I'm finished with Rock and Roll (1 Viewer)

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We had air suspension fitted to our Rapido at the Lincoln Show and WhAT a difference it has made. The Merc Sprinter chassis is so softly sprung at the rear that it would rock wickedly from side to side over even quite innocuous bumps. Going round a mini roundabout required the passenger to hold on for dear life to avoid being flung from his seat.
Well no more! The airbags have made an amazing difference - one of our better investments.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I had them on my FFB, but none on the Merc 410 chassis. Have got a price to have the rear springs re tensioned and an extra leaf put in for £125 both sides, which is much much cheaper than the price quoted for air suspension. Its going in on Monday to my mechanic who will take the springs off and Jones Springs need them 24 hrs for the work. Hope this will stiffen her up a bit.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Fitted Air suspension to mine earlier this year and it transformed the handling.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
And people say the Fiat is too hard on the back but the merc is too soft

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We had air suspension fitted to our Rapido at the Lincoln Show and WhAT a difference it has made. The Merc Sprinter chassis is so softly sprung at the rear that it would rock wickedly from side to side over even quite innocuous bumps. Going round a mini roundabout required the passenger to hold on for dear life to avoid being flung from his seat.
Well no more! The airbags have made an amazing difference - one of our better investments.

Which did you go for/ fitted by ??

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I had them on my FFB, but none on the Merc 410 chassis. Have got a price to have the rear springs re tensioned and an extra leaf put in for £125 both sides, which is much much cheaper than the price quoted for air suspension. Its going in on Monday to my mechanic who will take the springs off and Jones Springs need them 24 hrs for the work. Hope this will stiffen her up a bit.

The usual rule is if you increase spring tension you must also increase damping too, it's a proportional thing.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The usual rule is if you increase spring tension you must also increase damping too, it's a proportional thing.
Am only bringing the springs back up to there original spec. The motorhome is now 22 years old and its a heavy body, so re tensioning is the answer. I have fitted an extra fuel tank on the opposite side to the water tank, so the extra leaf is to compensate for this and allow me to travel with full water tank.
Have spoken to Jones springs of Darlaston who are well known and respected in the field of suspension and they have advised me this is the way to go in my situation.
There is I believe only one air suspension kit in the UK at the moment suitable for this vehicle and the cost would be most prohibitive for the full kit, complete with gauges and pump. New shocs were fitted last year.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Don't mean to be argumentative but you did mention an extra leaf in each spring on top of re-tensioning. That changes the rate of springing and shock absorbers have only one purpose, to control the spring rate.
It was always match damping to spring rate, never worked to any other formula.

Used to use Jones Springs a fair bit way back, a good company too, so am not going to argue against their advice.

What was your view on air suspension on your FFB, did it work as you hoped?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, The air suspension on the FFB was factory fitted from new and was very good indeed.
the problem with fitting air on my Merc is its now an old chassis and the units are no longer made for it. There are a few new/old stock units but they are not only like hens teeth they are well over priced. Will speak to Jones today and ask about your concerns as I want to get it right first time.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We had AS Air suspension fit out our Hymer, We tow a heavy trailer and it made a big difference to the handling. When not towing we sit a little high at the rear so only have just enough air in to protect the bags.

No matter how heavy the nose weight of the trailer, the raised suspension makes the trailer look empty. :thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
When reviving springs, they are reheated and cooled under tension. This allows the metal 'crystals' to tighten back up from being stretched. Only down side is, that each time this is done is slightly alters the elemental make up of the metal, and thus changes it's character.

This means that to reinstate the spring to it's original condition would be fine with just heating, but to maintain that strength and load carrying to original for a period of time, would need an extra 'fresh' spring to ensure it maintained shape better.

OP
OP
makems

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Our air bags were supplied and fiitted by Airride at Lincoln show Price was £520 which was a show "special" ( so he said). I asked him he had a good show - "Crap. He said. "Never gonna do it again ". It's the simple system with valves and pressure gauge in the ffotwell. None of these fancy compressors and dials on the dashboard.

OP
OP
makems

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Thank God for that!!!!!!! I thought you meant no more AC/DC or Deep Purple, phew
bigGrin.gif
bigGrin.gif
bigGrin.gif

• Those that know me well know that a Les Paul guitar and a loud amplifier will ever be far from my hands.

Paramotormanal

Free Member
Aug 29, 2012
Kingston upon Hull
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Spot on "Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution" I fly my Paragliders with it booming in my ears lol. ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back