Problem, Any "macnics" out there (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Oh wise and wonderful ones:clap::notworthy:

Once again I'm in need of Mechanical Advice:Sad: And as usual all advice gratefully received:winky:

The Heat Exchanger, (the bit twixt the Oil Filter and the Engine Block) How do you fix it in?
Do you have to drop the Sump? There doesn't seem to be any bolt holes(for want of a better word) there's the two connections for the coolant hoses, and a little tag thingee on top. Have sat looking at the damn thing, but just can't figure it out:Doh:

Any ideas?

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Oh wise and wonderful ones:clap::notworthy:

Once again I'm in need of Mechanical Advice:Sad: And as usual all advice gratefully received:winky:

The Heat Exchanger, (the bit twixt the Oil Filter and the Engine Block) How do you fix it in?
Do you have to drop the Sump? There doesn't seem to be any bolt holes(for want of a better word) there's the two connections for the coolant hoses, and a little tag thingee on top. Have sat looking at the damn thing, but just can't figure it out:Doh:

Any ideas?
any. chance of a picture of what you have

where its going

i assume if your retrofitting
there is a spacer fits between the engine block and filter
complete with take off points either male or female outlet/inlets
:thumb:

OP
OP
rangi
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
No this is not retro fit:Sad: It's a replacement of a part that developed a pin hole leak.

The Oil Filter screws into this piece, and presumable the engines coolant flows thro to "exchange heat" from the Oil, the part it's self is attatched to the Engine Block, the oil comes from there,thro the filter then back to the sump' so there must be some way of FIRMLY attatching it to the Block, otherwise the oil will be lost.

As for a picture:Doh: I'm a luddite as far as Putors are concerned, couple of bricks short of a lorry load:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Do you mean " heat axcahnger" or Oil cooler? as you mention dropping sump ( oil! ) and coolant hoses ( water! ):Smile:
i'm assuming also its a Ducato?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
does it look like this?

Attachments

• ducato oil cooler.jpg
    ducato oil cooler.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 42

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
You need to give us more of a clue engine size and year and make

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
or is it a mini radiator????:Eeek:

if its the first picture it goes under the oil filter ( between it and the engine block).:thumb:

if its a mini radiator it will hang ( usually with some plastic clips ) somewhere where it can get airflow ( near the grille):thumb:

but as mentioned above, really need more info to help:RollEyes:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I think you are talking about the oil cooler - a 'cylinder' type odd shaped think between. The stay in place with two lugs, if these break (usually if the oil filter has been put on without oiling the seal first) then you will have to hold it with a monkey wrench to get the filter off.

Had it on one of our when we first serviced it - looked like some idiot had put it on dry. Had to take the oil cooler off with the filter and get it on the bench!

Have any problems then I could take a look at it, but won't be tomorrow as I am stacked out.

OP
OP
rangi
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
does it look like this?

Good on you PHILD THATS THE THING:thumb:

And silly me forgot to mention its on a 02Rego Fiat 1.9 tdi donkey(engine:Doh:

OP
OP
rangi
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
or is it a mini radiator????:Eeek:

[HI][HI]if its the first picture it goes under the oil filter ( between it and the engine block).:thumb:[/HI]
[/HI]
if its a mini radiator it will hang ( usually with some plastic clips ) somewhere where it can get airflow ( near the grille):thumb:

but as mentioned above, really need more info to help:RollEyes:

That's it the very thing:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the thread that holds the oil filter should either have a nut on holding the cooler on or it will have an allen key type socket inside and will unscrew from the engine block.

OP
OP
rangi
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Thanks Fellas for all your info, knew you'd come through.:thumb::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

There's a hollow stud that holds the Exchanger to the block, this provides the male thread for the Oil Filter:thumb:

OP
OP
rangi
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Just an update in case anyone else has the same prob, the hollow shaft has a hexagonal on it , that attatches it to the engine block:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back