May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
that is the question :ROFLMAO:

we live right next to a wood and get tons (only a slight exaggeration) of leaves all over the house and driveway. So, would you cover it up? Was thinking about protec but quite dear eh!

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
that is the question :ROFLMAO:

we live right next to a wood and get tons (only a slight exaggeration) of leaves all over the house and driveway. So, would you cover it up? Was thinking about protec but quite dear eh!

Hi Jazzbow,

If you do decide on a MH cover, try Neil at the Caravan Shop, Gt Western Rd Glasgow, he stocks the Maypole range and will be a good price, good on mail order too,

Maypole are a very good quality, as good as any ........ how do I know... I just retired from handling their sales in Scotland after 40 yrs, so believe me I know !!!!!!,

Ken (Beerdrinker) :thumb: :drink:

Upvote 0

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
HI, Like you we live in a forest area, and at this time of year it not only looks great with all the great colors, but get all the leaves all over our property, i read an article not so long ago that its good to leave the leaves where they are as when rotting down they turn into a good composte,we only clear leaves from the rain gutters these day's,have it good Alf:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jazzbow

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
Hi Jazzbow,

If you do decide on a MH cover, try Neil at the Caravan Shop, Gt Western Rd Glasgow, he stocks the Maypole range and will be a good price, good on mail order too,

Maypole are a very good quality, as good as any ........ how do I know... I just retired from handling their sales in Scotland after 40 yrs, so believe me I know !!!!!!,

Surely you've got a few spare ones in the back of the shed? We're probably just round the corner from you so could pick it up! :ROFLMAO::winky:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Jazzbow,

Surely you've got a few spare ones in the back of the shed? We're probably just round the corner from you so could pick it up! :ROFLMAO::winky:

If you saw inside my shed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,

Plenty of junk in there but, unfortunately no MH covers, but you are welcome to come around on the first nice day and help me sort the mess out ! he he

Which forest are you in, any where near Loch Lomond ?

Ken :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jazzbow

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
Which forest are you in, any where near Loch Lomond

Our house is adjacent to Balloch Park ,we've got a view of the loch when the trees have lost their leaves (in my garden). I'll send hubby round to help with your shed as soon as he's done ours ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
For my new van I am getting one that just covers the roof - Fiamma I think is the make.

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As Roger says, but on the other hand, it saves a whole lot of work cleaning the roof when you take it off !! :thumb:

I personally will not use one as we tend to use the van all year, but number one son bought a cover at the end of last year and was VERY pleased with the results.. Yes, it takes ten minutes or so of awkward mucking around to get the cover on ( he has a biggish Compass ) but as said, when he removed it he did not have to spend a day cleaning the ol' girl before hitting the road....

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
A lightweight breathable cover would be suitable. They are similar to a strong, perforated felt type material which although not waterproof - it does stop the debris landing on/sticky to the vehicle.

I had one on my spitfire outside for a couple of years, and did it's job very well. I think it was a Maypole brand

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I couldnt even lift mine onto the roof....used it a couple of times then stuck it in the garage.

thinking of butchering it to fit the front section of the RV as i have no choice but park partly under a very large douglas fir.

pine needles aint a problem, its the tree sap dripping down come spring.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jazzbow

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
Yeah, I had read that covers could cause damage but surely bits of tree will too. Dunno what to do, it's a dilemma :Doh:

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Topcovers v Full covers

A lightweight breathable cover would be suitable. They are similar to a strong, perforated felt type material which although not waterproof - it does stop the debris landing on/sticky to the vehicle.

I had one on my spitfire outside for a couple of years, and did it's job very well. I think it was a Maypole brand

It probably was a Maypole cover, and you described the material build perfectly !, they are Britains biggest supplier of car, caravan and motorhome covers, as i have said in my previous post, I handled the sales of these in Scotland for a long time,

Everyone has their own opinions for and against, the new top covers make it a damn sight easier to fit and protect the roof which, of course is the most vulnerable part to sap, moss, etc, but as pointed out by fellow posters, a full cover provides tatal protection and its nice to start off the season by just removing the cover, wow no black streaks, baked on crap on the roof etc, etc,

I intend using my MH all winter again, and don't suffer too much from moss, sap etc, just a few black streaks, ( which Maypole Black Streak Remover here we go again, shifts in no time he he ! ) but lots of funsters do lay up for the winter months, saving the Tax and Insurance, everyone has their own agenda, whats good for one is not exactly what others want,

Finally, after selling hundreds of covers over the years, I have never had a single complaint of Maypole covers creating any problems re chafing or any other similar problem, in fact the only " complaint " I ever had was a guy trying it on, " the seam split whilst I was trying to fit it " was the complaint, because I was prepared to visit the guy and check the "problem" out, I found that he had ordered the wrong size and couldn't be ars**d returning it for the correct size, had tried forcing it on, yeah faulty right!,

Ken ( Beerdrinker ) :thumb: :drink:

Upvote 0

jeanik

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
roof top covers

Could anyone please advise on top covers - adviseability and make. I've read previous comments about the pros and cons but would like something easy to put on and off. I've seen one by Fiamma but it looks like an ordinary tarpaulin.

Upvote 1

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

That must have been a funny shape, must have been expensive if it was one-off from Maypole? :roflmto:

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
from my mind it is not the leaves that are the problem but the green algie that seems to grow on roofs that are near trees, major job every year is to clean the green off the roof and top edges of the van. Ours is parked in storage so i wouldnt cover it just incase it came off as i wouldnt know untill i did my weekly/fortnightly check.
If i stored at home and could check the cover daily i would probably cover the roof area to stave off the green stuff

Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Just thinking of your post, it would be massive cover to to cover the house and driveway :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Pete

I did try a MH cover once but sold it on eBay after a while

Upvote 0

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The trouble with leaves is that if left for a long time they leach out tannin and leave unsightly brown marks.

It used to be de rigeur to apply a layer of car wax and leave it of without polishing it off. This gave a good protective layer and made cleaning off after the winter lay-up much easier.

Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I've always used Fenwicks Overwintering Fluid, excellent stuff, stops all the grime and stuff from sticking to the vehicle ,basicly just wash your van and then spray (garden sprayer) or sponge on a liberal coating it more or less leaves an invisible coating of wax on the vehicle and creates a barrier, advantages are you can still use the van, dosn't effect the solar's etc no cover to mess about with. Even using a cover the van is supposed to be spotless before fitting. the coating is simply removed just by washing with fenwicks motorhome/caravan cleaner.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back