Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
hi has anybody used the rosetta stone system for learning a language? seems alot of money but the pair of us do not want to be the ignorant english when in france. like when trying to buy local produce etc. cheers ivory55

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
hi has anybody used the rosetta stone system for learning a language? seems alot of money but the pair of us do not want to be the ignorant english when in france. like when trying to buy local produce etc. cheers ivory55

There are a lot of mixed reviews about it. You can get cheap copies of Rosetta stone on eBay but I'm not sure if they allow change of ownership in their licence, so you'd want an un-opened/unregistered copy to be sure. The BBC Link Removed resource is supposed to be good and its free:thumb:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Jim's right!

My wife is doing the BBC Spanish course, she says it's great (me? I just SHOUT) :Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I use the Michel Thomas method. Brilliant....

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
good morning, afternoon, evening. Thanks and how much, just about all the French I have and manage with hee hee.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Wildman, surely you meant....

bonjour, midi, soir. Merci et combien, à peu près tous les Français que j'ai et gérer avec hee hee.

He he, Google translate eh? ::bigsmile:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Wildman, surely you meant....

bonjour, midi, soir. Merci et combien, à peu près tous les Français que j'ai et gérer avec hee hee.

He he, Google translate eh? ::bigsmile:

HAAAAAAAAAA. Au secours pas Google!!!!! Pitié :whatthe::whatthe:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
HAAAAAAAAAA. Au secours pas Google!!!!! Pitié :whatthe::whatthe:

Ah ha, Yodeli, I have not been here long but somehow I just knew it would draw you out! :winky:

To be honest my French is so bad Google could have said anything and I would have been none the wiser :Blush:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Last winter we went to the local French Institute and did two courses of French. We had both done it in school many years ago but had forgotten a lot of it.
The courses were great - a mixture of conversation and grammar in a small group of adults. All the staff were French and from the moment we arrived it was like being in France - no-one spoke English unless you asked them to.
This summer in France we were much more confident speaking to people and asking for things.
Not so easy when they replied at speed :winky:
It made the whole trip so much more pleasant.
If you can get a conversational course I would say that is much better. You can't switch a real person off and rewind but you can learn to ask them to repeat things more slowly.
have fun!
:Smile:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
French

BBC Learn French works well enough

The only problems you get really are the replies are usually too fast
well for me anyway.

:Smile:::bigsmile:

There are a lot of mixed reviews about it. You can get cheap copies of Rosetta stone on eBay but I'm not sure if they allow change of ownership in their licence, so you'd want an un-opened/unregistered copy to be sure. The BBC Link Removed resource is supposed to be good and its free:thumb:

OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
hi thanks everyone we will look at others first as rosetta stone a lot of money. we need something as we prefer to go to the quiet places in france. cheers colyn and jill

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Get Rossetta Stone from Library, and renew every month, or try other french courses from there and take your pick::bigsmile:................Del

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Or howsabout staying on a campsite where they offer courses? Have thought of doing that a number of times, as my O Level vocabulary has all but deserted me!

However, I think I'd get annoyed if they were only teaching you to ask for un baguette etc.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I tried google translate in france some time ago,it did get some strange reactions:Eeek:

whatta

Free Member
Aug 21, 2010
Scotland, but on the move
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2001
Google Translate

Google Translate's great.... It's a real laugh.

An Italian friend who speaks little English and I with even less Italian do enjoy "chats" using Google Translate - we call it:

GIGGLE translate ::bigsmile:

Peter S

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I wonder what that famous Rapido owner uses whe he is on a campsite with his organic free range home brewed silver service coffee ?

Oi mate got a light :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp

However, I think I'd get annoyed if they were only teaching you to ask for un baguette etc.
Always ask for two:thumb:

un pain au chocolat
un croissant
:Blush:
une baguette :thumb::winky:::bigsmile:
une brioche

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sorry, I spikka da Espanglais, you don't ask for uno/a of owt in Spain, it's always un something. If they mishear, then you would say uno/a, to stress you only want one.

This is me prob, in France I can usually ask for it beautifully in Spanish and vice versa!

Anyone remember 'Let's Parler Franglais' ? Hilarious ......

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I usually struggle in my vaguely memorised schoolboy French but the French are often gracious in helping me out.
Once, when trying to purchase some honey at a farmers' market I was reduced to miming a bee complete with sound effects. Ah-ha! One old fella said, and from his battered, old citroen van produced a live, flapping trout!!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I can only think you buy short baguettes, OTOH the big ones don't fit in any of our lockers !

Although Carrefour sell fresh stunted ones by the two - approx 35/40cm apiece - and if it's early in the holiday we can easily eat them in one day! After the first week and a half, with sore mouths from the crusts, we're usually looking for a boule, tranchee SVP!

magsinfrance

Free Member
Jul 16, 2010
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Hobby
Exp
Since 1981
When DH and I moved to France 8 years ago, he had school French and I none. We bought Michel Thomas course (ebay, not full price)It helped us both loads, DH is now reasonably fluent and I am passable, in so much as the French think I am Belgium now not English (Not really a compliment as the French are not too keen on the Belge but actually most of them love the English)
It does help just jumping in and talking to French people, they love it.

Maggie

magsinfrance

Free Member
Jul 16, 2010
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Hobby
Exp
Since 1981
Just a thought if you can't find them at the Library (good idea that, I never thought of it lol) let me know and I will run you a copy off
Maggie

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the pair of us do not want to be the ignorant english when in france.

Don't be silly, they all understand English perfectly, but they are a bit slow and deaf so speak slowly and loudly.

I've wasted loads of cash on Spanish and Italian tapes. Some are appalling. Non seem to work on Olde Fartes. Buy the cheapest. Use the web, the beeb have free lessons.

But all will fail, you may be able to ask the question, sure as hell you'll never understand the reply.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
LOL - been there done that Brian!

Whilst on holiday with a friend we visted a local market together with another English lady holidaying in the property next door. We left my friend having an animated discussion with the stallholder. Me and Mrs next door wandered off and got an ince cream, my frien joined us and we'd nearly finished hers as well as our own. What did he say?

Oh he said he hadn't got any, whicch was a shame - he'd had it every week until last, but sold the last then. He said he still had it in blue or pink, but I explained I specifically only wanted it in yellow. So I asked him if he'd be getting any more? And he said he couldn't really be sure - but he'd be sure to look out for some when he goes to the warehouse on Friday, so I should try again next Tuesday - so I said I would.

Mrs next door (with slight awe) - Oooh that WAS a long conversation! Did he really say all that?

Friend - Don't ask me - I haven't a f***ing clue! :ROFLMAO:

So Pete and I now have THAT conversation following such incidents. One of us - What was all THAT about then? Other one - Said he'd have a look when he goes to the warehouse .....

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Don't be silly, they all understand English perfectly, but they are a bit slow and deaf so speak slowly and loudly.
I've wasted loads of cash on Spanish and Italian tapes. Some are appalling. Non seem to work on Olde Fartes. Buy the cheapest. Use the web, the beeb have free lessons.

But all will fail, you may be able to ask the question, sure as hell you'll never understand the reply.

OI

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We did 2 years of French classes at night before our first motorhome trip to France, at the time we were seriously thinking about moving there permanently, hence the course, however we subsequently decided it wasn't what we wanted to do, but we found the course extremely useful and did a further year.

Now we get a lot more our of our visits - we can converse with the locals, although it can still be 'fun' trying to understand what they say back when they speak quickly! The problem is that I have a knack for picking up the 'way' of speaking (if I go to Scotland on holiday for example I come back sounding like a native!) so sound as if I'm actually French!!! To avoid this I often purposely make mistakes (that's my excuse anyway :roflmto: ) so they know I'm not!!!

We also find that because we can read a lot of French, we enjoy visiting places more as we can take in more info about them as it's not always translated into English, or the English version is a lot shorter.

Must learn German though as hubby has informed me that he wants to go there for our 6 week trip next year! I really don't want to go without understanding more than the splattering of the language we have at present ... and as for Spanish ... I probably only know half a dozen words!

We have the Rosetta Stone for Spanish and German and I'll also use the BBC on-line stuff too as its quite good.:thumb:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I didn't pay much attention in French at school, and neither did my classmate. We used to quietly deface the textbooks instead. If they awarded 'O' Levels for re-touching textbook photos we'd have got Grade A. Later in life he ended up living there and I ended up holidaying there, so more fool us.

I'd suggest signing up for an evening class at your local 6th Form College. I did a year of French like that, one night a week, which topped up my limited school knowledge to the point where I feel quite pissed off about having to speak any English in France (apart from to my better half).

The other language that's huge fun to learn is Italian, especially if the tutor is a native. Any country that can call a grocer a Fruttivendolo gets my vote every time. The Italians love you for attempting their language, whereas I think the French just expect it, but maybe one shouldn't generalise.

Definitely do a one year course though - I once tried a 12 week Spanish course and had forgotten every word of it by the time we'd reached Barcelona.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back