are underslung and they WILL freeze, as will the long runs of drain pipe which run on the underside of the floor.
I do know that not all Autoquests have the blown-air option on the heater, the air circulation is essential to prevent condensation and ice forming INSIDE the van. Also, consider your gas capacity, you will really need at least 2x 13kg bottles.
You won't be able to rely on solar either, the hours of daylight are short and, if you have the blown air running, you leisure battery takes a hammering.:Sad:

I feel bad to sound so negative. I would say if you were to drain down your water system before arriving and rely on a water carrier inside for your water requirements, you might be able to do it. You could do your ablutions at the leisure centre in town. The trouble is, if you haven't the means to keep your heating going 24/7, you will be cold, wet and miserable with damp clothes.:cry:

For a first time, in your present van, I would follow Hagger's advice and find yourself a site at lower altitude with EHU and site facilities.:thumb:

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ok Attendees so far-

1. Jon and Shell + kids (from the 6th to 18th)

2. Champers, John and Kath (from the 14th)

3. Monsi (from the 14th)

4. CLS (from the 14th)

5. Ash (possibly from the 14th!)

6. Petensal, Pete and Sally (+ kids? At some point)

7. 1948 (for a couple of days, at some point)

Last edited:

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Thankyou for the up dates being fairly new to all this its very useful information. Perhaps we will look at the other Alps sites for a visit at some point. :thumb:

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Val Thorens Webcam

Whahey!!!! It's snowing!!!!!:coolthumb:

Haggers is going to get to try out his insulation after all!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Aldi Ski Gear Due In!

Always good value for you, and your growing kids!:thumb:

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
another DFDS offer

not as cheap as NEC offer
if you have not booked to come to this meet, new offer £38 dover/dunkirk/calais each way travelling between 1st dec to 31Jan , book before 12th dec. amend bookings free of charge
offer code ECXMAS good deal

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
Travelling from Soll

We shall be in Soll until 6th Jan then we could head down there and join you probably about the 8th. Couple of questions

Is there a place to fill our gaslow tanks?
Will probably have to come down through Switzerland we are over 3.5t what do we need for Swiss tolls?
Can you pay for carpark on arrival or is it advisable to prebook

Thanks Richard & Mo

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Will probably have to come down through Switzerland we are over 3.5t what do we need for Swiss tolls?

Thanks Richard & Mo

We came through Switzerland in August and we are 4500. You need to pull over at the border and go to the main office to buy a vignette for 3500+. You then have any 10 days worth of travel in switzerland for that year, they do not have to be consecutive so you can use it on the return journey if you want.
There are 10 boxes on the form and you must fill in a box everyday that you are in switzerland i.e. when you are in switzerland, first thing in the morning you fill in the date. If you get stopped by the police and you produce your form but it does not have that days date filled in then it's a hefty fine.
You can pay in swiss francs, euros or by card - I think it was about £27.

There is no place in Val Thorens to fill gaslow but there is a garage at the bottom of the mountain road before you start to climb.

We booked but there were still spaces avaliable - quite a few actually - and we went in school holidays.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We shall be in Soll until 6th Jan then we could head down there and join you probably about the 8th. Couple of questions

Is there a place to fill our gaslow tanks?
Can you pay for carpark on arrival or is it advisable to prebook

Thanks Richard & Mo

Hi

A quick google on my smart phone comfirms that GPL is available in Albertville. I will have a look again after work to see if there is a station in Moutier.

I would definitely book your parking, but be aware you'll be joining the 'adavance party' during the first week! Most of Motorhome Fun's biggest party animals will arrive during week two, then stay on into week three! Its to do with all of them being too tight to pay full price for a ferry, I believe!!::bigsmile:

I have no idea about Swiss vignette rates for larger vans, hopefully someone will be along soon with an answer for you one that one.

It might be worth starting a new thread for a sensible answer.:thumb:

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
Meet

Thanks all

Will work our way over from Soll. we shall fill with gas before we leave Just wondered about Gas when we are there.
We leave for Disney via Hull on Sunday we shall try to get to Dacau after then on to Soll. Look forward to seeing everyone hope you all have a Happy Christmas and New year.

Richard & Mo

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Hi

A quick google on my smart phone comfirms that GPL is available in Albertville. I will have a look again after work to see if there is a station in Moutier.

I would definitely book your parking, but be aware you'll be joining the 'adavance party' during the first week! Most of Motorhome Fun's biggest party animals will arrive during week two, then stay on into week three! Its to do with all of them being too tight to pay full price for a ferry, I believe!!::bigsmile:

I have no idea about Swiss vignette rates for larger vans, hopefully someone will be along soon with an answer for you one that one.

It might be worth starting a new thread for a sensible answer.:thumb:

Oi youprice was the same for what ever date we chose :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
When we had to refill up last season there is a place on the main route to V/T that has GPL
perhaps Paul or Mark who also used it may remember where it was ...approx 20miles cant recall whether that was one way or return only recall going down that hair raising lane Haggers sat nav that he lent us took us ...

:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back