Dehumidifiers - advice please (1 Viewer)

MJ65

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 17, 2012
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Folks I really would value advice,we have a 2007 Swift Sundance 630G, our first motorhome which we bought earlier this year and while we are struggling to get out in it enough, we love it. Coming up to winter and soon to be out of the dealer warranty I want to do the right thing in storing her, parked in our drive and can be on hook up as needed.

Firstly is a dehumidifier a good idea? The weather station in the van shows 80% humidity inside after being shut up for the last 2 weeks. Is this an issue? The weather station may of course be useless, I don't know and the external sensor does not work, so will buy a replacement station at some point, jsut to know temperature in/out and humidity.

For a dehumidifier I am thinking of this product, your thoughts please?

http://www.energybulbs.co.uk/produc...siccant+Dehumidifier+(DD122FW+MK5)/3073230053

Not inexpensive but I absolutely want to ensure the van stays in best state as even though it's 5 yrs old it appears externally and internally to be in great condition. Though a Motorhome technitian did tell me this model is prone to damp, which is an obvious concern, hence my desire to minimise the risk.

Over to the experts for your advice from a newbie...

Last edited:

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
i have often wondered about the pro's and con's of using a dehumidiffier and also would like some advice please,(is your 1997 van really only 5 year old).:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MJ65

MJ65

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 17, 2012
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
oops, orignal post said built 1997, meant 2007!!

Having a moment, the van is indeed 5 yrs old not 15!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
As its a swift I would ask the question on the swift forum, 85% humidity seems quite high to me but I'm no expert. From what I have read on other forums quite a few put small heaters in the vans over the winter.
Ron

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dehumidifiers can in some cases be a curse drawing damp air in at the same time as trapping some

motorhomes are built to breath, with air vents and gaps built into skylights. better to put an oil filled radiator in there on a timer if neccesary. only needs to be on tickover to prevent freezing air on the surfaces.

a very good tip is to lift all seat cushions up and open a few top locker doors to allow airflow through winter. also dont leave roller blinds pulled down all winter, as the springs fail. oh and clean the toilet thoroughly then leave the slide open, same as with the fridge

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
dehumidifiers can in some cases be a curse drawing damp air in at the same time as trapping some

motorhomes are built to breath, with air vents and gaps built into skylights. better to put an oil filled radiator in there on a timer if neccesary. only needs to be on tickover to prevent freezing air on the surfaces.

a very good tip is to lift all seat cushions up and open a few top locker doors to allow airflow through winter. also dont leave roller blinds pulled down all winter, as the springs fail. oh and clean the toilet thoroughly then leave the slide open, same as with the fridge

Good advice :thumb:

Peter

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
coldstreamer

Hi MJ65,
iI am a great believer in de -humidifiers having used one in various vans over the last 20 yrs. Some years ago I had the previledge of working in a flooded village with Canadian engineers, they flew in these huge dehumidifiers, sealed all doors and winows of the houses, put in heaters that raised the temp to 8oF for six hours, then turned the dryers on. The water pumped out of a 6 inch hose for 10 hrs, then when you went indoors it was like a desert.
Living near the coast we are prone to damp winters (and summers) I have tried many methods of using them. But the proof of the pudding was when I ran a dehumidifier all night with a empty van, no cushions no clothes all doors open all vents shut. Next morning just under a pint of water in the container. Next day returned all the cushions etc. next morning just short of 4 pints of water. I run the dehumidifier on a timer for 3 hrs during the night and rarely have more than half a pint a day. I do this from Oct to March and never have a problem. Best Regards Mac

Upvote 0

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Dehumidifiers

Hi . I use a dehumidifier [D] every year with no problems at all. A ' D' will keep the air in your van dry and as it circulates it will draw out dampness out of your furnishings ,so reducing the cause of mildue and fungus growth. It do's not draw damp air from out side the van Any that may enter due to draft ect is dried in the prosess. A good 'D' will allow you to regulate the humidity inside the van. After a period of living in a confind space the furnishings can become damp due to the action of breathing,cooking ext. A 'D' will dry the inside of the van so keeping every thing sweet and dry over the winter period. When you first switch a 'D' on you will be gobsmacked at the amount of water it will recover from inside the van. This will greatly reduce as the van dry's out.
If you leave a heater runing inside it wil creat damp air from the furnishings.[Warm air hold water vapper, cold air do's not] With a 'D' the inside of the van will feel warmer and more comfortuble. Damp air will always feel cold due to the evaperation afect on the skin. Follow the science.
All been said, a 'D' works really first class for us over the 8 years we have had the van.
I hope this is of helps ,, :thumb: Pudseykeith

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I have my van on the drive on hook up with an oil- filled electric heater set to low on the thermostat. I don't 'winterise' the van, just leave a vent open and some lockers open, fridge doors open - even leave some clothes and dry food. I use the van over Winter when I can - just get in and go - in a nicely warmed van, no ice on the windows, no condensation:thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
MJ65

MJ65

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 17, 2012
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Ummm, thank you all so far for comments

I'm probably more confused now than previous as there seem to be two schools of thought. I planned to have a small heater for when temps fall below maybe 1 or 2C inside Van but was of the opinion that a dehumidifier, with hose, and set to a suitable level would be good insurance not drying the van to a crisp but stopping it getting too humid/damp. 80% humidity on our inside humidity gauge was a concern, though not sure if 80% is bad.

thanks for all your comments thus far.

MJ

Upvote 0

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi, its a very good idea to use a humidity machine,we have used ours for around 9years now in our mh, set at 50% then when spring comes put it on full for one night, we are so pleased with the results that we bought one for our home! great for drying cloths during winter periods, i would recomend a good quality one not one of these chinese cheapos, again its your choice, but i strongly recomend them,cheers Alf:thumb:

Upvote 0

robinwickens

Free Member
Oct 3, 2012
Bromyard
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2nd Year
When on hook up we always run a small de-humidifier, the noise level is minimum and it is really surprising how much the humidity rises in a confined space when you sleep, shower and cook.
Also when in storage without hook up we use the gel type de-humidifiers which are really cheap. One in the shower area and one in the kitchen area.
Come back a month later and you will find out how effective these actually are!
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
When on hook up we always run a small de-humidifier, the noise level is minimum and it is really surprising how much the humidity rises in a confined space when you sleep, shower and cook.
Also when in storage without hook up we use the gel type de-humidifiers which are really cheap. One in the shower area and one in the kitchen area.
Come back a month later and you will find out how effective these actually are!
Hope this helps.

Good advice!

Large dehumdifiers with dry everything out completely, you really do not want to draw all the moisture out of the wood - it needs it for strength or else it will become brittle.

A small 'Egg' type will suffice, and as above, the gel type are excellent for that 'middle ground' - they cost a pound each for the large ones and they will last a few months.

Heat the van by all means, but do it occasionally and GENTLY - don't let it get too warm or you will cause condensation to form - you need an 'ambient' temperature. Something like 16-18 degrees.

And of course - keep lockers, doors and wardrobes open as any temp change needs to be kept uniform.

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I do the same

Hi MJ65,
iI am a great believer in de -humidifiers having used one in various vans over the last 20 yrs. Some years ago I had the previledge of working in a flooded village with Canadian engineers, they flew in these huge dehumidifiers, sealed all doors and winows of the houses, put in heaters that raised the temp to 8oF for six hours, then turned the dryers on. The water pumped out of a 6 inch hose for 10 hrs, then when you went indoors it was like a desert.
Living near the coast we are prone to damp winters (and summers) I have tried many methods of using them. But the proof of the pudding was when I ran a dehumidifier all night with a empty van, no cushions no clothes all doors open all vents shut. Next morning just under a pint of water in the container. Next day returned all the cushions etc. next morning just short of 4 pints of water. I run the dehumidifier on a timer for 3 hrs during the night and rarely have more than half a pint a day. I do this from Oct to March and never have a problem. Best Regards Mac

I do the same and it works for me... I tend to leave it on most of the colder part of the night .. 6 hours.. I have it on the kitchen work top and it drains out.. you can see the water in the morning under the back of the RV.. Got my from Screwfix.. £129.

Bob

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi if you are going to use DEH then block as many vents up as possible or it will simply keep dragging in all the cold wet moisture laden air :Eeek::Doh:::bigsmile:
terry

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
up to recent

I have my van on the drive on hook up with an oil- filled electric heater set to low on the thermostat. I don't 'winterise' the van, just leave a vent open and some lockers open, fridge doors open - even leave some clothes and dry food. I use the van over Winter when I can - just get in and go - in a nicely warmed van, no ice on the windows, no condensation:thumb:

Up to recent we did the same leaving everything on board.. but now it is up for sale we have taken the food and clothes and bedding off... with a couple of tube heaters.. one in the bathroom, one in the main area and a dehumidifier on 6 hours a night in the bad moths.. the RV is always dry .....

Bob

Upvote 0

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Jeez, your van is,nt up for sale is it bob:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

EVERYTHING needs a certain amount of moisture in it, the air, fibres, composites, cupboards....drag all the moisture out, and you are altering its composition. dehumidifiers, by their nature, are their own salesmaen...you see one work, and you WANT one..............but you dont NEED one, if you did, you would have a problem.
To avoid extreme weather affecting your MH, the tube heater on "frost" is as safe as you will get, as well as either using it, or opening it up and sitting in it having a cuppa every now and then, best to keep an eye on it anyway:thumb:

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Last winter we lifted all of the cushions and seats/bed up so the air could circulate and left the Truma on a low thermostat setting and had no problems. We have the MH at home on hook up and use it as often as we can, so it is always ready for a quick getaway.
Didn't notice any increase in the leccy bill, other than the normal rip off price hikes.
We will be doing the same this year as the least bit of good (ish) weather is all the excuse we need.
We also opened all of the cupboards, even though they still contained our normal supplies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Hi if you are going to use DEH then block as many vents up as possible or it will simply keep dragging in all the cold wet moisture laden air :Eeek::Doh:::bigsmile:
terry

Thats very true Terry as long as air gets in the DEH will keep running

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MJ65

MJ65

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 17, 2012
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Humidity Meter probably faulty

On replacing the humidity meter I now have a reading of 59% inside and 62% RH outside. Are these numbers OK in the opinion of those in the know? This is without any dehumidifier.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
We have used dehumidifiers whilst overwintering in the 5'er very succesfully both in the UK down to -12 and in the somewhat warmer, but occasionally very wet, areas of southern europe.Our 5'er is single glazed and we would not be without the dehum, heat is essential as they gradually become less efficient as the temperature drops.

Dehumidifiers exhaust warmer air into the same space that they draw air in from and do not create any pressure drop inside that would 'drag' wet air in from outside. Obviously fresh(damp) air circulates through the vents in the normal way, we have always left vents open.

We have a static caravan in Southern Brittany which is left empty from October until May, it can be very wet and temperatures can drop to -8. In this we use lots of dehumidifying crystals in plastic containers around the van, cover most of the windows with foil insulation and leave all the vents open. When we return in May everything is fresh and dry but some of the plastic containers have filled to overflowing so now place them in bowls. These are not particularly cheap but are effective when no electricity supply is available, but the cost of running low heat and a dehum may be similar.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back