Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
That's how I feel about my Rv right now!
I left my radio face off in place when I last parked up, I always remove it normally because I know it can sometimes turn itself on:whatthe:
Anyways went to get her ready for a little weekender and all my batteries are completely flat.
I got the starter charged so figured with a hookup I'd be ok......
Not a chance, arrived at pont kemys after dark and I blew the trip on the ehu, I did the same 3 times before my new neighbours came out to find out what was blowing their power:Blush:
Not wanting to pee folks off we just sat in the Rv till bed time by torch light.
Next morning I managed to trip the whole site bit by bit, I was soo peed off by now I was packing up and going home, the site owner basically thought it was me and was happy to do nothing more to help.
So, I got the lights on but if I tried the fridge or microwave the trip would blow, I had no issues before the flat batteries, so wtf has gone wrong?

I even had talks of buying a caravan!

Oh hello everyone.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
in simple terms it needs plugging in with nothing else turned on except the charger until the batteries come up to a useable level.

you will probably find that the charger is running flat out to try and charge the batteries.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
your battery charger is drawing full current because of the discharged batteries

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Really is that it, I just gotta charge my batteries? Phew, I was selling up (again) and buying a caravan.
Thankyou you nice people you ::bigsmile:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
if you can take them off and bench chage them, then refit

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
read the other posts and agree

The RV's draw a lot of power. I would remove them and charge them on a trickle charge over a couple days.

But they may have had there day if they got that have been drained flat. Often a tale we hear on the MHF and RVOC sites. If they are dead then it is a case of replacing them. You may want to put an inline turn off switch to close the batteries down. A lot of RV's have them already fitted. I do on my Winnebago. It is near the door normally so on exit it can be turned off. Mine is a large spring loaded flip switch that emits a high pitched noise if it is touched to make sure you are warned that it is closing down the 12v electrics.

You should by rights have the engine battery and domestic battery (s) on separate circuits. Most RV's have on the dash a switch that allows domestic power to be kicked to the engine if the engine battery goes flat.

Not sure about your benny? but mine is linked via my Sterling and it will charge the batteries... but if they were flat then there is no power to start the benny - chicken and egg.. but once you get the engine started that should kick power back.. most Winnebagos have the facility to take excess power back to the domestic batteries.

I have a lot of belt and braces... also the battery master (cheap item) to keep the engine battery charged when on EHU as it takes excess charge from the domestic to the engine.

I know when you first got your RV you were not 100% about RV's and thought about selling. But believe me once you have sorted out these kind of issues it gets easier. But yes radio's do knock out batteries very fast as do alarms... hence mine is always on ehu at home.

Hope you get the batteries to come back to life.

Bob

robinwickens

Free Member
Oct 3, 2012
Bromyard
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2nd Year
The RV's draw a lot of power. I would remove them and charge them on a trickle charge over a couple days.

But they may have had there day if they got that have been drained flat. Often a tale we hear on the MHF and RVOC sites. If they are dead then it is a case of replacing them. You may want to put an inline turn off switch to close the batteries down. A lot of RV's have them already fitted. I do on my Winnebago. It is near the door normally so on exit it can be turned off. Mine is a large spring loaded flip switch that emits a high pitched noise if it is touched to make sure you are warned that it is closing down the 12v electrics.

You should by rights have the engine battery and domestic battery (s) on separate circuits. Most RV's have on the dash a switch that allows domestic power to be kicked to the engine if the engine battery goes flat.

Not sure about your benny? but mine is linked via my Sterling and it will charge the batteries... but if they were flat then there is no power to start the benny - chicken and egg.. but once you get the engine started that should kick power back.. most Winnebagos have the facility to take excess power back to the domestic batteries.

I have a lot of belt and braces... also the battery master (cheap item) to keep the engine battery charged when on EHU as it takes excess charge from the domestic to the engine.

I know when you first got your RV you were not 100% about RV's and thought about selling. But believe me once you have sorted out these kind of issues it gets easier. But yes radio's do knock out batteries very fast as do alarms... hence mine is always on ehu at home.

Hope you get the batteries to come back to life.

Bob

Must say that I think that at least you should have an isolator switch fitted to your leisure batteries. There are isolator switches that operate from a control panel or simply those that connect directly to your battery terminals such as those used in boats and the like, really easy to fit!
Also vehicle battery and leisure battery, ne're the twain should meet!

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Normally they are fitted on yanks

Must say that I think that at least you should have an isolator switch fitted to your leisure batteries. There are isolator switches that operate from a control panel or simply those that connect directly to your battery terminals such as those used in boats and the like, really easy to fit!
Also vehicle battery and leisure battery, ne're the twain should meet!

These switches are normally on RV's (Yanks).. this is one of the older breed, but I think they sill had them fitted at the factory.

On my RV it is a main part of closing the RV down..

Bob

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if its just the stereo that flattens it maybe solar panels will help.
also fitting a 230volt charger like the ctek ones may help as i assume (probably wrongly) the one factory fitted on the RV is a 110 volt one and is powered through a transformer.

robinwickens

Free Member
Oct 3, 2012
Bromyard
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2nd Year
This thread might hep!

Motorhome Facts
/ftopict-97009-battery.html+isolation :Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Bob I do have the switch on the dash to use the house batteries as a back up should the main go flat.
I do disconnect all the batteries when I lay up, it was just that damn radio poltergeist!
Lesson learned, I'm just getting fed up, every time we have been out in her lately something happens to spoil it.:Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back