Getting ready for winter (1 Viewer)

combi

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Being a wimp I am putting the motorhome away for the winter.

Any tips or hints an getting it ready for its rest. I have drained down the water tanks pipework to the taps and left the taps open. Have emptied the waste tank and thetford tank and will be taking the seat cushions out.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

The storage location does not have an electricity supply so what should I do about the leisure batteries,I could remove them and use a smart charger to keep them topped up at home but I don't know what would happen as I have a solar panel fitted.

Thanks

cakeboy

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Being a wimp I am putting the motorhome away for the winter.

Any tips or hints an getting it ready for its rest. I have drained down the water tanks pipework to the taps and left the taps open. Have emptied the waste tank and thetford tank and will be taking the seat cushions out.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

The storage location does not have an electricity supply so what should I do about the leisure batteries,I could remove them and use a smart charger to keep them topped up at home but I don't know what would happen as I have a solar panel fitted.

Thanks

cakeboy
It's not winter yet Cakeboy

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Make sure the boiler is fully drained out, they normally have thier own drain points, just emptying the tanks and leaving the taps open won't always fully drain the boiler, normally in the past we would remove the batteries and as you say keep them charged via a smart charger, but if your van is stored outside and you have a solar panel I assume this would do the same, I would also give the van a good wash and give it a good coating of Fenwicks Overwintering Fluid, it just mixes with water and you can use a garden sprayer to make it easier, makes cleaning the van a lot easier for the new season

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Swiftroy1

Free Member
Jan 3, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
If you use the "search" facility there are approximately 20 pages of hints and tips on overwintering.
good luck.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Leave all the internal cupboard doors open, so the air can circulate and they don't go musty.

Might be worth putting a couple of trays of moisture-absorbing crystals inside too - on offer at Aldi at the moment I believe.

We also take our van out on day trips through the winter, so everything keeps ticking over. Try to go out in it at least once every three or four weeks. Don't need to put water in the tank, just take a big plastic container full with you.

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it's worth putting down a little mouse poison or traps.

believe me, if there are any around they will find a way in....nice and dry and always slightly warmer than outdoors.

as an indicator as to mouse presence, place a biscuit on the floor and check regularly that it aint been nibbled.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
If your MH has a separate toilet flush make sure that is empty has well, also I prop the mattress up for circulation, also what has been added before, your battery sjould be ok with the solar panel. Pete

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
oh yes it is

It's not winter yet Cakeboy

Oh yes it is.. you should see the frost here this morning (Tunbridge Wells).

I have my tube heaters on, my dehumidifier on timer, cupboards open and vented. main cushions all tilted to allow air flow... I am lucky it is on EHU and I can keep everything charged via the Sterling Combi inverter plus the battery master (take excess power from the habitation batteries to the engine battery).. have the window blinds all down ..roof vent blinds closed and the cab out side screen on to stop condensation... it is all wrapped up now until next spring.

For those not on EHU I would put salt in some bowls and fill the bowls 3/4 full and check them weekly and you will find the salt covered with water.. empty replace and dry the old salt out on the oven and re use. Run the engine up on a regular basis to make sure the main engine battery has plenty of life to start the engine... A 20 minute was tick over will put back what you take out on startup and boost it.. You may need good batteries to keep any alarm system up and working.

Bob

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Is it better to leave a full tank of fuel when winterizing? Just wondered about condensation in the tank.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Yes,when on site we fill all plant items every night be it dumpers or 360 machs to avoid condensation build up in tank.Bascally the more air that's in the tank the more scope there is for condensation to form.
Over a few months of heating and cooling a near empty tank would be more water than gas and at one point or another lead to more exspense

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you remove the leisure batteries and you have a solar panel make sure you disconnect the panel from the controller first (usually remove fuse) as otherwise a sunny day will cook the controller. However if you have solar then you shouldn't need to remove the batteries as even dull winter daylight will be enough to keep them topped up (beware of snow though if it hangs about there will be no charge)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back