Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Had a few over the years. Ive put up with their dodgy mounts, dodgy maps and expensive map upgrades. Now it keeps letting me down, it just stopped working twice in Lincoln last week. Then very often the map just disappears, the instructions are there but no road.:Eeek: Now they want £50 to upgrade my 1 year old map. Well they are not getting another penny from me.

Looking at this Garmin, http://www.johnlewis.com/231547412/Product.aspx I especially like the free lifetime map update part.:Smile: Who has an opinion on Garmin satnavs - Thanks

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Get a SNOOPER Jim - its got all the Acsii sites and Camperstop Europe sites which includes most of the Aires in France on it plus other stuff as well:thumb:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Sat Navs will not be sold in a couple of years they will all be free/penny apps on Ip's or Android phones or tablets.

Interesting for social history but not much else.

Good value but look on this as being for 3 years tops.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Thanks for this Jim. We thought it was our cab overhang was the problem, but could not understand how random this was. Free map updates on the Garmin looks good, as does that advance get in right lane feature.
Just waiting for Garmin comments now.
Another request folks, anyone using iPad for navigation, how good is it and what bracket do you use please?

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I,ve been using a garmin nuvi for the last 3 years,got the updated europe maps.I got it because of the big screen ,I find it,s not so good as my Navman for getting the routes right,buy i couldn,t get updated maps for the navman:Angry:.The Garmin tends to take you round the houses a bit,like a woman,treat it right dont get angry with it and it,s a dream.Too often it freezes ,usually at a crucial roundabout or intersection.Now whats the model of that Snooper?:Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I wouldn't swap my antiquated TomTom 700 for anything. It has the whole of Europe down to Turkey and Morocco on it with all the Aires and Stellplats as Hagers will confirm :thumb:. Never had any problems with it at all. New technology is not always best.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought a Garmin Nuvi 1300T about 2 and a half years ago after getting sick of Tom Tom mapping and upgrade costs. I also bought a lifetime map subscription so probably paid a little more than JL are asking for the 2445LMT.

There were one or two features I missed first off (differences between Garmin & Tom Tom) but overall the Garmin is better IMO. Lane Assist is very good but the Traffic information is just a gimmick and you are better off setting the radio to get the traffic broadcasts.

I looked at Snooper and spoke to some of their people at a show but they put me off by total refusal to contemplate allowing addition of user PoIs - sort of Apple attitude, you get what we think is good for you.

I also wouldn't go for any of the so-called caravan editions because the base mapping is just the same. Most PoIs that motorhomers would want are downloadable either free or cheaply.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Sat Navs will not be sold in a couple of years they will all be free/penny apps on Ip's or Android phones or tablets.

Interesting for social history but not much else.

Good value but look on this as being for 3 years tops.

I already have sat-nav on my phone, Samsung galaxy S3, but the screen would be a bit small to see whilst driving so would still want to use my Snooper or similar large unit.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
just an added bit of info,my brother uses a small netbook on a cradle,with autoroute and a gps dongle £20 from maplin.
ref the garmin.The lane information and pop up pics of approaching motorway junctions are great,but still let down by the idiscriminate freezing,may be improved on later models,mines a nuvi 1490.cheers

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
To be honest I have been thinking about one of these on evilbay

Link Removed
or
Link Removed

look good for the money just waiting for the seller to be back from holiday to ask some questions

I used to have an old garmin very old street pilot 111, it was good with free map upgrades but was a hassle cos had to do everything via comp (it was in the days of buy blank mem sticks and transfer from comp) having to type everything in full though was not fun.
Nothing wrong with my tomtom just have never upgraded the maps in the 4 years i have had it other than that mapshare thing and these are as cheap as an upgrade.

Last edited:

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
Link Removed

look good for the money just waiting for the seller to be back from holiday to ask some questions[/QUOTE]
uk seller but based in china,don,t know how that works

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have had a Garmin Nuvi (number i cant remember) for 5 years now got the lifetime updates for one off payment of £75 which allows me to update 4 times a year i tend to do it about 2 times.

We haven't had many issues with it or its directions although pablomc might disagree when he was following us through parts of France at Easter and we ended up on this little ferry on the plus side ferry was free :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Friends of ours use their Ipad and have a bracket screwed on to the bottom of the drop down bed in their a class Hymer works really well and massive screen compared to ours.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Link Removed

look good for the money just waiting for the seller to be back from holiday to ask some questions
uk seller but based in china,don,t know how that works

quite a few items are like that, a lot of the LEDs and solar panels etc are from china but with uk sellers

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Had a few over the years. Ive put up with their [HI]dodgy mounts[/HI], [HI]dodgy maps and expensive map upgrades[/HI]. Now it keeps letting me down, it just stopped working twice in Lincoln last week. Then very often the map just disappears, the instructions are there but no road.:Eeek: Now they want £50 to upgrade my 1 year old map. Well they are not getting another penny from me.

Looking at this Garmin, http://www.johnlewis.com/231547412/Product.aspx I especially like the free lifetime map update part.:Smile: Who has an opinion on Garmin satnavs - Thanks

Well I'm on my third TOM TOM, wouldn't look at anything else as I've never been let down. In fact Mike Beeches is buying my 5 month old 1000 Europe from me and I was going to splash out on the 1005 Europe Camper job at £380-£399, that is how much faith I have in the product.

As regards mounts, the mount that you get with the 1000 and 1005 is brilliant plus the magnetic placement makes mounting and storing a piece of cake..... are you sure it's not pilot error Jim?
:winky:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We still have the Garmin Nuvi 660 but the bloody thing will still send you down roads you should'nt ought to be on. I remember trying to avoid the M1 road works at Luton a few years back. The Garmin never sent me the same way twice which was a bit disconcerting:Angry:

The Snooper takes account of the MH size and routes accordingly. Just done 2500 miles in France and apart from an operator faux pax which consequently sent us through the middle of Dijon, it worked very well indeed:Smile:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Another request folks, anyone using iPad for navigation, how good is it and what bracket do you use please?

Used a TomTom 720 and an Ipad down and back to Italy this year. Ipad was slow in kicking back into life coming off the Ferry at Calais but picked up a signal on the boat on the way back. Apart from that little difference(the ipad (male) was always 5 seconds faster then the 720 (female) which sounded like a nag).

Large display for old eyes was brilliant - just waiting for them to put the motorhome version as an option.

I did not buy a bracket but threaded a shoe string between the two centre air vents (the vents still worked and could be moved up and down, and left and right). The Ipad is then looped throught this and held with its cover (not an Apple cover). Easy to attach and detach and no tell-tail sucker marks. On my car this covers the radio (buttons on steering wheel) and heating controls (auto aircon so not an issue). A lot cheaper, safer and more robust option than any bracket

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I use CoPilot Live on my iPhone. Works a treat and you can download the maps you want to use in Europe to save space. Its main downside was that you cannot officially add bulk POIs, but there is a work around and it does not involve jail breaking. :winky:

It has an RV mode which mainly prevents it from telling you to u-turn if you miss a turn and also the route preferences and speeds can be user set dependant on vehicle type selected.

No really problems apart from it screaming at me when we where heading for a ferry crossing at Easter when following Gerry. :roflmto:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Well I'm on my third TOM TOM, wouldn't look at anything else as I've never been let down. In fact Mike Beeches is buying my 5 month old 1000 Europe from me and I was going to splash out on the 1005 Europe Camper job at £380-£399, that is how much faith I have in the product.

As regards mounts, the mount that you get with the 1000 and 1005 is brilliant plus the magnetic placement makes mounting and storing a piece of cake..... are you sure it's not pilot error Jim?
:winky:

Used to swear by it. The mount issue was about 3 generations ago, but debated plenty here on fun, it would just fall off and break. My last one the touchscreen went doolally and it took an age to input a postcode as it kept inputting letters and numbers other than those we were typing. That was a 910. Now this one 1000 really is poor, its needed upgrades because a software glitch meant it would not pick up a signal, that was fixed and now I have this intermittent freezing stuff and the map disappearing. All TT want is me to fork out for a new map. :Doh: Their customer service?.. Well they couldn't spell it..let alone deliver it..

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I've had a nüvi 255W for about 4 years and purchased the lifetime maps a couple of years ago. Nice wide screen. Don't use half the features. Battery life OK when I can't be bothered to plug it in. Has received a few software updates with no issues. No freezing so far.

I've learnt the hard way not to blindly follow its advice and it took a while to realise that the "quickest route" option was not great unless you liked single-track roads all the time!

Overall though, it usually does a better job than me when it comes to navigating unfamiliar roads. Mind you, that's not difficult :Blush:

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Used to swear by it. The mount issue was about 3 generations ago, but debated plenty here on fun, it would just fall off and break. My last one the touchscreen went doolally and it took an age to input a postcode as it kept inputting letters and numbers other than those we were typing. That was a 910. Now this one 1000 really is poor, its needed upgrades because a software glitch meant it would not pick up a signal, that was fixed and now I have this intermittent freezing stuff and the map disappearing. All TT want is me to fork out for a new map. :Doh: Their customer service?.. Well they couldn't spell it..let alone deliver it..

Hi Jim,
By coincidence I got an email from . yesterday offering this Garmin

Garmin Nuvi 2350 4.3" SatNav with UK + Full Europe (East & West) Maps

Part No: 010-00902-16Stock Code: 12625578
productimage.aspx

For £79 for the full euro map version, no idea wether it would suit you, but a good price never the less, the pic came from the website that will supply it via Groupon .... Box Ltd of Birmingham, priced at £169.99, so a good saving through Groupon,

Ken. :thumb: :drink:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I've had a Nuvi 255 I think for 5 years fantastic bit of kit. Its never frozen works really fast and has a sd slot for alternative maps its very simple no bells and whistles just guides you to destination. Used it all over the USA 49 states all over Europe in RV 4x4 and the Hymer never missed a beat. Also have a Garmin Zumo on the motorbike very expensive but the only Sat nav thats capable of being used for serious overland travel and used by 99% of all overland adventure riders. TT make a bike satnav but its a joke.
Also tried a Snooper but sent it back and got a refund I was not impressed for the price and I've tried a TT in the Rv again not impressed so for me theres only one choice Garmin.:thumb:

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I have had a Garmin Dezl t560 for 9 months, still got an 10 year old tom Tom one.

Thoughts on Garmin:

Too a bit of getting used to changing from Tom Tom
Does what it says on the tin!
When I bought mine they were not offering free map updates, spit spit spit!!!!
Do not download map updates over wireless internet unless you have infinity!
Use a USB cable for faster data transfer
first unit gave up ghost and locked out after 4 months. Garmin replaced immediately and had reloaded all data on old Garmin onto replacement
Second one sometimes is slow to start up - have to keep on button down for 30 seconds to get it to start. This seems to happen if you have been driving for a while and stop at a service station
You have to press accept on a number of legal pages about not adjusting unit when driving every time it sets up. - probably for US legal reasons.

Would I buy one again - probably as we are used to it now, but would be interested to see the new Tom Tom motorhome unit, but which is dearer than the Garmin especially now it has the free map updates
What makes us laugh is the ladies pronounciation of French Road names - about as good as our French!!!

We looked at the Snooper but as we have a MAC the Snooper is not compatable with a MAC.

Been round the continent with the Garmin for 8 weeks and 3000 miles+ and only took us up one doggy road - well doggy for us as it was going over the mountains on narrow roads - we bottled out and set Garmin up for fastest route rather than shortest and everything was fine!!!

We have christen ours Lucy - Lucy in the sky with diamonds!

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
I have had access to several sat navs over the years through work, Garmin, tom Tom, Binatone and another that I forgotten the name of. My heart used to sink if the Garmin was out. I hated the Binatone with a passion and the Tom Tom never let me down but for me the Garmin was streets ahead,
Hope that helps
Kath

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I have TOMTOM on my iPad and consequently on my iPhone . Cost about £70 no charge for updates as is an app and updated all the time. I like the fact that I can browse in map view for a big an area as I need- a whole country if necessary! You can get cradles for it to sit on the dash.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
We still have the Garmin Nuvi 660 but the bloody thing will still send you down roads you should'nt ought to be on. I remember trying to avoid the M1 road works at Luton a few years back. The Garmin never sent me the same way twice which was a bit disconcerting:Angry:

The Snooper takes account of the MH size and routes accordingly. Just done 2500 miles in France and apart from an operator faux pax which consequently sent us through the middle of Dijon, it worked very well indeed:Smile:
Totally agree with you regarding the Garmin ,I have the zumo 660 (bike version) Sends you down totally illogical roads,when you set it for Fastest route,it still sends you down single track roads,this year in France could see the main road we wanted about 100 yards ahead,but the garmin tried to send us down a small lane that run along side the main road for about 2 miles,have no confidence in it,we still use it but in conjuction with a map.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We got this one from the same chap which also has a camera so we can use it for rear view/reversing too:

Link Removed

:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Any sat nav will only work as well as the software and the mapping it has available to it.

When we go down to see my Mum in Derbyshire the sat nave tries to send us down a narrow road with a very awkward junction onto the main road - but that is due to the fact that the mapping data doesn't show the road as narrow or the junction as awkward. The fact is that it is quicker than going the nearest alternative route so, as the machine is set up to provide the fastest route, that is what will be returned.

We all need to remember that a sat nav is only a tool. We have a truckers atlas in the van as well as the sat nav. I use that to check our route whilst Jill is driving and if I don't like the look of where the sat nav is taking us we take an alternative route. If we need to stop and do some replanning we do so.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We are using our new Tom Tom now in France and I hate it.

If it can save a hundred yards instead of staying on the main route it will take us down dried river beds.

Every trip I have to look it up on the map and of course the road numbers do not, or seldom match the map.

The safest way I have found is to always set it to go via somewhere and if necessary re programme it when I get where we have set it to go via.

My old Tom Tom Go was far better.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We have recently bought Garmin 2595 (I think) free map updates as our old Garmin nuvi660fm had not been updated for some time and did not recognise new roads.
Upto now it has been good if programmed with the right settings:ROFLMAO:
wondered why it would not take us over queen elizabeth bridge at Dartford, it cos I had it set to not go over tolls:Blush: realised now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back