Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
We are going to spend the winter in Valencia area. We have a dome satellite system, which we know does not receive uk tv down that far.
Could we buy a larger dish and use it free stand ing with the box.
we are definetly not techinal minded, and dont want to spend too much.
Thanks

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We are going to spend the winter in Valencia area. We have a dome satellite system, which we know does not receive uk tv down that far.
Thanks

Yes you can buy a larger dish and use it with your sat receiver.....but will you get anything ...who knows....some places Maybe some places No......We had a Brit- 4 wheel drive and caravan behind us at Marjal (the new Marjal) He had a 1 meter + free standing dish....and seemed very disappointed as he was getting nothing after hours of trying and a lot of ear ache from swmbo:swear::swear::swear: ....so he had to use the onsite TV not brill but the basic channels BBC1 2 and ITV
:Doh::Doh::cry:

Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Thanks

Valencia to Alicante is probably the worst area in Spain for Astra reception. A dish of 2 to 2.5 meters is usually required and even then you could get drop out at night and definitely when it rains. This of course is for reception of BBC, ITV Channel4 and Channel5.

You can get some other Sky channels with a smaller dish, but not many.

Pete:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
The bigger the dish the harder they are to set up, that's why those mini dishes inside the domes find it so easy in strong footprint areas.

Last edited:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
We go to Bonterra Park in Benicassim around 40 miles up from Valencia, last 4 years ok with a 120 free standing dish, this year ok up until the trees got there full covering of leaves we was ok, but it was the pitch we had others had full reception with the same size dish . Peter :thumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
There have been some recent changes and down in Benidorm you can get bbc, itv etc on a 1mtr dish... Astra 1n is now carrying the channels But no one knows if this is going to be a temporary measure..
The Satandpc guy, who is a member here may come on soon and advise with more info...

OP
OP
S

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
size of satellite dish

Thats where we are going not until Nov. so will go for one that size, leaves should have dropped by November, but lets hope the sun shines.
maybe see you there
thanks

Hi
We go to Bonterra Park in Benicassim around 40 miles up from Valencia, last 4 years ok with a 120 free standing dish, this year ok up until the trees got there full covering of leaves we was ok, but it was the pitch we had others had full reception with the same size dish . Peter :thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Thats where we are going not until Nov. so will go for one that size, leaves should have dropped by November, but lets hope the sun shines.
maybe see you there
thanks

Hi
If you have any probs finding the sat, Look for Ray Morgan, tall, grey hair, and glasses, rides a full size leci bike, he will get you on no prob,s, or ask if he is on site at the office for his pitch number.

We are not there until the 2nd April 2013 now, been there this year for 7 weeks.

If you have not been there before you wont be disapointed it a good site and very convenient for everything. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012

Yes you can buy a larger dish and use it with your sat receiver.....but will you get anything ...who knows....some places Maybe some places No......We had a Brit- 4 wheel drive and caravan behind us at Marjal (the new Marjal) He had a 1 meter + free standing dish....and seemed very disappointed as he was getting nothing after hours of trying and a lot of ear ache from swmbo:swear::swear::swear: ....so he had to use the onsite TV not brill but the basic channels BBC1 2 and ITV
:Doh::Doh::cry:

what do you mean the new marjal is there a old 1 ?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
what do you mean the new marjal is there a old 1 ? Yesterday 22:29

There are two Camping Marjal sites. The old one being at Guardamar and the new one at Catral.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Since the channels on Astra 2d (that required 2.4m dishes insome areas of Spain) moved to Astra 1N in Feb 2012, then reception has improved. These channels (BBC ITV C4 Fives) can now be received on a 1m dish over most of Spain. In smoe areas smaller dishes may be able to receive these channels also.

Curenttly, dishes currently work, but may not be able to pull in the main uk channels, more those channels on "south beams" like Sky News.

Some of the Sky channels still require a much larger dish for reception - especially those on the north beams of 2a and 2b.

However, with the launch of the 3 new satellites (the first in Sept), then you can expect the channels on 1n to move to theses new satellites... and that is where reception will definately change. Nothing is konwn about the reception of their UK beams in Spain, and so dish size requried is also unknown.

Last edited:

bob

Free Member
Feb 10, 2008
ALDRIDGE WEST MIDS
Funster No
MH
rapido
Exp
SINCE 1992
satalite bonaterra

Been doing Bonaterra Benicassim for a few years over the winter,they normally recomend a 1.3 dish for the area, we get by with a 1.1 dish and a decent lnb which is an invacom quad they seem to work better than the single unit. You can get a dish local new but it will cost around 250 euros thats a dish, lnb and stand. A decent sat finder is a big help in setting up but there are usually two or three of us with these. Like you say with the leaves out of the way it makes life easy,the site people only start trimming the trees in Nov so a pitch with a more open outlook helps.also theres no guarrantee you will get BBC all evening you sometimes have to swop channels to Scotland or London area same with ITV this normally happens early evening. Bob

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
anywhere in Spain

I never got a signal on a 40cm VDO auto search system anywhere in Spain including up a couple of mountains.:Sad:
So the wife had to miss out on Corrie and Emerdale and so by default so did I::bigsmile:

Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
Costa Del Sol reception

Hola..
I have a Maxview B2590/85 manual crank up dish. 85cm down here in Malaga picks up all the Freesat stations no problem. Since migrating across to Astra 2N the signal footprint is a lot stronger down here now. At home I use a 1.5m dish. Channel 5 is the only unpredictable one. Before investing in the Maxview I used a bog standard 1 m offset dish strapped to a pole on the side of the motorhome with a small gimble arrangement I could adjust to get the pole vertical. Getting the pole vertical is the key to easy alignment. If you find the satellite route a bit daunting you can always go the digital terrestrial route and change the language to english. There are quite a few channels with english content.
Hope this helps.. enjoy your trip to the sun. Hast luego amigo's

atb Neil

Thanks

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
will be at marjal for new year anyone who can get a signal let me know i can watch your tv i know for certain i prolly wont get a signal but i will need the remote lol

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I have a Maxview B2590/85 manual crank up dish. 85cm down here in Malaga picks up all the Freesat stations no problem. Since migrating across to Astra 2N the signal footprint is a lot stronger down here now.

Thats amazing!
Especially when 2N has not yet been launched.:Smile:
We are only up to 2e,2f and 2g!
Suppose you mean 1N?

But with the launch of 2F, reception WILL change in Spain, is expected to be nothing like it is today, and maybe even worse when the channels were on 2D!

will be at marjal for new year anyone who can get a signal let me know i can watch your tv i know for certain i prolly wont get a signal but i will need the remote lol
Would expect you will be able to get some UK TV signals. But those signal may not carry the channels you want! In the same way that for the last several years, you can receive the channels on 2a and 2b south beams and Eb1 / Eutelsat 28as beams nice and easily...

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Marjal, Costa blanca at Catral have a Digital TV IF system where you can plug in with a TV cable to a point on each pitch. Take a long Tv lead and a barrel connector or you can buy them at the Chino shop in the town.
Do a new search on your digital TV and you will find some British channels there.. Cant remember which channels or how many, sorry we had been in the company of other Funsters so it's all a bit of a blur.. :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back