7" Ipad in the pipeline (1 Viewer)

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Saw this on Yahoo. sounds like 10 million mini iPads have been ordered. This is bound the dominate the mini tablet market. Mini iPad:thumb::thumb::thumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Yep.. Rumors been flying about for a while now.....:winky:

Guess we will all know very soon.. I have promised 2 young grandkids them for Xmas so fingers crossed , otherwise it's gonna cost for for 2 full size ipads !!!:Doh:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
At £199 the Google Nexus is a hard act to beat.

yep,, i think thats why Apple have got worried, Not used one but the Nexus has had good reviews and comments.... But I love my ipad, so do my Grandkids.!!:Angry:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
At £199 the Google Nexus is a hard act to beat.

Yup, I would rather buy the £199 nexus than a £299 apple... (16GB anticipated pricing)

Having just bought a 64GB playbook for £129 I am not in the market though :ROFLMAO:

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
ave 2 of the Nexus and I can't fault them at all - for £199 it was a no brainer!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Unusual for Apple to be following a market, that size tablet has proved to be popular and a lot of companies are on their 3rd generation of that style. Apple needs to produce something special to compete.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Unusual for Apple to be following a market, that size tablet has proved to be popular and a lot of companies are on their 3rd generation of that style. Apple needs to produce something special to compete.

Exactly right... Steve Jobs famously slammed 7" tablets :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

During the Samsung vs Apple Trial an email was published where one of the senior staff was exhorting jobs to launch a 7"er...

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Found the full quote from Jobs;

If you take an iPad and hold it upright in portrait view and draw an imaginary horizontal line halfway down the screen, the screens on the seven-inch tablets are a bit smaller than the bottom half of the iPad display. This size isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion.

Well, one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference. It is meaningless, unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of the present size. Apple's done extensive user-testing on touch interfaces over many years, and we really understand this stuff. There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touch screen before users cannot reliably tap, flick, or pinch them. This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps.

Third, every tablet user is also a smartphone user. No tablet can compete with the mobility of a smartphone, its ease of fitting into your pocket or purse, its unobtrusiveness when used in a crowd. Given that all tablet users will already have a smartphone in their pockets, giving up precious display area to fit a tablet in our pockets is clearly the wrong trade-off. The 7-inch tablets are tweeners, too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with an iPad.

Fourth, almost all of these new tablets use Android software, but even Google is telling the tablet manufacturers not to use their current release, Froyo, for tablets, and to wait for a special tablet release next year. What does it mean when your software supplier does not (inaudible) to use their software in your tablet? And what does it mean when you ignore them and use it anyway?
Fifth, iPad now has over 35,000 apps on the App Store. This new crop of tablets will have near zero. And sixth and last, our potential competitors are having a tough time coming close to iPad's pricing, even with their far smaller, far less expensive screens. The iPad incorporates everything we have learned about building high value products from iPhones, iPods, and Macs. We create our own A4 chip, our own software, our own battery chemistry, our own enclosure, our own everything. And this results in an incredible product at a great price. The proof of this will be in the pricing of our competitor's products, which will likely offer less for more.

These are among the reasons we think the current crop of 7-inch tablets are going to be DOA, dead on arrival. Their manufacturers will learn the painful lesson that their tablets are too small and increase the size next year, thereby abandoning both customers and developers who jumped on the 7-inch bandwagon with an orphan product. Sounds like lots of fun ahead.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
As owner of a 16GB Nexus I can confirm their quality. Used a (paid for) App from Co Pilot for a trip to Telford last Saturday and can confirm this will be my Sat Nav of choice.

Good graphics, fast responses. Only disappointment is that iPlayer not yet compatable but Beeb are working on it Broken Link Removed

Steve

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have the IPAD

I have the IPAD (first generation) in use every day for past 2 years. SWMBO wants one for Christmas....

Now she does all her messing about on the IPHONE which is not 7" ... for me the 7" with my hand and finger size would be a no go.. but for her smaller hands? may be.

It has to be cheaper than 3rd generation IPAD...

Watching with interest

Bob

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I would feel a bit of a show off geek, holding up a Ipad, being the size of a tea tray, just to take a picture :ROFLMAO:
We have to live with these gadgets, i prefer to slip 7" in my pocket than a 10" monster swinging around in a seperate bag. :Eeek:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
the MK1 has no photo capability

I would feel a bit of a show off geek, holding up a Ipad, being the size of a tea tray, just to take a picture :ROFLMAO:
We have to live with these gadgets, i prefer to slip 7" in my pocket than a 10" monster swinging around in a seperate bag. :Eeek:

The MK 1 has no photo capability.. I use it on wifi and for general emails etc., in doors on on the RV... I use an IPHON out and about.... the ipad is ideal in meeting etc.,

Bob

fenboyandy

Free Member
Oct 1, 2012
barking
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Yep.. Rumors been flying about for a while now.....:winky:

Guess we will all know very soon.. I have promised 2 young grandkids them for Xmas so fingers crossed , otherwise it's gonna cost for for 2 full size ipads !!!:Doh:

can I add myself to that Xmas list please?! Mini or full-size, I'm not fussy :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back