Reluctant husband (1 Viewer)

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Am I wrong to keep going on about getting a Motorhome? I tried to avoid talking about it today to give him a break but by lunchtime I was showing him this site and trying to prove we could afford it. He is not that enthusiastic.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Oh dear oh dear, poor Snailtrailer, Lissen darling:winky: 'es a Tugger, you got'a pander to his whims, JUST a little::bigsmile:

Then just before you drag him kicking and screaming, to view a few M/Hs , slip 'im a Blue , one of them "special!" Blue "rhomboid" Smartees!!!

He 'll have such a ??? once he sees 'em Well!!! He'll fink all 'is xmases 'as COME at once:RollEyes:

Failing that Darling? Buy your own :thumb: and don't let him in till he's given it an overall polish!:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you really want him to buy a motorhome.....the last thing on earth you should be doing is showing him this site :Doh:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Xan

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new
I was the same, but my missus got her wish. I thought (and still do) they're a money pit and if you worked out how much each trip actually cost you could travel wider and stay plusher.

Now we've got ours I think it's great. We are making a point of using it, and enjoying it.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
It took a lot of persuading on my part to get Ralph to swap from a caravan to a motorhome.
Just like it did to swap from a tent to a caravan beforehand.
On both occasions he says its the best thing he's ever done.:winky:
Wishes hed done it years ago. ::bigsmile:
But we would both go back to a caravan again if we had to. In fact id rather have a good caravan than some motorhomes ive seen.
Welcome to the site BTW.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Believe it or not I too was against the idea when Shirl first suggested we buy one.

now I live and breath motorhoming.....now if only I could convince my boss I deserve far more time off than I get :RollEyes:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Am I wrong to keep going on about getting a Motorhome? I tried to avoid talking about it today to give him a break but by lunchtime I was showing him this site and trying to prove we could afford it. He is not that enthusiastic.

You can take a horse to water........

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My brother asked me why we bought one.

I explained we like weekends away and instead of paying £120 a night in a hotel we would only be paying £15-20 a night.

He paused and then pointed out that it would take an awful lot of £120 a night hotels to cover what we had just paid on the motorhome.

He was right of course:Doh:::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

You don't say what his objections are.. Is it just money or perhaps something else ?

Married for 49 years .. congratulations .. so I'm guessing you're both in your seventies .. or there abouts ?

Maybe he just doesn't feel up to driving a large vehicle .. or any vehicle at all for that matter.. we all slow down, the older I get the less I feel like driving long distances, so maybe he just doesn't want to admit that.. male ego and all that ..

My advice is to discuss it and take his views into consideration to reach a consensus . Buying a motorhome isn't a step to be taken lightly nor one to coerce him into taking .. it would be a costly mistake to have it sit on the drive and go nowhere..

If funds permit, perhaps hire one for a few days or even a week.. after that you will both know whether it is for you .. or not..

Good luck whatever to decide..

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As you now see Snailtrailer, there is at least one sensible funster. Thank heavens Shifty is out of the country :Eeek:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well the initial outlay, yes. Loadamoney.

However - Tunnel with Tesco vouchers so that cost less than £20 cash the last time we invested with them and that trip I kept meticulous records of every cent we spent including meals out, but not food prepared in the van, because we have to buy food anyway at home so that wasn't an 'extra'. We went on 12th Aug and came back 12th Sept. Converted back to GBP using exactly what it said on the bank statement and using 1.23€ to the £1 for the rest, rounded up to the next £100, it came to £1,000.

Now a lot of the time, we spend weeks on end in France and never set foot in a camp site. That last one included 8 days/nights where we were on campsites.

We also went to a couple of places where we had to pay to get in - the Grotte des Demoiselles (caves) and somewhere else - oh yes the Cite Soutteraine - and also used toll roads when we just decided to get from A to B quickly, so not only does that cost the toll charge, it may use more diesel cos although you ain't in traffic and changing gear, we certainly don't hang around when we are doing that!

I reckon that's jolly good value for money, meself.

And if we hadn't bought the M/H, I expect Pete would have found summat else with wheels and an engine he couldn't live without, or found another expensive hobby he hasn't tried yet - judging by past record, he never plumps for eg fabricating the Palace of Westminster out of used matchsticks ! :ROFLMAO:

And at least I get included in this one ! :thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
This trip will be 6 weeks by the time we get home next Thurs and we have been to Belgium,Luxembourg,Germany (Mosel/Rhine) and are now in northern France.
We've stayed on a mixture of aires,Stellplatz (usually having to pay around €7 a night) and campsites.We've shopped a lot at Lidl which seems really cheap.
It's looking as if we'll end up spending about €1500 in total,including a major shop in Auchan Boulogne next Wed before we leave.
Being retired,we are both on a fixed income and we can't help noticing that our current account balances go up, rather than down,whilst we are away-there are no household running expenses which are always horrendous when we are at home !
I can't think of any way we could visit all the places we do other than by Motor Home. When we both worked we spent a lot of time touring France by car,staying in hotels and Chambres D'hote-it was very expensive and we always HAD to come back for work!!
I had a 'driving issue' a about 3 yrs ago,mainly because I was not driving enough! I began to have panic attacks on M/ways and really didn't want to drive any more-M/Homing soon cured me of that :)

Mike.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi you say you had a caravan---well tell him that the difference between a M/H and caravan is you can be packed up and on your way within 2 mins IE move kettle into cupboard,stow odds and ends, turn fridge over and unplug/drive away ::bigsmile: If you do not go too big then you can use it just like a large towing car to visit places,and you have the advantage that you have everything with you -cooker loo beds etc, so can make use of all without having to go back to caravan :winky: Remember that layout is everything so choose wisely :thumb:
terry

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Hi you say you had a caravan---well tell him that the difference between a M/H and caravan is you can be packed up and on your way within 2 mins IE move kettle into cupboard,stow odds and ends, turn fridge over and unplug/drive away ::bigsmile: If you do not go too big then you can use it just like a large towing car to visit places,and you have the advantage that you have everything with you -cooker loo beds etc, so can make use of all without having to go back to caravan :winky: Remember that layout is everything so choose wisely :thumb:
terry

AND.... On the journey, it is so easy to stop in a layby and stick the kettle on.

We dont have a Motorhome. We have a 'dog kennel on wheels'. They have loads of room and comfort when travelling instead of being confined to the boot of a car.

The choice between a Motorhome or staying with a Caravan is purely personal.

Each has it's own benefits, they are just 2 different ways of enjoying a little freedom.

Whichever way you go, will be right for you both.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As above........

Cheap holiday - nope
Money pit - yep, but buy smartly and the depreciation isn't over painful
Flexible - yes, unless you have a monster van
Fun - worth every penny. I use it for sailing meetings towing the dinghy and pity the poor souls who have to drive miles to the B&B or pitch a tent in the dinghy park, whilst we are toasty warm, we go away and meet mostly really nice like minded people. Next step up is the winter meet at Waldegraves, only a short distance but looking forward to meeting with other Funsters

It is a lifestyle thing - we could have had a fair number of luxury holidays for the money (luckily we do that as well) but have never, ever regretted buying one.

Some of our friends from down the road retired, changed their VW Trooper for a small Hymer A class and spend half their lives relatively cheaply touring everywhere - looking at it that way, it is a relatively cheap way for seeing Europe/UK, after the capital cost has been conveniently ignored.........

P.S. allegedly I clean M/H roofs by painting them - thus the signature below....... :winky: the offbeat (being polite here) humour is a huge attraction of this site - you always know when someone is being serious, but frequently things are very tongue in cheek - it takes a little adjustment but some of the threads are hugely funny

Last edited:
OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Thank you for your responses. I have taken notice of all your comments/advice.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
why not rent one for the weekend, come at join us at the Essex Mersea Island meet and then hopefully he will have such a good time that he will want to buy one straight away

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi snailtrailer

If you are just in love with the 'idea' (nothing wrong with that in itself and many people are) rather than thinking of the 'practicality' of it in the real world, then give yourself a good 'slap' to get you back to reality!!!

So, before you do anything think EXACTLY about how you would use a motorhome, make notes of the pros and cons compared to a caravan, then see if the cons outweigh the pros ... ideally by a large margin.

A motorhome is ideally meant to 'roam' around stopping for short periods of time (ie a few days) in one place, rather than remaining 'static' on a site for long periods of time like a caravan, so are quite a different thing to live with.

Perhaps if you sit down and do a full 'appraisal' process including the costs etc you will have your answer and if it is still what you want to do, then hubby may be more amenable as he can see you've 'done the maths'.
:thumb:

The Geologist

Free Member
Oct 21, 2012
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
New
The boss knows best!

I was reluctant when the boss first mentioned it - it is after all a LOT of £00t!!

However over time I came round - I have owned tents since I was about 14 but I find the ground is a long way down these days! So I slowly worked my way round to the bosses idea.

The crunch came when we decided yet again it was time to go through some airport and the queues, messing about - having to hold my trousers up with one hand, whilst my other held my shoes - I joke not, having my bag opened and searched in case I had something in there I should not. As for the boss well she has a bad back and cannot stand for long and the messing about that causes. So Mr Airport I doubt now if you will see us / me again.

The serious search was now on. We saw lots of MH's some we liked many we didn't, slowly we ironed out what we wanted and crucially what we didn't. We visited a private seller who was willing to do a deal with MH plus a trailer and a smart car. He was happy until we mentioned the word "Inspection of the vehicle," He responded saying that we would not be able to insure it unless we bought it, couldn't move it even on trade plates and literally came out with a load of stuff they feed into incinerators, (You can insure any vehicle in short term insurance fully comprehensive so long as you tell the insurer who the owner is and who will be driving it). So he lost the sale.

We visited a dealer we had been to before and there she was, gleaming white looking seductive - the boss was hooked, a deal struck and if the boss is happy then so am I after all she is the most important person in my life.

Now we can come and go to places near and far go abroad without the hassle of the airport, carry what we want and enjoy our holiday mini or maxi breaks.

So yes it is a lot of £00t but then so is a house and you can't take the house on holiday!

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I hope you are going to drive it if you get one, especially if he is reluctant. As it would be a shame to have it sat there doing nothing, so why not once you have checked them out look for one in a layout you think is right hire one with said layout to try it properly got to be worth laying out a few hundered for the hire to find out rather than a few thousand and wanting to sell it 6 months down the line

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
@ the geologist our first motorhome cost £7k our second cost about the same. It was a four birth as you can see in our avatar. It wasnt the most luxurious but it did what we wanted it to at the time.

You dont have to spend a fortune and the money you save more than makes up for it xxx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back