Too much stuff ? (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Recent posts about heating made me think of my first MH bought in 1990, a 1978 coachbuilt (Newland I think) on a Toyota HiAce chassis cab - 1600cc petrol engine - that took us (self, wife and 3 young sons), very slowly, through France to Spain.

The van had a gas hob, fresh water tank and sink (foot pump) and that was it !

- no double glazing, toilet, shower, fridge, air con, heating, tv, satellite, internet, air suspension, sat nav, reversing camera, no EHU or even a leisure battery - stuff that my current MH has

- How did we manage? -

We did have a tent and a cool box but that was it - great trip by the way

Have we gone too far?

Do we really need all the stuff?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
This was one of my early motorhomes. A self build circa 1975 or maybe before. I welded a piece of motorway crash barrier on the back and hoisted a Honda 90 onto it and set off for the South of France. As you say, no heater, hot water, fridge or even loo. Had such a good time I forgot to come home for a long time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• kays favourites 003.jpg
    kays favourites 003.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 55

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well - it's all kind of comparative isn't it?

I mean when we were young we'd happily sleep on someone's floor after a party, or indeed in a Mini. Plus, odd things like we didn't have to get up thrice nightly for a pee. Or need a fridge for our medication.

But we couldn't do that kind of sleeping now, or last all night without at least a bucket.

Nobody had double glazing anyway - well I think they did in eg Iceland (the country LOL) but not in the UK. And a lot of us grew up without one of them fridge things, so it is possible to manage without if you can remember how. You can also dig latrines and grease pits, and cook on an open fire. But it just isn't awfully convenient, is it? LOL

It doesn't matter, you have what you are happy with in your home or motorhome, and there's no right or wrong about it! And nobody is 'better' just cos they have all the latest gadgets, are they?

Now the Kindle - that IS a darn good invention I wouldn't be without. Cheaper than a telly too ......

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Well - it's all kind of comparative isn't it?

[HI]I mean when we were young [/HI]we'd happily sleep on someone's floor after a party, or indeed in a Mini. Plus, odd things like we didn't have to get up thrice nightly for a pee. Or need a fridge for our medication.

But we couldn't do that kind of sleeping now, or last all night without at least a bucket.

It doesn't matter, you have what you are happy with in your home or motorhome, [HI]and there's no right or wrong about it! And nobody is 'better'[/HI] just cos they have all the latest gadgets, are they?

Now the Kindle - that IS a darn good invention I wouldn't be without. Cheaper than a telly too ......

I was 51 when I took the trip to France and Spain - not so young - and we did stay on sites every night.

The post wasn't about the 'haves and have nots' it was more to ask if we are really 'getting away from it all' or 'taking it all with us'.

The only 'essentials' missing from my first van would have been a fridge and a toilet
:thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Recent posts about heating made me think of my first MH bought in 1990, a 1978 coachbuilt (Newland I think) on a Toyota HiAce chassis cab - 1600cc petrol engine - that took us (self, wife and 3 young sons), very slowly, through France to Spain.

The van had a gas hob, fresh water tank and sink (foot pump) and that was it !

- no double glazing, toilet, shower, fridge, air con, heating, tv, satellite, internet, air suspension, sat nav, reversing camera, no EHU or even a leisure battery - stuff that my current MH has

- How did we manage? -

We did have a tent and a cool box but that was it - great trip by the way

Have we gone too far?

Do we really need all the stuff?

Yes. you need the stuff now, bet if i came and took it away, and gave you a tent and a ticket to France you would be winging for a week.:thumb:

The first adventures are always the most memorable ones.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Yes. you need the stuff now, bet if i came and took it away, and gave you a tent and a ticket to France you would be winging for a week.:thumb:

The first adventures are always the most memorable ones.

The tent was for two of the boys and me (security), wifey and the other son had the van. IMO no van is big enough for 5. If the 'boys' ever wanted to come away with us :)Eeek:) they would be in a tent!

Our first adventure was 35 years ago when the wife and I took a small yacht across the Channel and spent 3 months crossing France to the Med on the canals, Rivers Seine and Rhone - had to eat fresh food every day! Entertainment was a cassette player, contact with the outside world via phone boxes.

It was an adventure - in our first boat, France is a great country, great people
:Smile:

All the comforts we have today could not have made it any better.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
This was one of my early motorhomes. A self build circa 1975 or maybe before. I welded a piece of motorway crash barrier on the back and hoisted a Honda 90 onto it and set off for the South of France. As you say, no heater, hot water, fridge or even loo. Had such a good time I forgot to come home for a long time.

That`s almost pioneering doing that back then with that gear ---I was still in school in 1975 !
Seems quite straightforward nowadays with modern travel and equipment.

We have to just click or push a button nowadays to get where or what we want :Eeek:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
That`s almost pioneering doing that back then with that gear ---I was still in school in 1975 !
Seems quite straightforward nowadays with modern travel and equipment.

We have to just click or push a button nowadays to get where or what we want :Eeek:
I suppose some did think it pioneering but having driven to Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan and all points east for a living in those days the South of France was a bit like a day trip to Blackpool :ROFLMAO:.
The van was a petrol engine from a Hillman Hunter and if I remember right it was 1750cc.
I sold it too a couple who drove it to Greece and the last I heard of it, it was on Corfu and being used by a fulltimer.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
On my sis and BiL's first trip - I think to Corfu? - late 60's/early 70's - they met an English couple living in a VW camper, who had made themselves a pack of playing cards out of cut up cornflake boxes to amuse themselves!

Said they were lovely people and I know they admired them both for having the guts to do it and their zest for life.

I often wonder what happened to those people ...... did they come home and settle into life in a suburban semi - or what?

Possessions - some are comforted by just having them, aren't they? Comfort for me is not having them exactly - but knowing I could have them if I wanted to, rather than all the years saying I'd love one of those and then having to say But we can't afford one ?

You know, the basic difference between having money left over at the end of the month, instead of always having month left over at the end of the money? LOL

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back