rockpool/Crab fishing surprise (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I am used to finding small fish and crabs in rock pools but with a little local know how and a bent piece of wire LOBSTERS :thumb:::bigsmile: A couple of ins bigger and it would have been on the barbie :Smile:
terry

Attachments

• IMAG0028.jpg
    IMAG0028.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMAG0026.jpg
    IMAG0026.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMAG0027.jpg
    IMAG0027.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 105

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
In this case then lucky lobster, hope you told your grandson to keep his fingers well away from its claw.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
some of the best times of my life were taking my kids rock pooling,now take my grandkids:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We were talking about rock pools the other night, some prog on Disco or something; showing a starfish that had met with a mugger and lost a 'leg' - and they'd filmed the leg walking away to regenerate.

I said Oh, my dad used to go mad when naughty boys on the beach did that deliberately - (of course, both buckets and spades were metal in those days, remember? LOL) and Pete was shocked - perhaps Blackpool doesn't have rock pools? Dunno cos we never went there, they always did.

We weren't allowed near rockpools without dad, and we could look - even touch - but never pick anything up. I remember dad putting a starfish on my hand with absolute dire threats not to drop it ! Very, very odd feeling on a little hand .....

I wonder where that was?

Then I said, I wonder if any of the grandkids have ever even seen a starfish?

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Plenty of rockpools at Whitley Bay :thumb: These were found at OLD HARTLEY beech after a very high tide :thumb: Lots of hermit crabs and only one starfish but that was found by a couple of local 20 somethings that both lent us the metal bar and showed us what /where to rake under the rocks for the lobster :thumb:He was telling me they often come across foot long sucker fish that always make him jump when they come flying out from under the rocks ::bigsmile: I think he was hoping to see me jump back and fall into the pool :Smile: If I had not seen / done the raking for lobsters I would never have belivied it could be done ::bigsmile:After watching how the lobsters were done grandson got his net and started raking under the edges of the pools and this brought several 2 ins sucker fish into his net that we would never have found :Smile:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
many down here carry i metre length of stiffish fencing wire .hooked on the end . you poke it in cracks etc in the rocks below the high tide level . big crabs hide in the cracks .you can get several nice edible crabs on an afternoons search. hook one end other end wrapped round a bit of stick for pulling . the skill is being able to pull the crabs out just using your hands . i havent learnt that . just use the wire . crabs hurt .

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
many down here carry i metre length of stiffish fencing wire .hooked on the end . you poke it in cracks etc in the rocks below the high tide level . big crabs hide in the cracks .you can get several nice edible crabs on an afternoons search. hook one end other end wrapped round a bit of stick for pulling . the skill is being able to pull the crabs out just using your hands . i havent learnt that . just use the wire . crabs hurt .

::bigsmile: I didn't find out but I bet that lobster would hurt -look at the size of it's pincers :Smile:
I could have shown them all about ferret's rabits and shooting :thumb: but this raking lark was something different that I never knew-bet my grandson never forgets :winky:
terry

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I am used to finding small fish and crabs in rock pools but with a little local know how and a bent piece of wire LOBSTERS :thumb:::bigsmile: A couple of ins bigger and it would have been on the barbie :Smile:
terry

Terry...over here the first picture that tiny tiny fish in your son's hand would have been a meal:Doh:.may even have been a meal for two:winky::winky:..when the tide goes out then the beach is open season....I was watching one Frenchman...he had a tiny thin top part of a fresh water fishing rod ...WITH a tiny feather on the end.....delving into rock pools...in his bucket was a load of mishmash of tiny small sea creatures....I said to him... for bait.. to fish for larger fish....NO he said to eat:Eeek::Doh:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We were talking about rock pools the other night, some prog on Disco or something; showing a starfish that had met with a mugger and lost a 'leg' - and they'd filmed the leg walking away to regenerate.

I said Oh, my dad used to go mad when naughty boys on the beach did that deliberately - (of course, both buckets and spades were metal in those days, remember? LOL) and Pete was shocked - perhaps Blackpool doesn't have rock pools? Dunno cos we never went there, they always did.

We weren't allowed near rockpools without dad, and we could look - even touch - but never pick anything up. I remember dad putting a starfish on my hand with absolute dire threats not to drop it ! Very, very odd feeling on a little hand .....

I wonder where that was?

Then I said, I wonder if any of the grandkids have ever even seen a starfish?

I know starfish regenerate legs Jenny......but not legs regenerating starfish :Doh: :roflmto:

but then i could be wrong

Starfish, also known as sea stars, (they are not fish) are capable of regenerating even one arm into a whole new body. This is only possible if the arm includes part of the central disc. If you cut off only the tip of an arm, that tip will not regenerate, but the animal will grow another arm. I have seen a single arm nearly 8 inches long with small 1/2 inch arms growing off of it, it will eventually become a whole new sea star. If you cut a sea star in quarters, right down the center, each piece will grow into a whole new sea star. I do not know how many pieces one can cut any one starfish into and still have each regenerate. As long as a piece has part of the central disk, it should regenerate into a whole organism. But if you cut a starfish in half, and then let it grow into an whole one before cutting it in half again, one should be able to do that indefinitely.

Jim Murray

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I didn't know the anatomical minutiae - I guess whatever was chopped off in the film must have contained whatever it was it needed, LOL PLus I was on the puter watching telly, IYSWIM.

I don't think I would have looked too close at what the kids were doing at that age (6-ish?) cos I wouldn't have liked it - only heard what they said they were doing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back