Dell laptop charger question. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jan has managed to break (don't ask) the centre pin from the charging plug on the charger lead... those with Dells will know that this pin allows the laptop to recognise the charger... no pin and the laptop doesn't recognise the charger and while it still powers the laptop, won't charge the battery ..

Is a new charger the only option or is there a software workaround to fool the laptop ?

Steve_UK

Free Member
May 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Clubman GL
Exp
Since May 2012
I've managed to buy a couple on eBay for between £5 and £10 each. Obviously copies but, surprisingly, they worked OK. My view was that I was prepared to risk a few quid rather than splash out coming on for £100.

The reason I needed two was that two of my children had Dell laptops, not that one didn't last for long!

Main lesson learned - don't give Dells to children! Quite a number of people I know have had the same issue with their Dell power supply connectors. They don't seem to stand up to "heavy use", let alone any level of abuse.

Xan

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new
^ bump ^

+1 What Steve said.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Jim, I'm having the same problem with my Dell - haven't had to time to sort it out yet.:Eeek:

Steve, thanks for the tip about Ebay - I'll get looking ( when I figure out what I'm looking for!! :winky:).

Jan has managed to break (don't ask) the centre pin from the charging plug on the charger lead... those with Dells will know that this pin allows the laptop to recognise the charger... no pin and the laptop doesn't recognise the charger and while it still powers the laptop, won't charge the battery ..

Is a new charger the only option or is there a software workaround to fool the laptop ?

Steve_UK

Free Member
May 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Clubman GL
Exp
Since May 2012
Marie - just search for Dell <your model number> power supply.

Steve

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've managed to buy a couple on eBay for between £5 and £10 each. Obviously copies but, surprisingly, they worked OK. My view was that I was prepared to risk a few quid rather than splash out coming on for £100.

The reason I needed two was that two of my children had Dell laptops, not that one didn't last for long!

Main lesson learned - don't give Dells to children! Quite a number of people I know have had the same issue with their Dell power supply connectors. They don't seem to stand up to "heavy use", let alone any level of abuse.

Thanks Steve.. just had a look, there are generic ones from under a tenner and Dell 'genuine' for about twenty quid.. normally £85
I'll go with the 'genuine' and take it out of her housekeeping money :roflmto:

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks Steve.. just had a look, there are generic ones from under a tenner and Dell 'genuine' for about twenty quid.. normally £85
I'll go with the 'genuine' and take it out of her housekeeping money :roflmto:

Scotjimland

You are a brave man !!!!!, let me know when you get out of hospital,

Beerdrinker :thumb: :drink:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Scotjimland

You are a brave man !!!!!, let me know when you get out of hospital,

Beerdrinker :thumb: :drink:

well, I was going to give her an option to pay it off weekly .. then she said.. fine, don't expect sex until then,... I said.. what is sex :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

then it all kicked off.... :Eeek:

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
just in case you are looking for any dell part,have a look at the part number.I.E p/n C2894,you,ll probably need your specs ,also make sure its 19.5v output.google it and away you go,cheers pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back