Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Yes, well, I had a go about doggy doo doo a while back but a recent stay on an aire beats it by far!

Lalinde aire on the Dordogne looks OK at first sight though a bit scruffy. It's free and has waste disposal and free water.

But:Confused:

we couldn't find the cassette emptying place so asked a Brit motorhomer who pointed out a small drain cover.
We were parked up next to the borne area when a motorhome pulled up. The driver got out, grabbed his cassette and was about to empty it down the grey water grill. I pointed to the little metal cover and said that was the place to empty and he 'obliged, grumbling that he lives in Lalinde. :Blush:

Next morning two motorhomes pull up on the hard standing and proceed to empty their cassettes onto the grills over the grey water drains then manipulate their turds between the metal grills :shout::shout:

Later we emptied into the drain we assume is for cassettes and two other lots of French motorhomers thanked me for pointing out the hole. (they probably would have done the same as the others:winky:)

The thing is, there is nothing to indicate that there is a place to empty cassettes.
The 'fresh' water, too, is confusing. There is a sink with a push tap where we saw people rinsing their cassettes and also fill plastic bottles. And there is a proper tap nearby with screw fitting which is also used for both rinsing and filling up.
Have a look at the photo.

So, what do you do?
We have actually bought bottled water from Aldi to fill up. It might cost a bit more but its clean:thumb:

Attachments

• whatdoyoudo.jpg
    whatdoyoudo.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This is an all too common problem.. even on UK sites/cls I've seen people washing cassettes at the drinking water tap ..
I've seen all sorts of ablutions done at taps.. dog shampooing, washing hair, feet, washing dirty dishes etc.. there is no way you will ever educate people not to do this so...

My solution (no pun intended) is to spray the tap, inside and out before using with a strong solution of bleach and water.. then run for a few seconds before connecting the hose.. . get some funny looks but it will protect from picking up bacteria..

If at all worried the best bit of kit is a Nature Pure water filter ..

Last edited:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I know one worse, my wife plays darts for a team in Blackpool, last night one of the team who runs a small hotel some en suit and also some separate WC,s told them, one of which had human excrement smeared all over the walls and seat, the mind boggles what is in people's minds other than what was on the walls etc . Pete :Doh::Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Yes, well, I had a go about doggy doo doo a while back but a recent stay on an aire beats it by far!

Lalinde aire on the Dordogne looks OK at first sight though a bit scruffy. It's free and has waste disposal and free water.

But:Confused:

we couldn't find the cassette emptying place so asked a Brit motorhomer who pointed out a small drain cover.
We were parked up next to the borne area when a motorhome pulled up. The driver got out, grabbed his cassette and was about to empty it down the grey water grill. I pointed to the little metal cover and said that was the place to empty and he 'obliged, grumbling that he lives in Lalinde. :Blush:

Next morning two motorhomes pull up on the hard standing and proceed to empty their cassettes onto the grills over the grey water drains then manipulate their turds between the metal grills :shout::shout:

Later we emptied into the drain we assume is for cassettes and two other lots of French motorhomers thanked me for pointing out the hole. (they probably would have done the same as the others:winky:)

The thing is, there is nothing to indicate that there is a place to empty cassettes.
The 'fresh' water, too, is confusing. There is a sink with a push tap where we saw people rinsing their cassettes and also fill plastic bottles. And there is a proper tap nearby with screw fitting which is also used for both rinsing and filling up.
Have a look at the photo.

So, what do you do?
We have actually bought bottled water from Aldi to fill up. It might cost a bit more but its clean:thumb:

OK .... Any suggestion box at the reception?

If Yes : Write this down and put it in !

"L'aire de service pour les camping-cars manque cruellement d'indications majeures!!!! Personne ne sait où verser les eaux usées ainsi que les eaux noires! Je pense que le maire de la commune verrait d'un très mauvais oeil que ses administrés boivent la résultante des eaux noires et tombent malades ! Procédez immédiatement à l'annotation des différents points de vidange ET d'approvisionnement en eaux claires (point de rinçage ET point d'approvisionnement) avant que je ne porte plainte et laisse mes appréciations un peu partout dans les services concernés. Je me ferai également un plaisir de vous signaler à la fois aux consommateurs et aux revues consacrées aux campings!"

Here you are . I know it's a bit long but please , if everybody could write this down and leave it in the suggestions boxes of the campsites which are proposing the same kind of services , may be we would have a chance to see things changing . Let me tell you that french understand only threat!!!! Their business is very important . If you tell them they will have troubles with authorities , they usually correct whatever's wrong!

Hope this helps!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
so what does it say?

OK .... Any suggestion box at the reception?

If Yes : Write this down and put it in !

"L'aire de service pour les camping-cars manque cruellement d'indications majeures!!!! Personne ne sait où verser les eaux usées ainsi que les eaux noires! Je pense que le maire de la commune verrait d'un très mauvais oeil que ses administrés boivent la résultante des eaux noires et tombent malades ! Procédez immédiatement à l'annotation des différents points de vidange ET d'approvisionnement en eaux claires (point de rinçage ET point d'approvisionnement) avant que je ne porte plainte et laisse mes appréciations un peu partout dans les services concernés. Je me ferai également un plaisir de vous signaler à la fois aux consommateurs et aux revues consacrées aux campings!"

Here you are . I know it's a bit long but please , if everybody could write this down and leave it in the suggestions boxes of the campsites which are proposing the same kind of services , may be we would have a chance to see things changing . let me tell you that french understand only threat!!!! Their business is very important . if you tell them they will have troubles with authorities , they usually correct whatever's wrong!

Hope this helps!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

So Frankie what does it say? in English please:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
So Frankie what does it say? in English please:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:thumb:

"The service area for campers is sorely lacking major indications!! Nobody knows where pay sewage and black water needs to go, I think the mayor of the town would take a very dim view that its citizens drink the resulting black water and get sick! Proceed immediately to the annotation of the various discharge points and supply clear water (point flushing and supply point) before I leave my complaint and assessments throughout the departments concerned. I will also be happy to report to both consumers and journals devoted to camping!
"

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

"The service area for campers is sorely lacking major indications!! Nobody knows where pay sewage and black water needs to go, I think the mayor of the town would take a very dim view that its citizens drink the resulting black water and get sick! Proceed immediately to the annotation of the various discharge points and supply clear water (point flushing and supply point) before I leave my complaint and assessments throughout the departments concerned. I will also be happy to report to both consumers and journals devoted to camping!
"

Google is amazing:thumb:

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Great translation, Popeye:ROFLMAO:
I think Google translate is used frequently by French officials wanting to offer information in several languages!:winky:

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Thanks Frankie.
Whilst I might criticize some of the facilities provided in France on this forum I don't really wish to complain to the Mairie of the communities that are so generous and which we enjoy using.:Smile:
We British motorhomers and Dutch and Belgiums who also don't provide facilities for motorhomers are fortunate to be allowed to use your wonderful network of aires. If we don't like them we can always move on or, as in this case, just be aware of the lack of hygiene and take necessary precautions.:winky:
Mike and Annie:Smile:::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Thanks Frankie.
Whilst I might criticize some of the facilities provided in France on this forum I don't really wish to complain to the Mairie of the communities that are so generous and which we enjoy using.:Smile:
We British motorhomers and Dutch and Belgiums who also don't provide facilities for motorhomers are fortunate to be allowed to use your wonderful network of aires. If we don't like them we can always move on or, as in this case, just be aware of the lack of hygiene and take necessary precautions.:winky:
Mike and Annie:Smile:::bigsmile:

I am afraid you didn't get it :roflmto: ... I am not telling YOU to do it ... I am telling you to tell THEM you're going to do it .... A threat is enough!! They don't know it is some foreigner saying this , you're not meant to sign or say who you are ... They will think it is a french family! You just put the paper in , that's all... OK ?:winky: If someone actually complains it will be me , don't you worry!

If you go away without leaving some "bad" comment, nothing will change!

BTW can you tell me which town and the name of the camp site. Is it a municipal? You seem to think the Mairie is very generous...? If it's a private campsite , the Mairie has nothing to do with it . If it's municipal , keep in mind that the people of the town pay for the expenses through local taxes. They are entitled to know that black waters can get mixed up with the grey ones! The way they are filtered are different. A simple sign would avoid troubles.
I will send them an e-mail so they get a chance to react ...

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Last edited:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We spent a couple of nights on the aire at Metz 2 yrs ago (the one outside the Camping Municipal)-Cassettes were being emptied on the grey waste grill and I couldn't find any other place to empty them.Scattered around the area were several sticks about 12"-15" long
which people were using to 'encourage' the contents of their cassettes to go between the grill bars ::bigsmile:
Could it be that the phrase 'Sh***y end of the stick' was coined at Metz ?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mike.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I just wanted to let you know that I phoned to Lalinde Mairie asking them if they had a free aire for motorhomes.

The lady on the phone answered very nicely yes .

I then reported that I happened to know there was some disfunction in using the dumping points.
She thanked me and the forum for letting them know that people could mistake between the 2 dumping points (grey /black waters), that they obviously were not aware of the possible mistake and that she would point out to the technical services this particular problem so it could be solved very quickly. :thumb::thumb:
I think it's the only way to make things change. Please go on saying what's wrong , as you can't expect things to change if you let it go:Smile:

Amicalement

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
We spent a couple of nights on the aire at Metz 2 yrs ago (the one outside the Camping Municipal)-Cassettes were being emptied on the grey waste grill and I couldn't find any other place to empty them.Scattered around the area were several sticks about 12"-15" long
which people were using to 'encourage' the contents of their cassettes to go between the grill bars ::bigsmile:
Could it be that the phrase 'Sh***y end of the stick' was coined at Metz ?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mike.

Hi Mike

Can you remember the name or number of the aire please?

If you do, then let me know I will tell them.

They are not aware that people can get confused :Doh:

Amicalement

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Mike

Can you remember the name or number of the aire please?

If you do, then let me know I will tell them.

They are not aware that people can get confused :Doh:

Amicalement

Hi Frankie-In our book it's just called 'Metz'-It's in centre of Metz.outside the Camping Municipal. It's the only one shown in Vicarious books 'All The Aires France'
We'll be there end of this week I think,so,if it's still the same I'll have a go myself ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi Frankie-In our book it's just called 'Metz'-It's in centre of Metz.outside the Camping Municipal. It's the only one shown in Vicarious books 'All The Aires France'
We'll be there end of this week I think,so,if it's still the same I'll have a go myself ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Good ! Well done Mike !

They won't eat anyone , but be very thankfull ! :thumb:::bigsmile:

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
I am afraid you didn't get it :roflmto: ... I am not telling YOU to do it ... I am telling you to tell THEM you're going to do it .... A threat is enough!! They don't know it is some foreigner saying this , you're not meant to sign or say who you are ... They will think it is a french family! You just put the paper in , that's all... OK ?:winky: If someone actually complains it will be me , don't you worry!

If you go away without leaving some "bad" comment, nothing will change!

BTW can you tell me which town and the name of the camp site. Is it a municipal? You seem to think the Mairie is very generous...? If it's a private campsite , the Mairie has nothing to do with it . If it's municipal , keep in mind that the people of the town pay for the expenses through local taxes. They are entitled to know that black waters can get mixed up with the grey ones! The way they are filtered are different. A simple sign would avoid troubles.
I will send them an e-mail so they get a chance to react ...

Oui, j'ai compri!

It is not a campsite.
It is the Aire pour Campingcars by the railway station in Lilande.:Smile:
Mike and Annie

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The first time we stopped at the Le Huga Aire (near Lacanau-Ocean) I was appalled to find that the chemical loo emptying point had a heavy metal grille fitted to it - what were they thinking when they installed that?

The next time we visited I had a pair of these:

$(KGrHqR,!jYE9HvEnCRfBPcvv41SK!~~60_35.JPG

Not expensive either - I keep them permanently in the MH now. It's also handy to have a pair round the house if the domestic sewer ever backs up, as lifting the lid out in the road can swiftly determine who's responsible for pressure jetting it. In our case it's usually the local council.

Like many aire users I've seen pretty much every possible permutation of chemical/grey/waste emptying, and not a few aires with backed up waste gulleys as a consequence. It's why I always empty the loo cassette every time we leave an aire, whether it's full or not, in case the gulley at the next aire isn't working.

As for the confusion between loo cassette rinsing taps and fresh water taps, forget it - we just buy bottled water for drinking and use the tank water for warming up. Can't be arsed risking it if I'm on holiday.

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I think you may be wrong in some cases about the grey and black waste being processed separately.

Many aires have a drive over drain. You lift the hatch on the borne and empty your cassette, then press the button to flush it, and watch the contents of your cassette pass below the surface of the drive-over drain grille! (You know that loo paper with the blue flowers is yours LOL)

From which we conclude that at that aire the black waste lands up in exactly the same place.

Likewise the water pipes that go to the borne. There are not two, only one, so to say the water in the cassette rinsing tap is non-potable most likely isn't true.

But anyway even when it's free and there are two entirely separate perfectly easily accessible taps, even when they are situated at a distance from each other - some disgusting people will use the wrong one anyway.

And it's not occasional, it's often.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Many people are just disgusting.

You get it on some foreign sites I have visited. I can't believe people can leave a toilet in the state I have seen on occasion.

I pity the poor cleaners:Sad:

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
I think you may be wrong in some cases about the grey and black waste being processed separately.

Many aires have a drive over drain. You lift the hatch on the borne and empty your cassette, then press the button to flush it, and watch the contents of your cassette pass below the surface of the drive-over drain grille! (You know that loo paper with the blue flowers is yours LOL)

From which we conclude that at that aire the black waste lands up in exactly the same place.

Likewise the water pipes that go to the borne. There are not two, only one, so to say the water in the cassette rinsing tap is non-potable most likely isn't true.

But anyway even when it's free and there are two entirely separate perfectly easily accessible taps, even when they are situated at a distance from each other - some disgusting people will use the wrong one anyway.

Yes, the two do usually go the same route. But its the pouring through the grills that's yuk!:shout:
At Le Bugue the drive-over grill was overflowing. I emptied the cassette into the designated drain and watched it push the contents out through the drive-over grill:Eeek:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
The first time we stopped at the Le Huga Aire (near Lacanau-Ocean) I was appalled to find that the chemical loo emptying point had a heavy metal grille fitted to it - what were they thinking when they installed that?

The next time we visited I had a pair of these:

$(KGrHqR,!jYE9HvEnCRfBPcvv41SK!~~60_35.JPG

Not expensive either - I keep them permanently in the MH now. It's also handy to have a pair round the house if the domestic sewer ever backs up, as lifting the lid out in the road can swiftly determine who's responsible for pressure jetting it. In our case it's usually the local council.

Like many aire users I've seen pretty much every possible permutation of chemical/grey/waste emptying, and not a few aires with backed up waste gulleys as a consequence. It's why I always empty the loo cassette every time we leave an aire, whether it's full or not, in case the gulley at the next aire isn't working.

As for the confusion between loo cassette rinsing taps and fresh water taps, forget it - we just buy bottled water for drinking and use the tank water for warming up. Can't be arsed risking it if I'm on holiday.

I think I know why there are so heavy metal grilles..... Some adults forget they have small children when they are on hols ... They just don't think about potential dangers on aires/campsites , just because it's hols...:Doh: But then if a child hurts himself or even worse when it is a big hole , falls into it ... then it always is someone else 's fault. Hence it's heavy , can' t be removed by a child!
This said , I too think it's not very convenient because it's a dirty place. I guess between 2 problems they have chosen the less important one.

Amicalement

Frankie

Last edited:

Oldlag

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
Northampton & Calvados Fr
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Your pecadillo

Just wanted to thank you for the effort you have put in to producing all that information on continental aires. Very helpful indeed and we have saved to our 'Favourites':thumb::thanks2:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp

I agree Jenny on the fact that they probably process the same way. It is just not very comfortable to think they might not. And I don't mind having the grey waters in the black ones ... I don't think the same the other way round. When we dumped the hymer black and grey waters of the Hymer, (on a Portuguese campsite) it was in the same hole . At least you don't wonder, you know it's going the same way.

As for the water being drinkable or not , it is just for an hygienic reason . Just a lot of children just put their mouth straigh on the tap ... can you imagine if someone has put his cassette there just before....YUKKKK.... If parents see , "eau non potable" they will stop their children . Just council avoiding troubles that's all !

Amicalement

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Even Biarritz aire is very bad for this, unfortunatley, it was only the English who saw it at a problem.

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Just wanted to thank you for the effort you have put in to producing all that information on continental aires. Very helpful indeed and we have saved to our 'Favourites':thumb::thanks2:

Hi Oldlag
We will be adding a few more in the next couple of days. Its always fun discovering new ones::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back