Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
hi does anybody know about carrying passengers in your motor home with out a fitted seat belt. our son wants to join us for a free holiday next year thinking of a week in normandy. we only have 2 seat belts, sleeping is ok as he can use his tent. our van is 55 plate if that makes a difference. cheers ivory55

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
As i understand it, a motorhome not fitted with rear seat belts pre 2007 passengers may travel without belts. Also a passenger under 12 yrs of age is the responsibility of the driver so must be belted in. This is UK only and also police may not be satisfied that the passengers are seated safely.
No idea what the rules are in France...

I guess its a question of if you and the son are happy with the situation and what your insurance company will say if there is an unfortunate accident resulting in injuries to passengers.

OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
hi no seat belt does not worry me as only had 1 for the last year in my lorry. but take your point about insurance company. cheers ivory55

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
hi does anybody know about carrying passengers in your motor home with out a fitted seat belt. our son wants to join us for a free holiday next year thinking of a week in normandy. we only have 2 seat belts, sleeping is ok as he can use his tent. our van is 55 plate if that makes a difference. cheers ivory55

1. you need to check it out with your insurance company.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
There's an article in the magazine section about the use of seatbelts in motorhomes,here.Broken Link Removed

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

Belts are to reduce the chance of injury or death in the event of an accident, why go without?? He could always drive in his car?

OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
hi he left uni with big debts like all youngsters do now, so can not afford a car he used to have a bicycle till it was stolen in manchester where he lives and works. we was just trying think of a way to give him a holiday. yes seat belts are good but like i said i have only had a lorry with a belt fitted for the last yearand am walking around ok. cheers ivory55

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
T'ain't you though, is it? - it's everyone else!

You know, the thing in the back be it a crate or a person or a dog, becomes a trajectory.

Normally for cars at least, insurance will only cover however many occupants there are seat belts for.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
He may have left uni with big debts but he can do something about that.
However if he leaves your van through the windscreen he's buggered

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
To be fair though, in the 70s 80s only front seatbelts were fitted (if that) and nobody bothered about it then. Obviously its a risk and it's up to those concerned whether they want to take it or not.

rronyag

Free Member
Jun 28, 2011
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero
Exp
I'm a newbie
Child under 14yrs drivers responsibility,or so it was when I was a police traffic officer on the motorway not so long ago.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
to be fair to the O/P if you get on a bus you dont have a seatbelt, its up to him/his son if they want to take the risk, I think he was only asking re the law.

Inusrance wold be a thing to check, is it more than a two berth van? if so then it would be expected to carry more than two perosns

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I agree. Was just playing devils advocate.many people in this country pay for a seat on say a bus or train and end up standing.This goes on day to day regardless of what the law is,however when it does go wrong,and it can,
you can be sure that there will be a scapegoat.
Normally it's not the insurers or the boss that told u to do it it's the bloke who has nothing with everything to loose.You as the driver are responsible for your passengers,all it takes is some twat to pull out in front of you because he doesn't want to be held up.Dont think it doesn't happen it does!
I agree the risks are small but then I've never been a gambler.:Eeek::Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back