Winter = damp and condensation (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm thinking of buying one of these Broken Link Removed greenhouse heaters for the motorhome this winter. The last really cold winter in Wales all my doors and cupboards were swollen and warped with the damp and cold.

Might look out for a dehumidifier too

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
personally Jim i would buy 2 of the 60 watt ones and put 1 at each end of the van same consumption better heat distribution.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
personally Jim i would buy 2 of the 60 watt ones and put 1 at each end of the van same consumption better heat distribution.

have you seen my lickle motorhome? ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
yes i have :thumb:
maybe your better with just the one then :Doh:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Why not just escape from cold, damp Wales and come back down here.

You can run your internet empire from here in warm sunshine... (well not too sunny today but you know what I mean.)

JJ :Cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A word of caution.. check with your insurance company that you will still be covered for fire.

This was discussed before and IIRC Brian (hilldweller) spoke to his insurer who categorically stated that his insurance didn't cover portable heaters or heaters that were not original equipment.

Of course you may assess the risk and come to the conclusion that a greenhouse heater or dehumidifier pose a very a low risk .. and take a chance.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
been using them for 3 years now

I'm thinking of buying one of these Broken Link Removed greenhouse heaters for the motorhome this winter. The last really cold winter in Wales all my doors and cupboards were swollen and warped with the damp and cold.

Might look out for a dehumidifier too

I have two of them in the RV.. both came from screwfix.... I have one in the bathroom at the back and another against the dinette (back of legs area)...with a guard ...

Both are left on all the time in the winter and work well.. everything is snug and warm... I have the main boiler set just above freezing to kick in if the temperature really falls... but have found the tube heaters work well... mine are 100 watt and an 80 watt... had to replace the 100 watt last year as it gave up after two years.

I also run a dehumidifier also from Screwfix .. on timer for about 6 hours a night direct drain out in to the sink and then out via the grey tank that is left open in the winter. Also works well and draws a lot of water out of the air.

But no warped cupboards and never damp JIM

Bob:thumb:

Last edited:

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I had a 60w one in the Hobby last year, seemed to keep it about 2 - 3 degrees above the outside temp. Im changing the van later in the month to an Auto sleeper Surrey, its a little bigger so may try a 120w

John

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I've run a dehumidifier for several years during the winter.
We usually keep the moho in a 'ready to go' condition and find that even after several weeks standing the made up bed is ready for instant use with no sign of needing airing.
Remember that you will never completely remove all moisture from a moho and that is not the aim, but will keep furniture cushions and curtains from absorbing excessive air borne moisture.

Also I keep a small 900 watt oil-filled rad running at a very low setting. This in tandem with the dehumidifier and its air circulating fan, prevents pockets of cold, moist, stagnant air. Its this stagnant air that causes moulds and mildew.
If the outside temperatures are warmer than expected then I use a timer(s) to only switch them on overnight when its colder.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim I have just bought one of Broken Link Removed A lot bigger at 1000 w but turns right down on temp control.( I did not buy it for frost protection,mainly for the remote control to save fumbling around at night while in the van) I stuck a similar size in the van a few yrs back that kicked in and out when it needed to but it cost about a tenner a week so I reverted back to emptying soft furnishings into a spare room and left the van cold ::bigsmile:(5 min job ) Also have a mate with 8 of the heaters in your link as his primery heating but he leaves 2 on all winter long and says his van is never damp etc and always ready to go :thumb:He built them in under his seating under a shelf type of thing so they do not get kicked etc.
terry

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Yes, Jim, I think a dehumidifier is the way to go.
We used one in our previous van - a Rapido aclass. We find we don't need one in our James Cook.
A heater just helps the air carry more water and just moves it about. The dehumidifier sucks the humidity out of the air. Just make sure you empty the water frequently!:thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
had the tubular heaters in my last caravan under the seat bases and one in the washroom with electric towel rail,another on the sidewall under the fixed bed, excellent job at keeping the caravan warm with a nice amount of background heat and no condensation,also warm air rising in the gap between sidewall and seat backs etc. I have also included them in the build of the new motorhome, along with one of the "frost protectors" from screwfix (it's more of a low wattage heater) Link Removed It is very handy as with this and the tubular heaters 3x60 wattt a total of 580 watts plus the 60 watt towel rail we very rarely need to use the eberspacher (our main heater)
obviously to keep condensation at bay it's no good just adding heat without ventilation

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Not sure about the dehumidifier route as with all the built in ventilation and drop out vents I feel that you are probably mostly dehumidifying a lot of the outside air which is why they collect so much moisture.

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
For the last three years i have used a 900w oil filled radiator and leave it on a low setting
i always check it every 2-3 couple of days it works fine for me.
I always leave all the cupboard doors open and i can't recall having trouble with condensation or mildew.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
better keep an eye on your leccy bill Jim....it will be all of £3 per week :roflmto:

they are a powerful heater though....i've had to replace 500w ones in a workplace boot drying room with carrier bags completely melted onto them

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not sure about the dehumidifier route as with all the built in ventilation and drop out vents I feel that you are probably mostly dehumidifying a lot of the outside air which is why they collect so much moisture.
got to agree.....as fast as moisture is pulled out of the air, it will just be replaced by moist air entering through the vents.

dehumidifiers only work efficiently in a sealed room

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would forget about a dehumidifier for the reasons suggested, unless you want to try to 'dry out' your street!!!! :Doh:

A small heater coupled with giving the van a good airing at regular intervals is the best bet and move the cushions indoors so there is less materials around to absorb and hold moisture in the first place. Also, don't be tempted to block the vents etc otherwise you are likely to actually increase the amount of moisture in the van as it cannot escape and possibly cause mould etc - a bit like a house with double glazing but no air vents ...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
follow the birds go south very south .
you know it makes sense .
whats that saying ?
the rain in spain is mainly in portugal .ha ha .
mind be ok in march when i get there i hope . hee hee.
isnt winter the dryest warmest months of the year?

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I would forget about a dehumidifier for the reasons suggested, unless you want to try to 'dry out' your street!!!! :Doh:

A small heater coupled with giving the van a good airing at regular intervals is the best bet and move the cushions indoors so there is less materials around to absorb and hold moisture in the first place. Also, don't be tempted to block the vents etc otherwise you are likely to actually increase the amount of moisture in the van as it cannot escape and possibly cause mould etc - a bit like a house with double glazing but no air vents ...
Sorry but disagree with the last bit ::bigsmile: You will never get the van airtight so fit fridge and water heater vents :thumb: then stick a low heater on to take the chill out of the air :thumb:
Of course if you had a extremely well insulated S/B Ambulance you wouldn't need the heater to stop doors etc warping :thumb::Doh:::bigsmile: :reel:
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back