Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Hi all, finally took the plunge for an old transit minibus now known as TOBY:Smile: Don`t really know where to start but I have removed all 16 seats after having the van checked as ok.
We are looking at layouts for small camper but wife and I are undecided as yet.
Any advice about insulation . The van is factory lined but I don`t know what is under it and I would not like to remove unless necessary. Can anybody help as this would be my starting point? Any advice for a good order of progress
Thanks......Bruce

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS

Thanks same interest Beer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Bruce, we have a number of self builders here so you're in good company, sadly I'm not one of them, I can't assemble even the simplest piece of flat pack without getting myself in a big tiz. When it comes to DIY my Mrs says I have the patience of a psycopath:Smile: love selfbuilds though so please do post some pics of your work. Meanwhile, welcome to the fun:thumb:

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi and welcome. Cant offer any advice I'm afraid but there are plenty that can, just wanted to say hello
Kath :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi all, finally took the plunge for an old transit minibus now known as TOBY:Smile: Don`t really know where to start but I have removed all 16 seats after having the van checked as ok.
Any advice about insulation . [HI]The van is factory lined but I don`t know what is under it and I would not like to remove unless necessary. Can anybody help as this would be my starting [/HI]point? Any advice for a good order of progress
Thanks......Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I did a self build some years ago on a bare Renault panel van .. I think you'll find that the lining is just that, purely deorative without proper insulation .. easiest way is to remove a small section and have a look..

In the meantime, welcome to the forum and good luck with the build.. we have several other home builders who will be along soon with more advice .

jim

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Bruce and welcome :thumb:Have a look at ours Link Removed Done several vans but like this layout better than any other :thumb:Insulation can be stuffed loft insulation(cheap) ,buble wrap type(bit more) or Therma board :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Hi Bruce and welcome :thumb:Have a look at ours Link Removed Done several vans but like this layout better than any other :thumb:Insulation can be stuffed loft insulation(cheap) ,buble wrap type(bit more) or Therma board :thumb:
terry[/QU0TE
Terry you have excelled makes me wonder if I should buy a camping stove and throw a mattress in the back and just drive. (ONLY KIDDING)
Again well done enjoy................Bruce

norrie14

Free Member
Apr 24, 2011
glasgow
Funster No
MH
roller team
Exp
transit

hi i have just converted a transit and am in glasgow if you would like to see mine and any advise i can give let me know

Any advice about insulation . The van is factory lined but I don`t know what is under it and I would not like to remove unless necessary. Can anybody help as this would be my starting point? Any advice for a good order of progress
Thanks......Bruce

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
minibus conversion

Hi thanks for your offer of having a look at your conversion . It would be good to see it (and pick your brains). Where abouts are you? We are in Whiteinch by Victoria Pk
Hope to hear from you soon.........Bruce and Irene

norrie14

Free Member
Apr 24, 2011
glasgow
Funster No
MH
roller team
Exp
conversion

hi bruce
i am in east end i shall be giong to drumchapel tomorrow lunch time can drop in if you want or make other arangments ok

Hi thanks for your offer of having a look at your conversion . It would be good to see it (and pick your brains). Where abouts are you? We are in Whiteinch by Victoria Pk
Hope to hear from you soon.........Bruce and Irene

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
hi bruce
i am in east end i shall be giong to drumchapel tomorrow lunch time can drop in if you want or make other arangments ok

Great I can be here more or less anytime tomorrow at the moment.
I am at 18 Elm st Whiteinch just off Dumbarton Rd 2nd on the right after the kids nursery
Or I could give you a phone if you give me your number

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Great I can be here more or less anytime tomorrow at the moment.
I am at 18 Elm st Whiteinch just off Dumbarton Rd 2nd on the right after the kids nursery
Or I could give you a phone if you give me your number

Did you get this the laptop went a bit wonky

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Did you get this the laptop went a bit wonky

HI NORRIE SORRY BUT MISREAD YOUR MESSAGE IT WAS POSTED ON THE 3rd I READ IT TODAY THE 4th

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
G'Day Bruce, welcome to the fun. Insulation is the key to a sucessful conversion or you will be plagued with condensation. you have a coice of fixed transverse bed with storage under or a rock and roll type bed that would need to be made up every night Think about WC, and everything else you may well need then think where to put it all, will you use sites or wild camp, if the latter a solar panel will make the world of differance and wiring can go in whilst you are relining and insulating, even if panel goes on much later. Same goes for all wiring with provision for fridge, TV, Lights, waterpump and whatever else you may require. Do watch out for payload.
Good luck with the build. Always someone in chat of an evening if you need more advice.

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
G'Day Bruce, welcome to the fun. Insulation is the key to a sucessful conversion or you will be plagued with condensation. you have a coice of fixed transverse bed with storage under or a rock and roll type bed that would need to be made up every night Think about WC, and everything else you may well need then think where to put it all, will you use sites or wild camp, if the latter a solar panel will make the world of differance and wiring can go in whilst you are relining and insulating, even if panel goes on much later. Same goes for all wiring with provision for fridge, TV, Lights, waterpump and whatever else you may require. Do watch out for payload.
Good luck with the build. Always someone in chat of an evening if you need more advice.

Thanks for advice, it`s a very limited space so I am still looking at layouts that will suit us. And yeah there`s always someone ready to help.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Welcome to the Fun Bruce. Enjoy.

I can help you with your self build by posting photos of mine.

Then you will know exactly what not to do.

(Unless you only want to use it for trips on your own. :Rofl1)

JJ :Cool:

Seriously. the three most important things are insulation, insulation, insulation.

The large windows won't help this but your payload must be high given it used to carry people. :thumb:

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS

Seriously. the three most important things are insulation, insulation, insulation.

The large windows won't help this but your payload must be high given it used to carry people. :thumb:
[/QUOTE

YES PLEASE BE GOOD TO SEE PICS
PAYLOAD IS 3.3TON I THOUGHT WITH 16 SEATS AND 16 BIG PEOPLE IT WOULD BE OK WHATEVER I PUT IN BUT HAVE STILL BEEN WARNED TO WATCH THE WEIGHT............BRUCE

norrie14

Free Member
Apr 24, 2011
glasgow
Funster No
MH
roller team
Exp
conversion

hi bruce just got back from helping pal to move his boat my no is 0141 550 8014if you call

The large windows won't help this but your payload must be high given it used to carry people. :thumb:[/QUOTE

YES PLEASE BE GOOD TO SEE PICS
PAYLOAD IS 3.3TON I THOUGHT WITH 16 SEATS AND 16 BIG PEOPLE IT WOULD BE OK WHATEVER I PUT IN BUT HAVE STILL BEEN WARNED TO WATCH THE WEIGHT............BRUCE

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back