Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
uk
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol 2004
Exp
Hi,
Have just got back from a 20 mile trip in the rain and parked up...engine off, all ok. I then decided to move the van forward a bit and stuck the key in, turned it and sparks flew down from under the bonnet. I tried it again and now the engine won't turn, just a clicking noise. Has anybody got any ideas what could have happened or caused this?
Peugeot Boxer 2.0 Deisal Autosleeper Symbol 2004, 23,000 miles.

HELP PLEASE!

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
either your starter has shorted or your battery has expired have you opened the bonnet to see if anything looks obvious?????

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Probably popped the fusible link. Batteries are quite tight on these, and it won't take much for a loose connection to arc across.

Check that the battery is not 'swollen' or otherwise damaged. Then check terminals and ancillaries are all tight and have no arced out.

Next, check starter motor to see if connections are intact and tight.

There will be a loose lead or wire somewhere. Have a look at the fuse board too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Is your engine battery under the bonnet?

If so I would check the terminal connections are tight.

I suspect a starter motor problem.

Can you switch off everything, put vehicle in 1st gear (handbrake off) and see if you can "rock" the van a little (a couple of inches) to free off the starter cog which might have got stuck in the flywheel teeth. If you can turn the engine over a little way and especially if you hear a slight "clunk" of the starter motor thingy freeing off... try the engine again. (out of gear of course.)

Others will know more.

JJ :Cool:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Is your engine battery under the bonnet?

If so I would check the terminal connections are tight.

I suspect a starter motor problem.

Can you switch off everything, put vehicle in 1st gear (handbrake off) and see if you can "rock" the van a little (a couple of inches) to free off the starter cog which might have got stuck in the flywheel teeth. If you can turn the engine over a little way and especially if you hear a slight "clunk" of the starter motor thingy freeing off... try the engine again. (out of gear of course.)

Others will know more.

JJ :Cool:

Sorry JJ, but...

NO NO NO NO!!!!!

Investigate or get investigated the spark source before doing ANYTHING else, especially putting the key in. As it appears at present to be started related, FIRST task pronto needs to be disconnecting the battery, earth (negative, typically black) first.

Then follow earlier checks.

One word, FIRE...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just sounds like a battery terminal might have come loose to me.. as Nigel intimated :Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just sounds like a battery terminal might have come loose to me.. as Nigel intimated :Smile:

I second that hypothasii I second that hypithas I second
Shit me thinks ya right:thumb:
Geo
Not only loose but severely burnt:Eeek:
Sorry I meant starter conection

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
sorry jj, but...

no no no no!!!!!

investigate or get investigated the spark source before doing anything else, especially putting the key in. As it appears at present to be started related, first task pronto needs to be disconnecting the battery, earth (negative, typically black) first.

then follow earlier checks.

one word, fire...

please do nothing untill you have disconnected the battery, make it safe then look for the problem, 99% of electrical fualts are mechanical problems, i would do as others have said but make it safe first.

OP
OP
T

troikafloyd

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
uk
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol 2004
Exp
:thumb:Thanks everyone for the advice / replies, I managed to start engine only after 'rocking' the van in first gear and spraying the earth strap connections with wd40. After turning off I again then tried to start it but again sparks and 'nothing'.
Do I presume it's the earth strap?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Do I presume it's the earth strap?

Don't assume anything, get someone to carefully look where the sparks are coming from.

BUT sparks and WD40 do no mix, it's VERY inflammable. I once sprayed it on an arcing plug cap. Never again. It was like a flame thrower. Got away with it though.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I love wd40
I should think, over the years, it has earned me thousands...

people think it repels water.. well yes, but only for a short while then it attracts and absorbs it.. If you want to use WD-40 for anything other than cleaning jobs ( from work tops to hands .. ) you MUST refresh it every couple of weeks or so else it will do more harm than good..

If you wasnt to use something to stop corrosion use ACF-50 or similar.
It is not cheap but does actually do what most folk think WD does, andddd.. it is not highly flammable as Brian rightly points out

I would suggest you:

Open the bonnet and physically wiggle all and any big thick wires you see especially around the battery area

Do not go made, but give each a firm tug

Leave the bonnet open and get someone to try to start it while you watch to see exactly where the sparks are coming from

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
[HI]
I second that hypothasii [HI]
I second that hypithas I second
Shit me thinks ya right
[/HI][/HI]:thumb:
Geo
Not only loose but severely burnt:Eeek:
Sorry I meant starter conection

hear hear hic,I,ll have a drop of what you,re drinking :ROFLMAO:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[HI][HI]I love wd40[/HI][/HI]
I should think, over the years, it has earned me thousands...

people think it repels water.. well yes, but only for a short while then it attracts and absorbs it.. If you want to use WD-40 for anything other than cleaning jobs ( from work tops to hands .. ) you MUST refresh it every couple of weeks or so else it will do more harm than good..

If you wasnt to use something to stop corrosion use ACF-50 or similar.
It is not cheap but does actually do what most folk think WD does, andddd.. it is not highly flammable as Brian rightly points out

I have to agree John, if my workshop manager finds WD40 in our workshop he goes spare...:thumb: Griff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back