Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Our Culinare Magican has let us down badly this trip-I doubt if it has been called upon to open more than a dozen cans in it's life with us and now it's failed !!::bigsmile:

What the best opener you have ever bought? Praps we should try a 'cheapo' from Auchan when we get to Boulogne in a couple of days time.

Mike.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Been there! I have tried expensive ones and cheap ones--they all break
They do not like dishwashers--rusts them out

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We have the same problem must have tried every one ever made and they're all crap. Just use cheapo knife type ones know in fact I picked up a spare in a street market last week in Barcelona 1euro. Stil never found one to open a FB pie tin yet without mangling it

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in france ,spain you can get what are very similar to army can openers . i have a couple of larger versions . like a big butterfly and a rightangled sharp beak type blade . works every time .but always carry an army tin opener in my wallet .
http://www.militarykit.com/products/camping/army_style_can_openers.htm
the one in the van or at home is just bigger so easier to use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I bought a Brabantia one about 20 years ago when I went to university - it's still in use in my 'van even though the cutting wheel is a bit worn - still does the trick. It'll cut around the top of the can on the inside or outside.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I wonder if a modern Brabantia will be as good ::bigsmile:

Probably not...they might have realised that nobody was buying new ones because the old ones were still working, and went for built-in obsolescence instead :Smile:

Mine looks very similar to Link Removed, apart from the holes in the handles.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We got one similar to this in a French supermarket (Auchan, Champion or one of those), it only cost a few euros and works perfectly, as a bonus unlike a normal type of opener where you have to use one hand to clamp the handles together and the other to twist, the twisting motion clamps it on, leaving you one hand free to hold the can.

Link Removed

Link Removed

:thumb:

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
After the same stream of ineffective and quick to break openers I ordered a Brabantia one of eBay and it opens cans so easily and so far it has not broken :Smile:

OP
OP
MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Today we walked into Montreuil sur Mer and,after an excellent lunch purchases were made at the market and at a small iron mongers-tests will be carried out and results posted ::bigsmile:

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_2371 [1024x768].jpg
    IMG_2371 [1024x768].jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 20

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The BB one looks exactly like one I bought from Aldi last year for a couple of quid :thumb: as of now it has been good and trouble free unlike lots of others that have only lasted a few cans ::bigsmile:
terry

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
in france ,spain you can get what are very similar to army can openers . i have a couple of larger versions . like a big butterfly and a rightangled sharp beak type blade . works every time .but always carry an army tin opener in my wallet .
http://www.militarykit.com/products/camping/army_style_can_openers.htm
the one in the van or at home is just bigger so easier to use.

My dad used to bring expired rat packs home in the 80's They always included a can opener like this. I had quite a collection of them. I still keep a couple of these in my tool kit for emergencies. Can't beat them for reliability but not the best for regular use...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi grommet .i use a slightly different style with big butterfly ears to help them open cans more easy . similar style .getr them in france spain for pence . but the army one is for emergency use or they make a screw driver if needed .
cant find a pic of mine .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Your both a pair of softies ::bigsmile: I used to use a 24 ins saw to cut bread,a stanly knife or 2 ins chisel to open cans and a putty knife to spread butter :thumb: all out of tool box ::bigsmile:
terry

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Namby pamby Mothers boys the lot of yer!:Blush:

Only way to go, Yep :Doh: you've guessed it:winky:

ANGLE GRINDER!

Toughen up Funsters:Cool: