Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Ok all you really clever chaps and chappesses :roflmto:
I need some one sylable help here..... I have a Tom Tom on an iPaq unit, it is supposed to be the latest software and the mapping is only for UK. I need to get some maps for France and I have not got a clue how to go about it, so my question is, will some kindly soul please spend a while talking me through what I need to buy and how I load it into the little plastic box (iPaq) :thumb:?
Please keep all answers to a simple structure as possible :roflmto:
TIA

Keith

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Keith I would assume you need to go on the tomtom site and download the "western european" map, its about 1gig so be prepared for a long wait. £60 odd quid I think.

I connect up my classic tomtom through "tomtom home" which is a program you download from the tomtom site, whether that works with a ipaq I don't know.

Olley

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
TomTom Home will work with an Ipaq:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
TT Western Europe a great bit of mapping:thumb:

Kept me off the toll road in France:thumb:just as ordered:winky:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
TomTom Home will work with an Ipaq:Smile:

Hi Keith, that makes it easy then, as once you fire up tomtom home and connect your ipaq it searches it and tells you what upgrades/maps you can install, downloads and installs them for you as well. I think the western Europe map is about a 4 hour download and a further hour or two to install it on you device.

Have fun. :ROFLMAO:

Olley

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I have TT home with my TT Go 300 but for the life of me cant add LPG stations, Aldi, Tesco and so on:Doh::cry:

Got speed cameras but that's it:cry::cry::cry:

LPG station would be so good and I subscribe to the autogas site.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi John if your having problems, and assuming you have the POI's on you computer, connect the tomtom to your computer but don't use tomtom home, just go to "my computer" and you should see it under "Devices with removable storage" it won't say tomtom, just something like Removable disk click on it an then you should see a load of folders, one of which will say "Western Europe"

Now navigate to were you have your POI's on your computer, resize screens so you can see both the POI's and the tomtom, left click and drag your POI's into the "western Europe" folder, you must drag both the ov2 file and the bmp file to go with it and they must have the same name ie. aires2.ov2 aires2.bmp

And that's it, disconnect the tomtom fire it up, touch the centre of the screen, then preferences, then show POI and make sure you have a tick next to the POI's you want to appear on the map screen. Untick any you don't as too many POI's slow the tomtom down.

Olley

Julie798

Free Member
Dec 17, 2007
Funster No
aires

I too would like to put the aires on my tomtom, as we are going to france next weekend, but I am scared of making a mess of it, could i mess up the tomtom with not really knowing what I am doing? :cry:

Also can you tell me, i have a space for a card, do i need to put one in first, and can you tell me what I ask for in the shop, i think it is bigger than the card in my camera. There must be thousands of us, who have theses devices and can't work them properly Lol. :Doh:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi julie i only know a bit about the classic and similar tomtom's which all have slot in the front for an SD card, without this card in they will not work. The top of the range ones have a built-in-hard disk so don't need a card slot. What model do you have?

Olley

T

Terry Nathan

Deleted User
Hi julie i only know a bit about the classic and similar tomtom's which all have slot in the front for an SD card, without this card in they will not work. The top of the range ones have a built-in-hard disk so don't need a card slot. What model do you have?

Olley

Hi Olley

we have the Tom Tom with the built in hard disk. We've used it in UK, France Germany, Ireland, and now here in the States - allfrom the same hard disk. Fabulous piece ofkit.

Terry (in the Arizona sunshine)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Terry yes I had read they were good, about 20gig isn't it? so plenty of room for maps and songs.

I would like one but unfortunately my classic won't breakdown, maybe I need to drop it a few times :winky:

Olley (from an overcast suffolk.:cry:)

Julie798

Free Member
Dec 17, 2007
Funster No
tomtom

Hi

I have ( well i bought it for hubby for crimbo) a tomtom 720 traffic, but the plastic card in it isn't real its a dummy, so you put a new one in, but i don't know if you need to, i think you can download on to the machine itself, but I am not techno at all, still got 4 video recorders I don't know how to tape on, and they are obsolete now :ROFLMAO: better to laugh about eh! :Blush:

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi

I have ( well i bought it for hubby for crimbo) a tomtom 720 traffic, but the plastic card in it isn't real its a dummy, so you put a new one in, but i don't know if you need to, i think you can download on to the machine itself, but I am not techno at all, still got 4 video recorders I don't know how to tape on, and they are obsolete now :ROFLMAO: better to laugh about eh! :Blush:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I am glad that I am not alone Julie :ROFLMAO:
Thanks guys, I will start looking for whatever it is that I need :thumb:

Keith

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Julie your 720 has 2gig of internal flash memory so you don't need an SD card to make it work. By connecting it up to your computer you can load POI's into the memory in exactly the same way as you can with an SD card.

The blurb on tomtom's site says that western europe maps are preloaded so you should have about 1gig left for more maps/POI's as it can also play songs they can be loaded in as well.

If you do get an SD card for it, say with a load of songs on, don't get one bigger than 2gig. The ones over this size are HDSD and your tomtom won't read it.

There is an option in tomtom home to do a back up of your tomtom, it a sensible idea to do this, then if you do mess it up you can just reinstall.

Olley

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi John if your having problems, and assuming you have the POI's on you computer, connect the tomtom to your computer but don't use tomtom home, just go to "my computer" and you should see it under "Devices with removable storage" it won't say tomtom, just something like Removable disk click on it an then you should see a load of folders, one of which will say "Western Europe"

Now navigate to were you have your POI's on your computer, resize screens so you can see both the POI's and the tomtom, left click and drag your POI's into the "western Europe" folder, you must drag both the ov2 file and the bmp file to go with it and they must have the same name ie. aires2.ov2 aires2.bmp

And that's it, disconnect the tomtom fire it up, touch the centre of the screen, then preferences, then show POI and make sure you have a tick next to the POI's you want to appear on the map screen. Untick any you don't as too many POI's slow the tomtom down.

Olley

A big thanks Ian I have managed to do it:thumb:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
Hi Olley

we have the Tom Tom with the built in hard disk. We've used it in UK, France Germany, Ireland, and now here in the States - allfrom the same hard disk. Fabulous piece ofkit.

Terry (in the Arizona sunshine)

if you have european mapping and do not want to put on pi and Aries
could go on to french camping car site and print of a list of sites with there coronets .i look at there location to see and towns first be fore printing .its a long way to do it but i no that these are the places to visit or stop on :thumb:

Julie798

Free Member
Dec 17, 2007
Funster No
poi

HI
I have followed the insructions, but it doesn't appear that the aires are on my tomtom, how do i check they have downloaded Lol.
I think i am going to drive myself mad, we haven't a local person 9 Bolton area) would like to show me :cry:
When i look on the tomtom on my computer it shows them on my tomtom, but it doesnt show them when i follow the route on my tomtom screen :Blush:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Julie have you got them in the "western europe" folder? the other reason you may not see them is that you haven't got them ticked.

To check that they are ticked, touch the centre of the screen, then "preferences", then "show POI" and make sure you have a tick next to the POI's you want to appear on the map screen. Untick any you don't as too many POI's slow the tomtom down. his some pics which may help.

Olley

Attachments

• P1040021.jpg
    P1040021.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 37
  • P1040022.jpg
    P1040022.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 37
  • P1040023.jpg
    P1040023.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 37
  • P1040024.jpg
    P1040024.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 36
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Julie this is what you should see when you connect the tomtom to the computer. In the first pic, the western Europe folder is over to the right, the second pic shows what you will see if you click on that folder and then select details from the drop down menu. You can then scroll down and see if your POI is in the list.

You obviously won't have all the same POI's as me.

Olley

Attachments

• P1040025.jpg
    P1040025.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 34
  • P1040027.jpg
    P1040027.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 19

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Hey Keith, dont be so tite mate, bite the bullet and get the Hard drive model. So easy to use and everywheres on it, even the US of A. Thanks for that tip on loading the POIs Olley, Ive had trouble trying to load LPG stations and low bridges etc off this forum. m Will try it later. The only thing I thought was a bit naff on the hard drive model was this ability to connect by bluetooth to your phone. It works ok but in a noisy ducato cab the volume on max was crap and unusable. I couldnt hear what people were saying so stopped using it.

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi Olly
thanks for the info on the western euro folder wondered were the aires were, I have just had tom tom put on my nokia phone and a blue tooth gps reader for the dash, its got ozi osbornes voice clean or f**kin version and works well as these get more popular it will be the end on a seperate dash mounted unit
Paul

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi paul whats the point of ozi's voice if he doesn't swear??
You missed that turn you f**king P**tt love it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Olley

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi paul whats the point of ozi's voice if he doesn't swear??
You missed that turn you f**king P**tt love it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Depends on the wife some time she swears and sometimes she tells me off for swearing, I lived in the part of brum for a while were ozi grue up and can take him off a treat so I can turn left at the f**king roundabout:ROFLMAO:
Paul

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Not tight Tony, I wanted a full spec PDA and a sat nav, and as I had an iPaq with Co Pilot previously it seemed the sensible thing to get.... The reason that I went for Tom Tom over Co Pilot was because getting POI etc downloads was supposed to be easier??? Now I am not so sure and I certainly don't think that TT is better than Co Pilot, so maybe a backward step??? :Eeek: Co Pilot has an RV mode, which works well.....
I will hopefully catch someone at one of the shows, who can talk me through this nightmare :roflmto::roflmto:

Keith

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hey Keith, dont be so tite mate, bite the bullet and get the Hard drive model. So easy to use and everywheres on it, even the US of A. Thanks for that tip on loading the POIs Olley, Ive had trouble trying to load LPG stations and low bridges etc off this forum. m Will try it later. The only thing I thought was a bit naff on the hard drive model was this ability to connect by bluetooth to your phone. It works ok but in a noisy ducato cab the volume on max was crap and unusable. I couldnt hear what people were saying so stopped using it.

couldn't agree more, and they couldn't hear me either, Tony. turned mine off it was so bad.
try getting it to read text messages, no-one programed it for abreviations. you end up reading it on-screen so turned that off as well.

john.

Julie798

Free Member
Dec 17, 2007
Funster No
tomtom

I must be thick, because i just can't download theses aires, so I have given up Lol

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Julie just a thought, have you checked which map your tomtom is using? I have both Great Britain Plus and Western Europe on my tomtom, any POI's that are in the GB plus folder will not show up if I have told the tomtom to use Western Europe maps, and vica versa.

Go to preferences, click through the screens until you come to "Switch maps" This idea came to me today, after I spent 30 minutes trying to puzzle out why I couldn't get some new POI's to work, before remembering I had selected GB plus maps last week. :Doh:

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back