interior mirror/reversing camera fallen off (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
The interior mirror has fallen off and as the rear reversing camera is fixed onto it is fairly heavy, we have used double sided pads but it fell off again.:Sad:
We have driven for a while using the side mirrors as we cannot see very well anyway through the van to the back window due to the bikes on the bike rack.
But we think why have one if we cant use it!!:RollEyes:
Any idea's of how to fix this back on permanently please?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The interior mirror has fallen off and as the rear reversing camera is fixed onto it is fairly heavy, we have used double sided pads but it fell off again.:Sad:
We have driven for a while using the side mirrors as we cannot see very well anyway through the van to the back window due to the bikes on the bike rack.
You can buy a special kit from most motoring stores for refixing mirrors, but it is very important to follow any instructions to the letter or it will fall off again.
The kit includes a special adhesive and a small mesh sheet and may have a means of cleaning the screen and back of mirror bracket.

I would remove the camera screen to reduce weight until you are sure the bracket is firmly attached.

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
a trick i used to use when fitting mobile phone aerials to car windows was to heat the base of the aerial with a hair drier then apply the adhesive to the base then heat the window with the hair drier but keep the base warm ( we used 2 hair driers ) then remove the backing and stick whilst warm.

this is after cleaning both surfaces with surgical spirit although the kits will have alcohol wipes supplied with them.

if you lightly rub the back of the mirror fixing with sandpaper then wipe with the alcohol wipe you will get a better fix.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
whats an interior mirror when it is at home?

What is an interior mirror when it is at home?

RV's use backup camera's and wing mirrors.. an interior mirror would only allow me to see Ezzie....

Bob:Blush:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
What is an interior mirror when it is at home?

RV's use backup camera's and wing mirrors.. an interior mirror would only allow me to see Ezzie....

Bob:Blush:

We have a rear lounge so could see the road behind through the interior mirror if we didn't have bikes on the rack but as it also holds the reversing/backup camera, the mirror is just a holder really as the reversing camera clamps over the interior mirror.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
more clear now

We have a rear lounge so could see the road behind through the interior mirror if we didn't have bikes on the rack but as it also holds the reversing/backup camera, the mirror is just a holder really as the reversing camera clamps over the interior mirror.

More clear now....

Bob

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
As mentioned before, the loctite mirror mesh is the best option. Once that sticks, it only comes off with half the windscreen attached!

You can look at local car accessory stores or an auction site, should only be 2 or 3 pounds.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years

=========
Rear view mirror in my car came off. I tried the stick on pad things , they were hopeless, mirror vibrated like no ones business and constantly fell off again .

Then went in to one of the national windscreen repair depots . Guy there fixed the mirror back on via whatever adhesive they use . He initially refused to take any payment as it was only a few minute job. I had to persuade him to take a few quid for his trouble. No problem with mirror ever since.

Give one of the windscreen depots a try , am sure they would help out..

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

If you mean fix it to the glass the front window....araldite two part resin glue....if it is to stick the part / clip that your mirror slides onto.... araldite...used it before, look for the 5 min quick set one..and just hold it till it goes off then leave for 24 hours.....Just a very thin layer of the mixed glue.... so it does not runs down the window...a warm window will help it go off quicker...in fact stick some masking tape or gaffa tape all around the area of the clip just leaving the glass showing for the part to stick onto...so none does go onto your glass:thumb.
Used it myself on the front glass of our car, after the new one they fitted fell off :Doh: still there solid as a rock:thumb:

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
a trick i used to use when fitting mobile phone aerials to car windows was to heat the base of the aerial with a hair drier then apply the adhesive to the base then heat the window with the hair drier but keep the base warm ( we used 2 hair driers ) then remove the backing and stick whilst warm.

this is after cleaning both surfaces with [HI]surgical spirit[/HI] although the kits will have alcohol wipes supplied with them.

if you lightly rub the back of the mirror fixing with sandpaper then wipe with the alcohol wipe you will get a better fix.

Surgical spirit contains an oil which may weaken adhesion. Best to use methylated spirit (the purple one, tho thats only an added dye of course):thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I used the 'loctite' kit a few times when working breakdowns....cant get much better if instructions are followed to the letter.

you only get one chance to position it correctly so take your time...and dont let it move when in place, only take a few seconds to cure, or you get adhesive on the glass which wont come off

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back