Ezetow have gone bust! (1 Viewer)

rarin2go

Free Member
Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
EZETOW HAVE GONE BUST!

Having major ongoing problems with our Ezetow trailer I spoke to Dave Wilkins again today and he said that the company is now in liquidation.

We are currently marooned in France in Haute Normandie with our Ezetow having lost a wheel unit for the second time.

Picked up the Ezetow in May this year and towed it empty back up to Scotland where it has sat over the summer unused. Last week we loaded up the Ezetow and headed south. On Tuesday 9th October whilst on the way to Daventry to get the satellite system serviced, one of the wheels caught on the lightbar and jammed resulting in a groove being gouged into the tyre. Luckily we were flagged down by a passerby before the tyre punctured completely. As Ezetow were only 40 mins away we called in to get a new wheel and for them to adjust the suspension to stop it happening again. It was thought that we must have hit a speed bump or something like it.

We crossed through the tunnel that night and overnighted at Calais seafront before continuing our way south on the A28. We were just south of Abbeville when one wheel sheared off completely. As the trailer was unusable we had to be recovered from the motorway (€175 paid by insurance company). Phoned Ezetow and they sent out the parts to the garage who fitted them (€118 paid by us). The Ezetow was ready for collection on Saturday afternoon.

We headed south again, making for the aire at Mailleraye sur Seine when 50 miles down the road, luckily on the outskirts of a town, a wheel came off the trailer (broke at the weld this time), bounced across both carriageways and embedded itself in a field of corn. Thank goodness it didn’t hit any other vehicles.

Of course being a Saturday no one was available at Ezetow premises but I did manage to get hold of Cliff who works there via a mobile no. I had on an old printout of their website. Cliff told me he would get in touch with Dave and get back to me. Meanwhile we had pushed and pulled the trailer the 500 metres to the Gendarmerie Nationale in town and asked if we could leave it in their yard until Monday when we assumed it would be picked up. We left the bike there as well.

This morning we finally got a phone call from Dave who said he would need to have the trailer back at their premises to test it and to give him all the details of where it was so he could have it picked up. He said we should get hold of an ordinary motorbike trailer and continue on our trip (we’re off to Morocco)!

When we said that if he was having the trailer uplifted he could send out the demonstrator model which we could use in it’s place he said he’d have to look into it and call us back.

Just over an hour later he called back to say that Ezetow was going into liquidation, that all the equipment was being sold off and even his van had gone and he couldn’t help us! All in an hour!!!!!!!

To say I was stunned would be an understatement. My husband asked him if he could provide us with the spare parts before they closed down and he said he would send them out.

I suppose it’s something but I have a problem

• I have spent £1200 on the trailer
• I have spent €118 on repairs so far
• I have no way of moving the trailer from the police compound
• Even if we move the trailer we have no workshop facilities
• My sister lives 600km south of here (home for me is about 1500km north of here)
• To hire a van to transport the bike and the trailer to my sister’s (her partner is mechanically minded, as is mine but he has lost all confidence in the Ezetow and believes there must be some underlying problem) would cost €250 plus petrol and involve 3x 600km driving, i.e. down with van full, up with van empty and down with motorhome
• To hire a van one way would cost €550 + petrol
• To buy a flat bed trailer to transport Ezetow and bike would cost €800 +petrol – could sell new trailer afterwards I suppose
• No guarantee that repair to Ezetow would work as don’t know what underlying problem is
• Could chuck Ezetow in skip and buy normal motorbike trailer

What should I do? I am seriously tearing my hair out here.
Thanks

Elspeth:cry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
personally i would cut my losses, find a scrap metal dealer (they must have them in France too) and at least get something back then look locally for a cheap bike trailer.

bringing it back here wont do any good as parts wont be available now.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Really feel for you, hope something works out, :Sad: why do these things happen, taken friends to the airport in Manchester this after noon for a hard deserved break in Italy, they phoned a hour ago to say they had flown as far as Paris, and were now sitting on the tarmac at Gatwick, due to a medical emergency, no telling when Murphy will strike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hire/buy a trailer i,m sure you could get it fixed in morocco. certainly in bannana village just north of agadir . or innesgane . south of agadir . one thing they can do is fix things .

but there is a company in france that builds similar trailers . see loads of them during the winter . dont know where but lots have them in france. cant be too difficult to fix .

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
HI thoughts are with you, but first i would find a garage or welding company in that area, and have the trailer welded up and made safe for your journey, keep note on ALL out of pocket exspences and start making enquires who the liquidation company or bank who will be looking after there affairs, make a report and on your return to the uk go and see them direct,hope this is some help to your situation,Alf,

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
HI Again, another thought for you,make contact with your insurance company and see what they have to say, as iam aware whilst the trailer is being towed it comes under the mh insurance, good luck!, Alf.

thearchitect

Free Member
Sep 20, 2012
North London
Funster No
MH
Getting closer.
Exp
Short stint 1972-6 none since
The first thing to do is stay calm. The important thing is that you are okay. The van and all its bits are just possessions which can be replaced, you can't.

I assume you are insured, contact them and make them earn their keep.

You say your sister is kinda close? Give her a ring, she will be sympathetic and want to help. Get somewhere you can have a good nights sleep and reassess in the morning.

Good luck and keep in contact. I'm new here but I'm sure there are loads of people who can offer much better advice than me and give support.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i would get a local welder fabricator to repair and reinforce the trailer. just repairing it will not do as its likely to fail again.

you are not the first to have an ezetow break when towing....probably why they went bust

as for cost, unless it causes an accident including injury I doubt it would be worth pursuing in court. mind you they should have product liability insurance to claim off if you can show it was substandard

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
buy normal motorbike trailer

What should I do? I am seriously tearing my hair out here.
Thanks

Elspeth:cry:[/quote]

Hi Elspeth..chin up......I am saddened to hear all the problems you are having......here are two names in France to look out for on the internet for trailers that may be similar to the one you have....Bi Jockey..and remorques roues pivotantes.. Broken Link Removed
Link Removed

http://www.campingcar-bricoloisirs.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=26112

I do not know of any that may be close to you.

And they are very expensive over here in France....

If it was me and I could not get it repaired..try a local garage the old fashioned type........
Then I would go for something simple and cheap that will last you...I presume you are putting a motorbike on the back...but I am not sure how big the motorbike weighs.....
But here is a link for a cheap galvanized trailer for a moto (motorbike / scooter ) trailer that will be sold all over France...

at 399 euros (£330)

Link Removed

Link Removed
This is a motor spares company that are all over France..( a bit like Halfords). Feu Vert

Here they have one at 429 euros...(£350) galvanized.
with this type of trailer you should gets spares all over......ERDE ...is a big well know company in France...
If you can not get it repaired, then I would cut my losses as you say they have gone bust..
Sorry I can not be of any more help to you,. as we are 180km north of you...in the Pas de Calais region..

Mel

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
That's a bargain for the Erde, I reckon Mel.

Look

Link Removed

And I only looked it up for nosiness as I couldn't see what weight moto it would take!

That one would be fine for either of our beasties.

Edit - I've just looked at the Norauto one LOL - even better (tempted to say could get the rider on there an all for that!)

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
That's a bargain for the Erde, I reckon Mel.

Look

Link Removed

And I only looked it up for nosiness as I couldn't see what weight moto it would take!

That one would be fine for either of our beasties.

Edit - I've just looked at the Norauto one LOL - even better (tempted to say could get the rider on there an all for that!)

Sedge... as you know a lot of things are NOT cheap in France....But Hey that's France...
So I am surprised to see the moto trailer cheaper over here...also over here they are in Euros and the one you put the link to was in £ sterling..at a exchange rate of 1.20 that makes it around 542 euros....I see what you mean...about a 100 euros more expensive.

I think the moto trailer is maybe the best solution...that's just my opinion...Mel

Sedge.......Here is one for the two moto's.....

Still cheaper than the uk link....499 euros......£415 sterling...but for two moto's

Mel

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Remorque idéale pour le transport d'une moto. Vous pouvez trouver toutes les options disponibles pour votre remorque ci-dessus (roue jockey, roue de secours, rail de montée, sangles...).

La remorque NORAUTO est en acier galvanisé ce qui permet d’augmenter sa durée de vie et de préserver sa qualité esthétique dans le temps. Toutes nos remorques NORAUTO sont fabriquées en France et subissent les tests et essais les plus sévères garantissant le contrôle du système de production ainsi que la fiabilité, la qualité et la sécurité pour l’utilisateur. Elles sont également équipées de systèmes réfléchissants (catadioptres) et de deux protections latérales pare-cycliste.
Poids total autorisé en charge PTAC 350 Kg
Charge de l’essieu 350 kg
Charge utile CU 270 kg
Poids à vide PV 80 kg
Dimensions utiles du plateau (Longeur x Profondeur) 200 cm x 100 cm
Dimensions hors tout (Longueur x Hauteur x Profondeur) 290 cm x 77 cm x 147 cm
Longueur du rail 2,00 m x 0,24 m
Taille de roue 500x10
Livrée montée Oui
Nécéssite une carte grise spécifique Non
Timon (flèche) Droit
Roue jockey incluse Non
Roue de secours incluse Non
Pensez-y

Descriptif

CONSEIL

Avis
- Quel permis pour quelle remorque ? Cliquez-ici
- Faut-il une assurance spéciale pour tracter une remorque ? Cliquez-ici
- Une carte grise pour ma remorque ? Cliquez-ici
- Quelle vitesse pour ma remorque ? Cliquez-ici
- Le système de freinage est-il obligatoire sur ma remorque ? Cliquez-ici
- Quelles précautions prendre avant de partir avec une remorque ? Cliquez-ici
- Le lexique de la remorque. Cliquez-ici
Pensez-y

Descriptif

Conseil

AVIS
Résumé des évaluations
4 sur 5

Rapport qualité/prix :

100 %des clients recommandent ce produit
Filtres avancés
Notation
Rapport qualité/prix
Cliquez sur les filtres ci-dessus pour affiner vos résultats
Donner votre avis

4 sur 5
bonne remorque à compléter10 juin 2012
Par loickz
Rapport qualité/prix :

remorque de bonne qualité, un petit bémol sur la prise electrique, fragile.
pas de câble de retenue.
mise en position verticale aisée, feux protégés, et flêche démontable, juste faire attention au câblage lors de cette opération, car risque de coupure de ce dernier.
à rajouter en plus à la remorque, une roue de secours 60 euros, une rampe d'accès 26,60 euros, une roue jocket (23 euros# + 4 sangles à cliquets 20 euros,
et une plaque d'immatriculation 14 euros.#si on veut une remorque prête à l'emploi#
j'ai transporté une 750 de 230 kgs sur 500 kms et pas de soucis.
dernier détail, il n'existe pas d'antivol de roue pour ce modèle.#ecrous de 10)
mais les roues sont d'un bon diamètre 5.00 x 10 à 4 trous.
je regrette pas mon achat! la commande internet mets 4 semaines, pour avoir la remorque.
donc prévoyez ce délais pour une commande sur le web!
J'ai aimé : protection des feux arrière, roues de bon diamètre, rangement vertical
Je n'ai pas aimé : prise electrique remorque fragile.
Recommanderiez-vous ce produit à un ami ? Oui
Partager cet avis :
Cet avis vous a-t-il été utile ?Oui12Non0
Signaler un abus
4 sur 5
tres bon achat17 mai 2012
Par tof
Rapport qualité/prix :

remorque de bonne conception, bon comportement sur route , seul bémol, elle bascule pour le chargement, mais la rampe est trop courte, ce qui represente une bonne marche pour monter la moto, sinon pour le prix rien a dire
J'ai aimé : bonne tenue de route
Je n'ai pas aimé : rampe trop courte, peut etre avoir une petite marche en option
Partager cet avis :
Cet avis vous a-t-il été utile ?Oui6Non3
Signaler un abus
4 sur 5
Une remorque conforme à mes attentes29 mars 2012
Par chadernolle
Rapport qualité/prix :

J'utilise cette remorque pour transporter un SpeedMaster de 250 kg (la CU de la remorque est de 270 kg). L'été dernier, je suis parti en vacances à 500 km de chez moi et je n'ai rencontré aucun problème.

http://www.dushopping.fr/comparateur-

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi
sorry to hear about your troubles Elspeth

I tend to agree with 'scrap it' and buy a cheap trailer .. cut your losses and put it down to experience ..

On a personal note..

We were on the '07 trip to Morocco with you and Ian, and last saw you at Honfluer aire in '08. Hope the rest of your trip goes well..

Jim , Jan & Chaz :Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rarin2go

Free Member
Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
On a personal note..

We were on the '07 trip to Morocco with you and Ian, and last saw you at Honfluer aire in '08. Hope the rest of your trip goes well..

Jim , Jan & Chaz :Smile:

Jim
We remember you all well. I have many memories of you and your family on the trip to Morocco, not least you making bacon sandwiches and making me jealous because I hadn't thought to bring any bacon with me, or the fact you had a washing machine in your trailer! But we will never forget Charlottes dazzling smile lighting up each day.

Thanks to everyone for they helpful suggestions, especially HEYUPLUV with all the trailer info and links. We are off to Norauto this morning to have a look at the trailers.

For anyone who is interested I attach photos (hopefully) of the two breaks.

Attachments

• Ezetow 1st break.jpg
    Ezetow 1st break.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Ezetow 2nd break.jpg
    Ezetow 2nd break.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 128

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hopefully I will have learnt by my mistake.

There's an old saying "experience is the best teacher, but the lessons are very expensive".

Like papajohn says, get a tried and tested solution for a fraction of your disaster and get drunk. Well he didn't say get drunk, that's an extra from me.

On the other hand I saw a solid "proper job" reversible motorbike trailer on a French MH this year if you still want that option.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
sorry to hear your bad news

I am sorry to hear your bad news.

I have seen these items about and never paid much attention to them as I use a trailer (for my disabled scooter).... but following looking at the failure shown on your post I looked at the makers site.

What came to mind as soon as I saw it was the front caster wheels on my wheelchair.. the whipping around of them on changing direction.

For a vast number of years use of a wheelchair I can say the strain on the wheels and mounts are extreme and do fail often even on a wheelchair... when I saw how hard the kick round was when the car pulled away.. I would not be surprised at failures in the system as there are major forces being pushed against the the wheels and frame if the wheels are not running in line with the tow vehicle.

I hate to say it, but I agree you might be better just cutting your loss and getting a normal trailer of some sorts to continue your trip.

Will watch with interest how you progress with the issues.

Good luck

Bob

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Jim
We remember you all well. I have many memories of you and your family on the trip to Morocco, not least you making bacon sandwiches and making me jealous because I hadn't thought to bring any bacon with me, or the fact you had a washing machine in your trailer! But we will never forget Charlottes dazzling smile lighting up each day.

Thanks to everyone for they helpful suggestions, especially HEYUPLUV with all the trailer info and links. We are off to Norauto this morning to have a look at the trailers.

For anyone who is interested I attach photos (hopefully) of the two breaks.

Well I have just looked at your Photo's..on photo 2 the underside of the trailer.Mmmmm.. that welding does Not look good at all...
That weld does not look like it has been done by any professional...the word shoddy springs to mind
One of my Jobs in my early life.... was Inspection for a large company..electrical / mechanical....a lot of the items I tested was... weld, flame proof surfaces, machining etc,....mainly on very large electrical items going underground, so safety was paramount ,anything that could cause a risk explosion underground :Eeek:

Now what I have said about cutting your losses and buy a small motorbike trailer..now I am 100% ..I would think you will always have trouble with that trailer.....

Leave your trailer somewhere safe....and pick it up on your return Journey....
Have the weld checked out at a professional fabrication company and pursue the matter further in court if you want....:Doh:.
I think you will be fighting a loosing battle, good luck with the new trailer if you buy one,
Ask them for a list for all there stockists in France,:thumb:

Safe journey....have a good holiday....I hope all your days are sunny days from now on.

Mel
:thumb:

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. i spec the trouble with indespension units would be that they dont rotate on their mounting .
these on the ezetow work like super market trolley wheels .
i would ring the french company that makes similar . have seen their products in spain and portugal and a few on the rough tracks in morocco . they did seem to cope .
bet they would help you out . what better publicity could they have than op. doing a nice article for all the m,home mags in uk . go on try it .
definately the french ones looked heavier gauge but thats only from memory .
i thought them fantastic bits of kit .

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
looks like a cheap copy of a light aircraft front wheel assembly to me.

needless to say that is where the cost in the easytow is.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You are not that far into france, so an international courier/towing may be able to pick up with another trailer and return it home. This may cost a bit, but no more that buying another trailer.

You could look at buying a used flat bed trailer - that way you can drag the whole lot on your holidays, bring home with you and sell the trailer when you get home.
Link Removed

Not sure how far from you, but an option - there are plenty of flat beds around too - don't forget you can sell it when you get back, so will get most of your money back!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
your first pic.....

someone can do a neat circular weld...unfortunately not to both bits of metal at the same time...shoddy/inexperienced workmanship.

second pic...

manufacturing defect in the swivel stub axle or over-stressed in use...probably the later, speed bumps/potholes etc.
there is no suspension so the tyre and stub will take the brunt of any sudden shock.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
looking at the failure point, your not going to stop this happening again and again

claim against their product liability insurance and replace it with something properly designed

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
No you have to register your claim with the Company and they decide if they wish to invoke their Product Liability insurer. You cannot claim under their policy, you are not The Insured.

Same as if you have a car accident, it's your fault completely and you are insured, but don't want to claim on your insurance. Nobody can make you (I think but not 100% sure there is an exception to this if you were insured but there is injury to a third party) but anyway - for damage you can settle out of your own pocket at your own option. (However, you are still supposed to declare the incident to your insurer anyway 'for information only' ! )

Perhaps one of the legal eagles can advise Elspeth as to how to go about registering a product liability claim to a company in liquidation - the liquidator's insurance for the company only applies from the date they became responsible and so you'll need to know the exact date that happened. It's whoever's policy was actually in force at the time of the failure and it may be that the failure is back-dated to the original failure, not the second one. Because the second one was caused by a bad repair, whereas the original one was a fault in the manufacture and that's what a Product Liability policy covers ......

Anyway, first thing is to ring the liquidator, usually an accountancy firm and if it isn't 'theirs' they will soon refer you to the right place. If it is 'theirs' then you set out your prob in writing, send it them and they pass it usually to their insurance brokers and the wheels are in motion. Liquidators most certainly do NOT settle failed companies' claims out of their own pockets, and the cost of insurance is one of the reasons their costs for their service are so high, often leaving nowt in the pot for the creditors .....

Always assuming of course that the company had the insurance cover in the first place ......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back