Camper van convoy to raise money for fund (1 Viewer)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Around 30 camper vans decorated in pink ribbons are travelling in convoy from Cross Hands to Aberystwyth later to raise money for the April Jones Fund.

Police are continuing to search for the five-year-old girl who was last seen in a street near her home in Machynlleth, Powys, on 1 October.

Mark Bridger, 46, has been charged with murder and child abduction.

The convoy will collect donations through towns and villages and should arrive in Aberystwyth at 14:30 BST.

The group intends to release between 50 and 100 balloons in honour of April when it reaches the town's promenade car park.

Jason Young, from Llandeilo, organised the event and told the South Wales Evening Post: "There is a group of us who want to raise funds for the cause and we also want to raise awareness of April.

"It is very close to home and this is something that people can do to help.

"It is a cause close to my heart," he added.

"I have a 10-year-old and an 18-year-old and I don't know what I'd do if something happened to them."

Local businesses have donated balloons and ribbon to the convoy.

Meanwhile Dyfed-Police Police say a search of the area around April's home town continues at the "same level of intensity" as last week.

Officers confirmed that the search of the small market town was almost complete, and teams would now examine parts of the surrounding countryside.

A Dyfed-Powys Police spokesperson said: "Over the weekend the search for April Jones continues with teams carefully examining many different areas.

"The area in and around Machynlleth is large and we are continuing to put a huge level of resource into the search.

"As time passes and we work through the detailed plan, we will of course conclude our searches in particular areas.

"Whilst we have almost completed the searches in the town centre area, outside this small vicinity there is still a lot to do.

"The search continues at the same level of intensity that we have seen all last week."

Mark Bridger, 46, from Machynlleth, appeared in court on Wednesday accused of abducting and murdering April, and of unlawfully disposing of and concealing her body with intent to pervert the course of justice.

He is due to reappear in court on 11 January.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-19940622

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks for that post Shiftzz....

I was disappointed recently when my car was the only one around the town that sported a pink ribbon in support of April when the family asked us to. Sometimes just a small gesture to show support can mean a lot and bring people together...

It is heartbreaking when something like this happens isn't it... being so close to your home too must make it worse somehow.:Sad:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Pardon my asking, but what are the monies being collected going to be used for? I was in the area last week at Tywyn - you could feel the atmosphere just driving through Mac. Such a tragedy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kinsleyboy

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
Collection money

I was just going to ask the same question ...

it's not usual to raise money without saying how or what it will be used for..
From what I have heard on the media
some of the money raised has been used to feed the searchers and the rest will be used by the Town Council for causes in consultation with April's parents.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back