change petrol engine to diesel (1 Viewer)

Jun 4, 2012
Holbeach st Johns (Spalding)
Funster No
MH
C class Kon-Tiki 645
Exp
9 years. 30 years as a tugger
has any body changed a petrol engine to a diesel one.
this is for a peugeot talbot 1991would a 2.5 tdi fit ok. answers please. regards ray

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its not quite as simple as you think. First the gearing will most likely be wrong, so you will have to change the gearbox as well. Secondly a diesel engine wont run from a petrol engine fuel tank as there is no return or swirl pot in it. There are also electrical issues that need sorting ie heater plugs. It can be done, but its not for the faint hearted.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
On a 1991 van its not worth the cost frankly, unless you know what you are doing and then its debatable.

You also have the insurance problem of modification.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
As a DIY project yes its doable with all the right parts, if your hoping to just swop the engine you had better go back to the drawing board
Paying a Garage to do the conversion would not be cost effective even prohibitive, assuming you found a Garage to take it on

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It would be less hassle to convert it to LPG, you will get similar economy especially when you consider diesel is 10p more a litre!

You can pick up a hom conversion kit for less than a diesel engine would cost you. four cylinder conversion ready done at a converters wouldn't cost more than say, £600ish.

Cheaper, less hassle and you get a little off your car tax.....and you don't have to worry about emissions zones (once you change the log book)!

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
has any body changed a petrol engine to a diesel one.
this is for a peugeot talbot 1991would a 2.5 tdi fit ok. answers please. regards ray
If you've blown up your petrol engine and have a spare diesel one then yes, it's worth it if you can do the work yourself. If you are thinking of doing it to save fuel then go lpg. All the engines fitted to Talbots are really old tech and the diesel won't save you much over the 2l petrol.
.... Secondly a diesel engine wont run from a petrol engine fuel tank as there is no return or swirl pot in it.....
Oddly, the Talbot uses the same tank petrol or diesel (IIRC) and there is a return on the petrol.
:Eeek: <---- that's the nearest I can find to a geek smiley.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
swapped a petrol engine for a diesel ? yes but you got to have a plan if you,re seriously considering it.i have done it way back put a 1500 bmc disel including g- box into a cortina :Smile: problems were first engine mountings had to be made up, bulkhead modified for the starter/ alternator , propshaft shortened and balanced, exhaust was quite good , had a chrome plated sidewinder across the front bumper:Smile: ,i was in the garage trade at the time and had a friendly metal fabricator obviously different models to what you envisage but you will get similar problems,if youth is on your side go for it :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
swapped a petrol engine for a diesel ? yes but you got to have a plan if you,re seriously considering it.i have done it way back put a 1500 bmc disel including g- box into a cortina :Smile: problems were first engine mountings had to be made up, bulkhead modified for the starter/ alternator , propshaft shortened and balanced, exhaust was quite good , had a chrome plated sidewinder across the front bumper:Smile: ,i was in the garage trade at the time and had a friendly metal fabricator obviously different models to what you envisage but you will get similar problems,if youth is on your side go for it :thumb:
That takes me back a bit. Long before diesel cars became popular in the UK I did some very wierd conversions. The first was a Perkins P6 into an Oldsmobile 88, then a 3 litre BMC into a Humber Hawk. The last one was a Mitsubishi 2.8 turbo into a Volvo 144 estate. Then I found diesels were becoming available here in the UK built by the manufacturer. I still thought mine were better even though I never needed 1st and 2nd gear :Doh:.

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
I had a 2l petrol engine on a '91 kontiki...I thought that the diesel would be better. Apparently the petrol engine was better than the 2.5 non tubo diesel.

Shirl

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I think tommy cooper did it once

he was asked how, he said

"just like that"

oh dear Im of to bed:sorry2::imoutahere:

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie

Why on earth did you put a 1500 BMC diesel engine in a Cortina?
The BMC is only 30 bhp , needs bloody ages on the glow plugs, which are a bugger to extract, they smoke like a wood stove, I know because we have one in our narrowboat and it is not that great in there either :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
Why on earth did you put a 1500 BMC diesel engine in a Cortina?
The BMC is only 30 bhp , needs bloody ages on the glow plugs, which are a bugger to extract, they smoke like a wood stove, I know because we have one in our narrowboat and it is not that great in there either :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Because we could:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:and diesel was cheaper,sounded like a tractor,engine it was from a van then ended being marinised in a boat,as you know its a very popular marinisation engine,before the 1622 and 1800 versions.Happy Days:Smile:

OP
OP
raypat100
Jun 4, 2012
Funster No
MH
C class Kon-Tiki 645
Exp
engine change

On a 1991 van its not worth the cost frankly, unless you know what you are doing and then its debatable.

You also have the insurance problem of modification.

Peter
Hi Peter Thanks very much for the info on the change from petrol to diesel, Could you please advise on fitting LPG. to the same model cost etc. Many thanks Ray Scott

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I can see a grown man doing a lot of weeping......

not sure if the van is front or rear wheel drive but the following are possible scenario's and very likely.

engine wont physically match gearbox....so either an adaptor plate needed or change both engine and box

existing drive shafts or prop shaft wont match new gearbox....replacement shafts needed.

prop shaft not a real problem but replacement front shafts wont match existing front hubs....replacement hubs needed (if they fit the existing suspension arms)

gear selector mechanism different to existing.

rear wheel drive....rear diff ratio not compatible with replacement box

clutch actuation may be different. (hydraulic/cable)

just a few of the mechanical problems you may encounter.

OP
OP
raypat100
Jun 4, 2012
Funster No
MH
C class Kon-Tiki 645
Exp
engine change

Hi pappajohn
thanks for the info. I now realise that changing from petrol to diesel is not an option. Thanks to all the info from all the funsters. I am thinking down the road to LPG thanks again Guys. regards Ray Scott.:Doh:

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
Hi pappajohn
thanks for the info. I now realise that changing from petrol to diesel is not an option. Thanks to all the info from all the funsters. I am thinking down the road to LPG thanks again Guys. regards Ray Scott.:Doh:
Good luck in whatever you decide is best,another thing was going to be the noise!! diesels aren,t the most silent engines.The 2.5 di is a good engine thou.....???

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi pappajohn
go for a sequential system.

starts on petrol, runs on petrol until warm then automatically switch's to LPG.

more expensive option, but easier starting and far kinder to inlet valves...LPG doesnt contain any lubricants.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Pesonaly on a old 91 van I would not bother with either changing to D or gas unless you intend to keep it a lot of yrs you will be wasting your money :Eeek:GAS CONVERSION WILL COST AROUND £600/800 (thats a lot of petrol ) and the D swap could well be a proper head ache -- I swaped a 3 ltr tranny petrol to D yrs ago and that was stright forward useing exhisting gearbox and fuel tank :winky: no idea if it is a stright swap on a Fait etc though
terry

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back